Who is the best GOP alternative to Trump in 2024?

my2¢

So it goes
May 14, 2010
Arizona's Maricopa County
A recent opinion piece by the editor of The Arizona Republic editorial pages has aroused my interest in looking for the GOP candidate I'd best prefer nominated by the GOP in 2024. The closer we get to the election the less trust I have in what candidates say and so I figure it's a good time to start searching the field while politicians are more representative of their true selves.

In the editorial piece the commentator favors Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. He did a good job of arousing my curiosity, the key part being:

The liberal party understands that the real person who threatens their fortunes wasn’t playing the fairways at Mar-a-Lago last week, he was persuading Floridians to get their COVID-19 shots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is the future of the Republican Party. He has all the fight Donald Trump brings to the arena and all the Reagan charm Trump never had.
Democrats expect the Republicans to come to their senses and do to Trump what they should have done six months ago -- trade him in.

That's why they've spent the last six months pummeling DeSantis, trying to soften him up for his re-election as governor and his eventual rise as Republican nominee. None of it has worked, because DeSantis doesn’t govern like Trump – with a blow torch. He knows how to talk to a greater range of people and how to appeal to their more decent instincts.

A recent opinion piece by the editor of The Arizona Republic editorial pages has aroused my interest in looking for the GOP candidate I'd best prefer nominated by the GOP in 2024. The closer we get to the election the less trust I have in what candidates say and so I figure it's a good time to start searching the field while politicians are more representative of their true selves.

In the editorial piece the commentator favors Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. He did a good job of arousing my curiosity, the key part being:

The liberal party understands that the real person who threatens their fortunes wasn’t playing the fairways at Mar-a-Lago last week, he was persuading Floridians to get their COVID-19 shots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is the future of the Republican Party. He has all the fight Donald Trump brings to the arena and all the Reagan charm Trump never had.
Democrats expect the Republicans to come to their senses and do to Trump what they should have done six months ago -- trade him in.

That's why they've spent the last six months pummeling DeSantis, trying to soften him up for his re-election as governor and his eventual rise as Republican nominee. None of it has worked, because DeSantis doesn’t govern like Trump – with a blow torch. He knows how to talk to a greater range of people and how to appeal to their more decent instincts.

Evan McMullen. He's smart, well-educated and is well qualified by his background and work history. He is also decent and self disciplined.

I suspect that, assuming COVID doesn't wreck his state and he isn't able to blame it on someone else, DeSantis has the inside track right now, by far.

But it's getting tougher to believe Trump won't run. And DeSantis and the rest know that he'll ruin their careers if they run against him.

I suspect that, assuming COVID doesn't wreck his state and he isn't able to blame it on someone else, DeSantis has the inside track right now, by far.

But it's getting tougher to believe Trump won't run. And DeSantis and the rest know that he'll ruin their careers if they run against him.
Trump won't ruin any careers. What a fucking stupid thing to say, Mac. Really, with all your lies you've lost your credibility on this forum.

DeSantis is good. Jordan and Hawley would be good. They all have good leadership qualities. There are others who could emerge depending on the political climate. The Dems, on the other hand, have no possibilities since they locked up Michael Avanotti.

I don't believe that for a second. If Trump runs, of course he'll be uber-critical of his opponents, just as they will be with him. But DeSantis has been too successful as our Governor to be politically destroyed by someone like Trump...

They need to stick with trump. He has a confirmed track record of losing.

Evan McMullen. He's smart, well-educated and is well qualified by his background and work history. He is also decent and self disciplined

Interesting that he's the first out of the gate in this thread. He was the write-in candidate I went for when they handed me the choice between Hillary or Trump in 2016. Doubt he'll represent the party's best chance of winning back the presidency, which also will be a consideration.

Trump will be President and DeSantis will be his VP. Then DeSantis will be President and Jordan will be his VP. Then Jordan will be President............... Get the picture? Marxism-communism is dead in the USA. So is lawlessness

Trump being President is possible in 2024 but the rest of it will never happen…

With the Trumpsters. Irrelevant.
What does that mean. Remember when Lieberman and McCain were playing Jack and Jill with the lovefest crap they had. Then I see a Senate meeting where Lieberman is playing the former Senator bi partisan love back when he was Senator. What a fraud. So nice how he spoke.

Interesting that he's the first out of the gate in this thread. He was the write-in candidate I went for when they handed me the choice between Hillary or Trump in 2016. Doubt he'll represent the party's best chance of winning back the presidency, which also will be a consideration.
Who?

I think that is the response you would get from 99.99% of Americans.

But it's getting tougher to believe Trump won't run. And DeSantis and the rest knows that he'll ruin their careers if they run against him

Trump only cares for candidates that vocally support his stance on the 2020 election. Consider how very small that crowd is among Republicans holding office.

The editorial I linked in the opening thread expresses my view of Trump and that by 2024 the party will see the light that Trump's nomination rolls out the red carpet for Democrats.

The editorial I linked in the opening thread expresses my view of Trump and that by 2024 the party will see the light that Trump's nomination rolls out the red carpet for Democrats.
Yep, and I was saying that here before Trump was even elected:

This madness is opening the door for the hardcore Left, and that's not a good thing, either.

Trump only cares for candidates that vocally support his stance on the 2020 election. Consider how very small that crowd is among Republicans holding office.

The Republican standard bearer can not be a perceived RINO. There can be a difference or two in views, but no more.

What Democrat? It won't be Biden because he will be in a Home for the Terminally Bewildered. Kamala "Heels up" Harris will be about as popular as root canals with no anesthesia. Who else do they have?

Forum List

Back