Who is the best GOP alternative to Trump in 2024?

GOP is between a rock and a hard place

If a candidate does not pander and praise Trump, he will face the wrath of Trump and MAGA

If he does embrace Trump, he will bear all the burden that Trump brings and Dems will run their Trump playbook on him

Was the election of 2020 stolen?
Why didn’t you embrace vaccines
Why don’t you condemn the Jan 6 attacks?

Who is the best GOP alternative to Trump in 2024?​

inflatable-stick-horse~12_5939

If you think that government isn’t big enough, oppressive enough, intrusive enough, then support the CIA guy. Just the ticket for your ride on the boxcar. JFC

A recent opinion piece by the editor of The Arizona Republic editorial pages has aroused my interest in looking for the GOP candidate I'd best prefer nominated by the GOP in 2024. The closer we get to the election the less trust I have in what candidates say and so I figure it's a good time to start searching the field while politicians are more representative of their true selves.

In the editorial piece the commentator favors Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. He did a good job of arousing my curiosity, the key part being:

The liberal party understands that the real person who threatens their fortunes wasn’t playing the fairways at Mar-a-Lago last week, he was persuading Floridians to get their COVID-19 shots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is the future of the Republican Party. He has all the fight Donald Trump brings to the arena and all the Reagan charm Trump never had.
Democrats expect the Republicans to come to their senses and do to Trump what they should have done six months ago -- trade him in.

That's why they've spent the last six months pummeling DeSantis, trying to soften him up for his re-election as governor and his eventual rise as Republican nominee. None of it has worked, because DeSantis doesn’t govern like Trump – with a blow torch. He knows how to talk to a greater range of people and how to appeal to their more decent instincts.

The answer to your question is that it depends on what attributes in a candidate are most important to YOU, do you have a prioritized list to work from that you can then map each potential candidate to?

For example if you value the following in priority order:
1. Integrity
2.Adherence to principles in common with your own
3.Leadership ability/charisma
4.Managerial Skills
5.Electability

How would rate each potential candidate in each of those areas? What methodology would you use to evaluate candidate in each of those attributes? Are there any other intangibles that might influence your perception of each candidate?

Personally I could never really figure out why GOP voters arrived at the decision to nominate Donny other than the possibility that they thought he spoke to their anger and fear, beyond that he really doesn’t have any claim on integrity, principles or leadership ability/charisma. Perhaps an argument could be made for managerial skills but even that one is suspect given the chaotic nature of his past business dealings.

Personally the only Republican Candidate that I would ever have considered voting for was Ron Paul and sadly he’s no longer in the picture. Perhaps if someone like Robert Murphy, Walter Block or Tom Woods decided to run under the GOP banner (VERY unlikely) I consider voting for one ‘em, but then again since I loathe BOTH of the major parties, probably not.

Evan McMullen. He's smart, well-educated and is well qualified by his background and work history. He is also decent and self disciplined.

He's also a sure loser, a guaranteed 2nd place finisher. Great choice for the GOP if their goal in 2024 and beyond is to make nice with the D's and acknowledge their supremacy.

I certainly wouldn't get up from my barstool to make it to the polls to vote for him.

If President Trump doesn't want to run, I like Donald Jr., Kushner, Carlson, Eric, or Melania as all good choices.

But if Trump wants to run, I think it would be pointless to think of any Republican who could successfully primary The Donald and then actually vanquish Sleepy Joe in the general election.

I didstrust any writer who would refer to Democrats as "the liberal party".

If there is one thing these lock-step authoritarians are NOT, it is liberal.

DeSantis is good. Jordan and Hawley would be good. They all have good leadership qualities. There are others who could emerge depending on the political climate. The Dems, on the other hand, have no possibilities since they locked up Michael Avanotti.
Hawley? He should be crucified on The Mall for his part in the Insurrection of January 6, 2021.

A recent opinion piece by the editor of The Arizona Republic editorial pages has aroused my interest in looking for the GOP candidate I'd best prefer nominated by the GOP in 2024. The closer we get to the election the less trust I have in what candidates say and so I figure it's a good time to start searching the field while politicians are more representative of their true selves.

In the editorial piece the commentator favors Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. He did a good job of arousing my curiosity, the key part being:

The liberal party understands that the real person who threatens their fortunes wasn’t playing the fairways at Mar-a-Lago last week, he was persuading Floridians to get their COVID-19 shots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is the future of the Republican Party. He has all the fight Donald Trump brings to the arena and all the Reagan charm Trump never had.
Democrats expect the Republicans to come to their senses and do to Trump what they should have done six months ago -- trade him in.

That's why they've spent the last six months pummeling DeSantis, trying to soften him up for his re-election as governor and his eventual rise as Republican nominee. None of it has worked, because DeSantis doesn’t govern like Trump – with a blow torch. He knows how to talk to a greater range of people and how to appeal to their more decent instincts.

Larry Hogan. The people need to see what a real Republican looks like, not some narcissistic demagogue, more interested in satisfying his own ego than doing right by the country.

If President Trump doesn't want to run, I like Donald Jr., Kushner, Carlson, Eric, or Melania as all good choices.

But if Trump wants to run, I think it would be pointless to think of any Republican who could successfully primary The Donald and then actually vanquish Sleepy Joe in the general election.
Melania? She is not a natural born citizen. She is not eligible.

Ivanka.

The best parts of the Trump agenda without the Orange Train-Wreck.
What makes Ivanka qualified for the Presidency? If it’s just the fact that you think she’d follow the “Trump Agenda”, couldn’t any number of potential Republican Candidates do that? After all it’s just a script, right?

Trump will be President and DeSantis will be his VP. Then DeSantis will be President and Jordan will be his VP. Then Jordan will be President............... Get the picture? Marxism-communism is dead in the USA. So is lawlessness
There's not a single GOP hopeful anywhere close to Trump. Former POTUS, billionaire who can afford to fight back and defend himself, DOES NOT FEAR Dems and their lying scum in the liberal news media. Nobody like that comes to mind. I think people need to remember how many Dem PC walls Trump bulldozed to rubble he crushed decades of carefully crafted Dem propaganda and narrative.

Seriously, it sounds more like the lib trolls are just trying to divide Trump and DeSantis ..............sounds like you fear Trump more than even Desantis.

What Democrat? It won't be Biden because he will be in a Home for the Terminally Bewildered. Kamala "Heels up" Harris will be about as popular as root canals with no anesthesia. Who else do they have?

Yep, that's another question I have. There were at least 4 Republicans running for nomination in 2016 that I would have voted for. The Democrats offered me nothing. I was counting on making my presidential voting history so symetrical: Democrat: 3, Republican: 3, Other: 6. Instead, just another one for "Other", I found it disheartening.

Democrats seem to me as a struggling major league club with no prospects in their farm system. I see nomination of Trump by GOP as the Democrats' only chance in 2024.
The editorial I linked above (and below) puts well my very thoughts about the GOP prospects in 2024 if they don't move forward.

Forum List

Back