Who is Bill Ayers?

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
April 18, 2008
BY CHRIS FUSCO AND ABDON M. PALLASCH Staff Reporters

Bill Ayers went underground again Thursday.

But this time, it was to avoid a political maelstrom, not the FBI.

Ayers, 63, spent 10 years as a fugitive in the 1970s when he was part of the "Weather Underground," an anti-Vietnam War group that protested U.S. policies by bombing the Pentagon, U.S. Capitol and a string of other government buildings. Nobody was hurt in the attacks by the defunct organization, which the FBI labeled a "domestic terrorist group."

Today, Ayers and his wife -- fellow former Weather Underground fugitive Bernardine Dohrn -- live in Hyde Park, where they moved after surrendering in 1980. Federal charges against the two were dropped because of improper surveillance, so they avoided prison.

Ayers and Dohrn have raised two sons of their own and adopted a third boy whose parents were Weather Underground members who went to prison. They've built stellar reputations as professors: Dohrn at Northwestern's law school, Ayers as an education professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Along the way, they met a rising political star named Barack Obama, who lived in their neighborhood.

The Ayers-Obama relationship became a hot topic in Wednesday's Democratic presidential debate. It is "an issue certainly Republicans will be raising" should Obama be the Democratic nominee for president, Obama rival Hillary Clinton said.

In the mid-1990s, Ayers and Dohrn hosted a meet-and-greet at their house to introduce Obama to their neighbors during his first run for the Illinois Senate. In 2001, Ayers contributed $200 to Obama's campaign. Ayers also served alongside Obama between December 1999 and December 2002 on the board of the not-for-profit Woods Fund of Chicago. That board met four times a year, and members would see each other at occasional dinners the group hosted.

Reached by the Sun-Times on her cell phone, Dohrn declined to comment. Ayers, who was traveling, did not return messages.

But friends like Chicago political strategist Marilyn Katz said Ayers should not be a campaign issue.

Katz met Ayers when he was 17 and they were members of Students for a Democratic Society, a peaceful group from which the Weather Underground splintered. She noted Ayers' work with Mayor Daley to overhaul the Chicago Public Schools and likened him to Black Panther-turned-U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush.

"What Bill Ayers and Bobby Rush ... did 40 years ago has nothing to do with" the presidential campaign, Katz said. Ayers "has a national reputation. He lectures at Harvard and Vassar. He writes the textbooks that are the standard for innovative approaches to reaching inner-city youth."

more ... http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/902213,CST-NWS-ayers18.article

Sure, why worry who he is? Just "another" one of Obama's "normal" acquaintances. This one just bombs the Pentagon, Capitol, etc.

But let's forget all THAT ....:cuckoo:

By Mark Fitzgerald

Published: April 24, 2008 12:05 AM ET

CHICAGO His political opponents think Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's acquaintance with former Weatherman William Ayers is a weak spot worthy of attack, as certain Republican presidential nominee John McCain did again Sunday on a TV talk show.

But here in Chicago, home to both men, the charge that Obama has been friendly with the former political radical has gone nowhere.

Ayers' extremist past has "has never bothered anyone in Chicago," Chicago Sun-Times political columnist Lynn Sweet wrote after Obama was questioned about his relationship with Ayers in last week's debate with Hillary Clinton.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003793937

Guess he's okay since he hasn't blown anyone up in Chicago. Yet.:rolleyes:

You know......Obama keeps having all these people with questionable backgrounds hanging around him....Every week it seems like a new person...

Now tell me why should I trust this guy. What's that saying..."birds of a feather flock together."

You know......Obama keeps having all these people with questionable backgrounds hanging around him....Every week it seems like a new person...

Now tell me why should I trust this guy. What's that saying..."birds of a feather flock together."

Well McCain was .......

Just thought I'd be the first to deflect my own thread for once.:eusa_eh:

why do we care? seriously. is he running around telling people to blow up stuff now?

Seems he's pretty much beyond reproach now.

Like the guy that kept his daughter and children/grandchildren in the basement?

Sorry, but I don't like who Obama associates with and I REALLY don't like that three of them don't represent anything good for this country.

Like the guy that kept his daughter and children/grandchildren in the basement?

Sorry, but I don't like who Obama associates with and I REALLY don't like that three of them don't represent anything good for this country.

a little bit of spin there, no?

better than the good rev hagee, imo... or at least no worse

why do we care? seriously. is he running around telling people to blow up stuff now?

No, but he has specifically stated that he wished he had done more. He has also stated he's not sorry for what he did. Just the kind of person I want my next president hanging around. Maybe Obama will grow a pair of balls and bomb the shit out of some people that really need it. Chances are, he'll just talk a lot and raise taxes.

I'd not say exemplary:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/August-2001/No-Regrets/

featuresayers1sd1.jpg

How old was Barack when Ayers was quoted for this article? Unfortunate date for running it, caused a bit of a stir in Chicago for a few days:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...2A2575AC0A9679C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

No Regrets for a Love Of Explosives; In a Memoir of Sorts, a War Protester Talks of Life With the Weathermen

By DINITIA SMITH
Published: September 11, 2001

''I don't regret setting bombs,'' Bill Ayers said. ''I feel we didn't do enough.'' Mr. Ayers, who spent the 1970's as a fugitive in the Weather Underground, was sitting in the kitchen of his big turn-of-the-19th-century stone house in the Hyde Park district of Chicago. The long curly locks in his Wanted poster are shorn, though he wears earrings. He still has tattooed on his neck the rainbow-and-lightning Weathermen logo that appeared on letters taking responsibility for bombings. And he still has the ebullient, ingratiating manner, the apparently intense interest in other people, that made him a charismatic figure in the radical student movement.

Now he has written a book, ''Fugitive Days'' (Beacon Press, September). Mr. Ayers, who is 56, calls it a memoir, somewhat coyly perhaps, since he also says some of it is fiction. He writes that he participated in the bombings of New York City Police Headquarters in 1970, of the Capitol building in 1971, the Pentagon in 1972. But Mr. Ayers also seems to want to have it both ways, taking responsibility for daring acts in his youth, then deflecting it.

''Is this, then, the truth?,'' he writes. ''Not exactly. Although it feels entirely honest to me.''

Again, why do we care? And why aren't we posting articles about the good rev hagee the nutcase? (you know the guy who McCain INTENTIONALLY SOUGHT OUT and who McCain will now owe!) See, to me, THAT is relevant, especially when the candidate does THIS as payback...

From the man who called the rabid religious right "agents of intolerance":

McCain's justice
Conservative activism gone wild
By Geoffrey R. Stone
May 7, 2008

By Geoffrey R. Stone

Sen. John McCain's speech on Tuesday on the role of judges in our constitutional system might very well qualify as one of the most ignorant statements ever made by a presidential candidate on this important subject.

McCain complained that sitting judges and justices systematically "abuse" the federal judicial power by issuing "rulings and opinions on policy questions that should be decided democratically." McCain, seeking the Republican nomination for president, is apparently blissfully unaware that the vast majority of current federal judges were appointed by Republican presidents and that seven of the nine sitting U.S. Supreme Court justices and 12 of the last 14 Supreme Court justices were appointed by Republicans. As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-oped0507mccainmay07,0,3516143.story

I think someone who wants to be president should know what Marbury v Madison says about juditial review and should admit it's his OWN radical judges who are striking down legislation:

from the same article:

McCain also seems stunningly unaware that the justices he simplistically lauds as "judicial passivists" are nothing of the sort. William Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas, and more recently John Roberts and Samuel Alito, have consistently voted to invalidate laws at a record clip, most notably holding unconstitutional a broad range of laws regulating commercial advertising, limiting corporate campaign expenditures and authorizing affirmative action programs to enhance educational diversity—to say nothing of Bush vs. Gore. This is not strict construction and it is not judicial restraint. It is conservative activism gone wild—in judicial robes. McCain just doesn't understand.

Even worse, McCain mocks the lifetime tenure of federal judges and assails what he scorns as liberal "judicial activism." Interestingly, McCain confidently invokes the framers of the Constitution as authority for his claim that what we need in this nation are more judges who will exercise "self-restraint." But after chiding Sen. Barack Obama, a Democratic presidential contender who actually knows something about constitutional law, McCain betrays his complete lack of comprehension of the U.S. Constitution and of the goals and concerns of those who crafted it.

Maybe McCain needs to take one of Obama's classes on the constitution.... because he's certainly not familiar with the document.

So where are the articles, Kathianne, about McCain selling out to Hagee and the boys? Where are the articles about HIS associations?

I'll wait.

Again, why do we care? And why aren't we posting articles about the good rev hagee the nutcase? (you know the guy who McCain INTENTIONALLY SOUGHT OUT and who McCain will now owe!) See, to me, THAT is relevant, especially when the candidate does THIS as payback...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-oped0507mccainmay07,0,3516143.story

I think someone who wants to be president should know what Marbury v Madison says about juditial review and should admit it's his OWN radical judges who are striking down legislation:

from the same article:

Maybe McCain needs to take one of Obama's classes on the constitution.... because he's certainly not familiar with the document.

So where are the articles, Kathianne, about McCain selling out to Hagee and the boys? Where are the articles about HIS associations?

I'll wait.

I love how the boards idiot when it comes to Constitution posts crap like this. Remind us again about your stellar understanding of the Constitution. Remind us again that a man that spent 20 years under the same pastor that he called his Mentor, spiritual leader and CLOSE personal friend is not going to have feelings , sentiments and beliefs similar to that man.

Keep digging that hole, you may reach China yet.

I love how the boards idiot when it comes to Constitution posts crap like this. Remind us again about your stellar understanding of the Constitution. Remind us again that a man that spent 20 years under the same pastor that he called his Mentor, spiritual leader and CLOSE personal friend is not going to have feelings , sentiments and beliefs similar to that man.

Keep digging that hole, you may reach China yet.
Your authoritarian disposition limits your ability to understand how intelligent people think. I've tried to explain it elsewhere, but you just cannot understand. Smarter people can understand your mental processes, but that is not a two-way street,

Don't feel bad. Abstract reasoning and analytical ability may be beyond you, but it's not your fault. But you need to understand and accept your limitations, and realize that smart people like Obama do not have them. You may have a childlike inability to tolerate disparate viewpoints, but rest assured you don't want a president who is similarly impaired. The last 7 years have proved why that is true.

Your authoritarian disposition limits your ability to understand how intelligent people think. I've tried to explain it elsewhere, but you just cannot understand. Smarter people can understand your mental processes, but that is not a two-way street,

Don't feel bad. Abstract reasoning and analytical ability may be beyond you, but it's not your fault. But you need to understand and accept your limitations, and realize that smart people like Obama do not have them. You may have a childlike inability to tolerate disparate viewpoints, but rest assured you don't want a president who is similarly impaired. The last 7 years have proved why that is true.

Sure thing MORON. This from a guy that does not grasp satire.

from the same article:

I'll wait.
Jillian, I don't think I've said that you should or shouldn't post whatever you like. So why don't you post all about Hagee and the boys and McCain's tight relationship with them? Dinner? Strategy sessions? I'd really be interested, seriously. Show me more than political expediency and you may get me to sit out the election.

If Obama had just said that he joined the church soley for street cred when first coming to Chicago; if he hadn't made a familial relationship with Wright, basically claiming he was inspired to write one of his books by him, "The Audacity of Hope", well then all the brouhaha would be over nothing.

His reaction to Wright speaking whacknotes to the Nation Press Club was perfect, if it had been done earlier. It still will quell most of what would have come if he hadn't given it.

As for Ayers, so far most really don't know what that's all about. Being from Chicago area, I happen to remember the 'kid' from Glen Ellyn. I think it interesting that Obama surrogates keep up the line that Ayers is a fellow professor at U of C., not so. It's U of I, which is not in the Hyde Park neighborhood. Now Ayers and Obama may now live in the same neighborhood, but not teaching at the same university. The ties with Ayers, like those with Wright, appear to be much deeper than generally reported.

I do think these relationships matter, but that's only my opinion.

a little bit of spin there, no?

better than the good rev hagee, imo... or at least no worse

Spin? Pffft .... :eusa_hand:

Of course it's spin. Obviously so. I meant it no other way. Odd how quick you are to pick it up from the right but have no problem with dishing up the verysame in your next sentence.

And as I keep pointing out to no avail, Hagee has nothing to do with this topic. See? It says "Ayers" in the thread title. A questionable OBAMA associate.

from the same article:

I'll wait.

McCain and Hagee or whatever other bullshit you wish to whip up has NOTHING to do with this thread. Your deflection is not a response to anything. It's dodging the subject.

Your ability to get pwned by Kathianne isn't your fault either, but it happened.:rofl:

Jillian, I don't think I've said that you should or shouldn't post whatever you like. So why don't you post all about Hagee and the boys and McCain's tight relationship with them? Dinner? Strategy sessions? I'd really be interested, seriously. Show me more than political expediency and you may get me to sit out the election.

If Obama had just said that he joined the church soley for street cred when first coming to Chicago; if he hadn't made a familial relationship with Wright, basically claiming he was inspired to write one of his books by him, "The Audacity of Hope", well then all the brouhaha would be over nothing.

His reaction to Wright speaking whacknotes to the Nation Press Club was perfect, if it had been done earlier. It still will quell most of what would have come if he hadn't given it.

As for Ayers, so far really know what that's all about. Being from Chicago area, I happen to remember the 'kid' from Glen Ellyn. I think it interesting that Obama surrogates keep up the line that Ayers is a fellow professor at U of C., not so. It's U of I, which is not in the Hyde Park neighborhood. Now Ayers and Obama may now live in the same neighborhood, but not teaching at the same university. The ties with Ayers, like those with Wright, appear to be much deeper than generally reported.

I do think these relationships matter, but that's only my opinion.

Impossible. The spin version of McCain accepting Hagee's endorsement is the standard response to ANY question on Obama. They're so afraid to look at him and find something questionable or wrong they can't tolerate the topic at all and immediately go on the sideways attack.

Spin? Pffft .... :eusa_hand:

Of course it's spin. Obviously so. I meant it no other way. Odd how quick you are to pick it up from the right but have no problem with dishing up the verysame in your next sentence.

And as I keep pointing out to no avail, Hagee has nothing to do with this topic. See? It says "Ayers" in the thread title. A questionable OBAMA associate.

Your saying Hagee has nothing to do with this topic is to no avail because it's disingenuous.

It doesn't work that way. Tough if you only want to talk about Obama's "associates". McCain's competing against him for the presidency. If the "associates" of the one are relevant, certainly the associates of the other are relevant..... particularly when McCain is going to give the Courts to the loony toons.

I figure that's a fair inquiry. You don't like it or think McCain suffers by the comparison, I'm afraid that's too bad. ;)

Impossible. The spin version of McCain accepting Hagee's endorsement is the standard response to ANY question on Obama. They're so afraid to look at him and find something questionable or wrong they can't tolerate the topic at all and immediately go on the sideways attack.

Totally wrong... McCain is going to pay Hagee back by giving him a theocratic Court.

If you can't tolerate that attack, the repubs should toss the rabid religious right under the bus.

Forum List

Back