Who is Bill Ayers?

Ayers is Obama's friend.

When did this myth come about? Obama says that he sees the guy occasionally in his neighbourhood, they served on some university panels together, and once served on the board of a non-profit charity together. How does this make them friends?

Obama says early in his political career, he was once taken to Ayers house by the woman whose Illinois Senate seat he took, but it was at her behest. Once again, where is the friendship?

And, assuming that's correct, and I haven't seen it, so I don't know, but I'll take your word for it, will those comments in any way influence Obama's policies the way Hagee will influence (has influenced) McCain's?

. With $0 spent in pork barrel projects, I think its safe to say that McCain doesn't bow down to special interest, unlike your porky candidates. McCain is pro-stem cell research, but pro-life. Hagee will not have any influence his policies either way.

Lets get this straight I am pro-choice, but I am against Roe v. Wade. Roe v. Wade is the court creating legislation. The constitution is very specific that its the legislatives branches job to create legislation (aka Congress). If you saw the 60 minutes interview on Scalia, he states that he wants a constitution amendment passed addressing the issue. He stated if the amendment called for allowing abortions, he would uphold it in every case, because that is what the constitution states.

See Gilbert and other activist judges, believes its their job to create legislations and laws; however, that is far from the truth. I have read the constitution many times. I think its the most brilliant well thoughout document every created (minus the fugitive slave clause, the 3/5 person clause, the birthright clause and the 18 yr sufferage)!

Conservatives can't understand this point; they are intellectually childlike. They can't understand the simple concept of listening to someone with whom they disagree, especially authority figures, so they assume Obama has the same immature quality, and therefore must agree with Rev. Wright.

Intellectual adults know otherwise. We can listen to opposing viewpoints without blowing a gasket. Obama has intellectual maturity, so he could listen to an authority figure like his pastor without agreeing in lockstep with everything he says. He can make up his own mind.

And liberals don't understand this point: a person who supports and defends somebody who stated he wished he'd blown up more American people/buildings/etc. should NOT be president of the US.

And Obama does support and defend Ayers. Who has stated he is proud of his handiwork, and who has thrown parties for Obama in support of his political bids for office. And consider this...while Obama had no problem brushing Wright off like an annoying gnat, he REFUSES to break his association or in any way criticize Ayers.

If Ayers supports Obama, you should be asking why he likes him, since Ayers' whole personality is about hatred for the US and ways to bring her down.

man it is incredible.

apparently this campaign is more about what someone associated with a candidate may have said than what the candidate themselves said. heaven forbid anyone actually listen to the Man (cue up bitter comment).

and 'associated' is a loose word here.

the ayers 'relationship' is a crook.

they were on a board together. big fricking whoop. are repubs who serve on committees with dims tainted?

it's is a fricking asinine connection...it's practically as asinine as it would be to say McCain should be questioned because of his association with with the terrorists at the Hanoi Hilton.

find an Obama quote saying he respects Ayers. and there'd actually be something here.

I think Obama is a moral individual. I have more a beef with Obama in that he is going to bring the big brother give me everything for free attitude of the Black community to the White House. Obama will increase spending 20 fold when its already insane and increase taxes by 20%. His plans will increase the exodus of American Corporations over seas. His fiscal liberalism will be far worst than Bush's fiscal liberlism. Yep that is right spending and taxes increase during the Giant Bush's "Presidency." That is the hallmark of a fiscal liberalism, aka the Democrats. Bush was conservative on social issues, which is the easy part. But he was very Democratic on the fiscal side. Useless damn President!

Try comparing apples to apples here a little bit. The big problem witht he left is they don't really care if they get a comparison right.

Hagee endorsed McCain. Hagee is not McCain pastor, political advisor, business associate or even friend.

Wright, and the New evenly controversail Pastor Moss are Obama's Pastors and spiritual advisors. Ayers is Obama's friend.

If you want to go with all the people that endorse Obama look no further than the racist New Black Panther Party, Hamas and Farahkan! I would rather have Hagee's endorsement than any one of them!

Where does it address McCain's understanding of Marbury v Madison? Any the suntimes weak leftist attack is a poor understanding of conservative judges! As a lawyer you should know that a Judge takes a job to uphold the constitution of the United States. Produce a better article where Scalia or any of the other conservative judges want to over-turn M v. M. That is such a ridiculous attack.

Maybe you need to do more research on conservative judges!

Selling out. LOL, he accepted an endorsement. McCain never called an anti-american terrorist a friend or sat in a church for 20+ years where the pastor states that the US government put AIDS in the American community and repeatedly says "God Damn America!"

No. What you're not getting (see, I'll individualize it instead of defining you by stereotype) is that the way I see it, I have a choice. None of these guys are perfect. They BOTH have associates that I find offensive. I find them EQUALLY offensive... I think Rev Hagee is a sick SOB who shoiuldn't be embraced by ANY politician.

Where did I say that ANY judge wants to overthrow Marbury v Madison? That WAS, however, pretty much what McCain said, which is why he could walk on hot coals and I wouldn't vote for him.

However, anyone who knows Constitutional Law knows that the constitution is not intended to be read literally like a fundie reads a bible or koran. From day 1 Marbury v Madison, BY IT'S INTERPRETATION of the Constitution said there was a right of judicial review in order to effectuate the RIGHTS guaranteed by the Constitution. Yet NOWHERE DOES THE CONSTItUTION PROVIDE FOR JUdICIAL REVIEW. Yet, it exists. And it exists because people did not pretend that there is something called "strict constructionism" in terms of the words. When originally used, (by a LIBERAL JUDGE) it was used to say rights couldn't be abridged and you don't allow limitation of them.

I think YOU need to look into the "conservative judges" because I know all about them. And I will never vote for anyone who talks about how judges shouldn't engage in judicial review of legislation. That is the whole point of the bench, IMO... limiting the power of the other two branches. And if you think for a second that I think Antonin Scalia is upholding the Constitution, I'd reconsider that if I were you. You don't uphold the Constitution when you violate precedent by inserting the USSC's opinion in an election law matter over the highest court of a state and then stating within the decision that it has NO PRECEDENTIAL VALUE.

So, with every candidate it's about what the dealbreakers are for you. Obama's associates, while I don't appreciate some of them, aren't because ultimately they won't affect public policy. McCain's BECAUSE HE INTENDS TO ADVANCE THEIR AGENDA... are relevant to me... and ARE dealbreakers, especially when we're one, maybe two judges away from overturning RvW and the next president is going to get to appoint at least one justice, probably two.

Really that simple.... and talking about one's "associates" without talking about the others is silly... because each of us gets to decide on the dealbreakers.

McCain's are dealbreakers... for me. Obama's might be... for you.

Case in point. If you understood what Dean meant when he said right-wing traits included "mean-spirited, narrow-minded, intolerant, bullying, zealous, dogmatic", you wouldn't respond in a manner that confirms his diagnosis.

You forgot the YEEEHAAAWWW!

Still a classic click on Youtube!

Don't feel bad. Abstract reasoning and analytical ability may be beyond you, but it's not your fault. But you need to understand and accept your limitations, and realize that smart people like Obama do not have them. You may have a childlike inability to tolerate disparate viewpoints, but rest assured you don't want a president who is similarly impaired. The last 7 years have proved why that is true.

What the last 7 years have taught us is fiscal liberalism, increasing taxes and spending - something Bush did, DO NOT WORK. And that being a horrible president has nothing to do with the party!

Why did McCain vote against Bush saving grace tax cut plan? Because it also didn't call for decreasing spending!

No. What you're not getting (see, I'll individualize it instead of defining you by stereotype) is that the way I see it, I have a choice. None of these guys are perfect. They BOTH have associates that I find offensive. I find them EQUALLY offensive... I think Rev Hagee is a sick SOB who shoiuldn't be embraced by ANY politician.

Where did I say that ANY judge wants to overthrow Marbury v Madison? That WAS, however, pretty much what McCain said, which is why he could walk on hot coals and I wouldn't vote for him.

However, anyone who knows Constitutional Law knows that the constitution is not intended to be read literally like a fundie reads a bible or koran. From day 1 Marbury v Madison, BY IT'S INTERPRETATION of the Constitution said there was a right of judicial review in order to effectuate the RIGHTS guaranteed by the Constitution. Yet NOWHERE DOES THE CONSTItUTION PROVIDE FOR JUdICIAL REVIEW. Yet, it exists. And it exists because people did not pretend that there is something called "strict constructionism" in terms of the words. When originally used, (by a LIBERAL JUDGE) it was used to say rights couldn't be abridged and you don't allow limitation of them.

I think YOU need to look into the "conservative judges" because I know all about them. And I will never vote for anyone who talks about how judges shouldn't engage in judicial review of legislation. That is the whole point of the bench, IMO... limiting the power of the other two branches. And if you think for a second that I think Antonin Scalia is upholding the Constitution, I'd reconsider that if I were you. You don't uphold the Constitution when you violate precedent by inserting the USSC's opinion in an election law matter over the highest court of a state and then stating within the decision that it has NO PRECEDENTIAL VALUE.

So, with every candidate it's about what the dealbreakers are for you. Obama's associates, while I don't appreciate some of them, aren't because ultimately they won't affect public policy. McCain's BECAUSE HE INTENDS TO ADVANCE THEIR AGENDA... are relevant to me... and ARE dealbreakers, especially when we're one, maybe two judges away from overturning RvW and the next president is going to get to appoint at least one justice, probably two.

Really that simple.... and talking about one's "associates" without talking about the others is silly... because each of us gets to decide on the dealbreakers.

McCain's are dealbreakers... for me. Obama's might be... for you.

Yeah, I can see how somebody who hangs out with people who state they hate America and wish they'd blown up more of them would be considered by you to be superior to somebody with different religious views.

Yeah, I can see how somebody who hangs out with people who state they hate America and wish they'd blown up more of them would be considered by you to be superior to somebody with different religious views.

and i can see how you'd miss the point.

lol.

advocating the advancement of a particular issue vs. a weak association that has nothing to do with actual policy decisions.

and i can see how you'd miss the point.

lol.

advocating the advancement of a particular issue vs. a weak association that has nothing to do with actual policy decisions.

Weak association is enough...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/02/obamas_weatherman_connection.html
"The former Weatherman, William Ayers, now holds the position of distinguished professor of education at the University of Illinois-Chicago. Although never convicted of any crime, he told the New York Times in September 2001, "I don't regret setting bombs...I feel we didn't do enough."

Weak association is enough...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/02/obamas_weatherman_connection.html
"The former Weatherman, William Ayers, now holds the position of distinguished professor of education at the University of Illinois-Chicago. Although never convicted of any crime, he told the New York Times in September 2001, "I don't regret setting bombs...I feel we didn't do enough."

Did you even read the link you posted? It indicates there is almost no connection between Ayers and Obama.

If a weak connection is enough, how do you feel about McCain's must stronger connection to convicted felon Keating?

Did you even read the link you posted?

my thoughts exactly...

plus it included the obama statement i was looking for

"Senator Obama strongly condemns the violent actions of the Weathermen group, as he does all acts of violence. But he was an eight-year-old child when Ayers and the Weathermen were active, and any attempt to connect Obama with events of almost forty years ago is ridiculous."

thanks allie.

Totally wrong... McCain is going to pay Hagee back by giving him a theocratic Court.

If you can't tolerate that attack, the repubs should toss the rabid religious right under the bus.

See the courts should never making legislature. If only Congress would finally create an amendment covering abortion (hopefully the amendment gives sole discretions to the courts) and covering gay marriage (makes it so sister jurisdiction can't consider it against public policy and hence void ab initio) it really won't matter as much whether the justice selected was a liberal or conservative.

The courts have no business making legislation as Congress has no business running the courts!

Forum List

Back