Who First Introduced the Civil Rights Act?

Which US President First Introduced the Civil Rights Act?

• LBJ

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • JKF

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Ike

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Oh? And who prevented it from moving forward in the Senate? Why?

Senator James Strom Thurmond? Least if Longhorn's link is accurate.

Thrumond was Senate Majority Leader? Are you sure?

images

Here's another hint, Google: LBJ Uppity

images

Hmm, let's see.

Civil Rights Act of 1957 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Civil Rights Act of 1957, primarily a voting rights bill, was the first civil rights legislation enacted by Congress in the United States since Reconstruction. After it was proposed to Congress by then-President Dwight Eisenhower, Senator James Strom Thurmond sustained the longest one-person filibuster in history in an attempt to keep it from becoming law. His one-man filibuster consisted of 24 hours and 18 minutes of readings from the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, Washington’s Farewell Address, and various phone books. His speech set the record for a Senate filibuster.[1] The bill passed the House with a vote of 270 to 97 and the Senate 60 to 15. President Eisenhower signed it on 9 September 1957.

I find it hilarious you would actually quote yourself though.

If you scroll further down, you can see what LBJ did. Complain about LBJ all you like, doesn't stop Eisenhower from being the 2nd most Liberal President in the 20th century after Nixon.

How dumb is a lonestar poster?

The Civil Rights Act of 1875 (18 Stat. 335) was a United States federal law proposed by Republican Senator Charles Sumner and Republican Congressman Benjamin F. Butler in 1870.

2 liberal Massachusetts politicians.

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

2 Republicans.

:clap2:

yep, 2 liberal Republicans who people like you call RINOs and try to demonize and throw under a bus.
:lol:

gawd, you're a dumb fuck

Eisenhower, one of the most Liberal Presidents of the 20th Century. :cool:

Liberals always propose advancing civil rights. Conservatives? They almost always oppose advancing civil rights.

fact.

How about the civil right of a high school English teacher to express his faith in

1) Che Guevara
2) Jesus Christ
3) Barak Obama
4) Mohammed

Guess who is least likely to have freedom of speech?

"In keeping with Congressional procedure, Johnson sent the bill to a judiciary committee which would examine it for flaws, controversial and unconstitutional points etc. This committee was led by Senator James Eastland - senator for Mississippi. Committee heads have great powers in changing bills and altering them almost beyond recognition. Eastland did just this especially after the very public outburst by Senator Richard Russell from Georgia who claimed that it was an example of the Federal government wanting to impose its laws on states, thus weakening highly protected states rights of self-government as stated in the Constitution. He was most critical of the new division which would be created within the Justice Department.

Johnson had other reasons for taking his stance. No civil rights act had been introduced into America for 82 years. If this one went through successfully and had support from both parties, it would do his position within the Democrats a great deal of good as he had plans in 1957 to be the party’s future presidential candidate. If he could get the credit for maintaining party unity and get the support of the South’s Democrats for ‘killing the bill’, then his position would be greatly advanced. If he was seen to be pushing through the first civil rights act in 82 years he hoped to get the support of the more liberal west and east coast Democrat senators.

The Civil Rights Act of 1957 maintained the mood of the bill - it aimed to increase the number of registered black voters and stated its support for such a move. However, any person found guilty of obstructing someone’s right to register barely faced the prospect of punishment as a trial by jury in the South meant the accused had to face an all-white jury as only whites could be jury members."

The 1957 Civil Rights Act

images

Hmm, let's see.

The Civil Rights Act of 1957, primarily a voting rights bill, was the first civil rights legislation enacted by Congress in the United States since Reconstruction. After it was proposed to Congress by then-President Dwight Eisenhower, Senator James Strom Thurmond sustained the longest one-person filibuster in history in an attempt to keep it from becoming law. His one-man filibuster consisted of 24 hours and 18 minutes of readings from the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, Washington’s Farewell Address, and various phone books. His speech set the record for a Senate filibuster.[1] The bill passed the House with a vote of 270 to 97 and the Senate 60 to 15. President Eisenhower signed it on 9 September 1957.

I find it hilarious you would actually quote yourself though.

If you scroll further down, you can see what LBJ did. Complain about LBJ all you like, doesn't stop Eisenhower from being the 2nd most Liberal President in the 20th century after Nixon.

"Johnson sought recognition from the civil rights advocates for passing the bill while also receiving recognition from the mostly southern anti-civil rights Democrats for "killing the bill."

FDR found the issue too tough as he had too many fights already. Truman and Eisenhower did good work. Eisenhower was an interesting republican as he bucked everything the right wing at that time wanted - thankfully. But it was LBJ who accomplished the big change. The statistics were a big improvement, but the figures since then have not been very good. My next thread covers this issue. See "Race Poverty, where are we now."

The same party that freed the slaves by starting a civil war, the republicans and IKE.

Yup....i know right amazing that the repubs are always the ones standing up but end up being portrayed as the "Evil haters"

King John of England in 1215. I know CFrank is limited (well, an ignorant fool to tell the truth), yet I'm shocked he's so uninformed he has never heard of the Magna Carta.
Anyone who introduced the Act later signed by LBJ was well aware of the Magna Carta.

I'm pretty sure America wasn't discovered before 1215, but nice try.

Did the Magna Carta give equal rights to slaves and indentured servants? I think not.

Did the OP say "the American Civil Rights Act"?

FDR found the issue too tough as he had too many fights already. Truman and Eisenhower did good work. Eisenhower was an interesting republican as he bucked everything the right wing at that time wanted - thankfully. But it was LBJ who accomplished the big change. The statistics were a big improvement, but the figures since then have not been very good. My next thread covers this issue. See "Race Poverty, where are we now."

The same FDR that appointed Klansman Hugo Black to SCOTUS? You mean that FDR? Dems love their Klansmen! <3 <3 <3 KKK!!

King John of England in 1215. I know CFrank is limited (well, an ignorant fool to tell the truth), yet I'm shocked he's so uninformed he has never heard of the Magna Carta.
Anyone who introduced the Act later signed by LBJ was well aware of the Magna Carta.

Did the Magna Carta give equal rights to slaves and indentured servants? I think not.

The Poll choices were: Ike, LBJ and JFK.

But FDR did find the time to conduct the Tuskegee Experiments.

If you read about FDR, he thought blacks were prone to venereal diseases anyway.

No but a little common sense goes along way. Something you wouldn't know anything about. Now if you haven't got an intelligent argument to make I suggest you :anj_stfu: !

Forum List

Back