Who First Introduced the Civil Rights Act?

Which US President First Introduced the Civil Rights Act?

• LBJ

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • JKF

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Ike

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
I doubt many liberals will participate in this poll. Apparently they choose to remain ignorant about history.

I googled the poll question and got pages and pages of JFK until I found this:

Civil Rights act of 1957

In 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower sought a centrist agenda for civil rights progress. Urged by Attorney General Herbert Brownell, in his 1956 State of the Union message Eisenhower adopted the 1947 recommendations of President Truman's Civil Rights Committee. Brownell introduced legislation on these lines on 11 March 1956, seeking an independent Civil Rights Commission, a Department of Justice civil rights division, and broader authority to enforce civil rights and voters' rights, especially the ability to enforce civil rights injunctions through contempt proceedings.

Congressional politics over the bill pitted southern senators against the administration. Owing to the efforts of House Speaker Sam Rayburn and Senator Lyndon B. Johnson, the bill passed, albeit with compromises including a jury trial requirement for contempt proceedings. The bill passed the House with a vote of 270 to 97 and the Senate 60 to 15. President Eisenhower signed it on 9 September 1957.

There was civil rights legislation in the 19th Century.

The Civil rights law known as a 1983 action, codified at 42 USC 1983, was the Civil Rights Act of 1871.

Also there was one in 1866 if I am correct?

King John of England in 1215. I know CFrank is limited (well, an ignorant fool to tell the truth), yet I'm shocked he's so uninformed he has never heard of the Magna Carta.
Anyone who introduced the Act later signed by LBJ was well aware of the Magna Carta.

Last edited:
King John of England in 1215. I know CFrank is limited (well, an ignorant fool to tell the truth), yet I'm shocked he's so uninformed he has never heard of the Magna Carta.
Anyone who introduced the Act later signed by LBJ was well aware of the Magna Carta.

I'm pretty sure America wasn't discovered before 1215, but nice try.

Did the Magna Carta give equal rights to slaves and indentured servants? I think not.

Did the Magna Carta give equal rights to slaves and indentured servants? I think not.

There is some evidence the land mass known as America was discovered well before Columbus, but I digress.
The Civil Rights movement as well as many other progressive movements grew from the ideas presented in both the Magna Carta and the Rights of Man; rather than answer your question, I refer you to google to link to many discussions, essays and descriptions of these documents.
The 14th Amendment now under attack by the Republicans was a civil rights act, ratified on December 20, 1868; as were the first ten Amendments to our Constitution. The 13th Amendment outlawed slavery and involuntary servitude, the 15th Amendment and the 19th expanded the right to vote, which is a civil right in a democratic republic.
So what is CFrank trolling after?

Last edited:

There is some evidence the land mass known as America was discovered well before Columbus, but I digress.
The Civil Rights movement as well as many other progressive movements grew from the ideas presented in both the Magna Carta and the Rights of Man; rather than answer your question, I refer you to google to link to many discussions, essays and descriptions of these documents.
The 14th Amendment now under attack by the Republicans was a civil rights act, ratified on December 20, 1868; as were the first ten Amendments to our Constitution. The 13th Amendment outlawed slavery and involuntary servitude, the 15th Amendment and the 19th expanded the right to vote, which is a civil right in a democratic republic.
So what is CFrank trolling after?

The answer to his question. Who first introduced the Civil Rights Act? Of which there have been 8. Perhaps he needs to be more specific.

The Civil Rights Act of 1866 is a federal law in the United States that made everyone born in the U.S[1] full citizens. It was aimed at the Freedmen (freed slaves) and was a major policy during Reconstruction. It was vetoed by President Andrew Johnson( a Democrat )[2], then passed over his veto by Radical Republicans in Congress.[3]

Civil Rights Act of 1871, also known as the Ku Klux Klan Act.

The Civil Rights Act of 1875 (18 Stat. 335) was a United States federal law proposed by Republican Senator Charles Sumner and Republican Congressman Benjamin F. Butler in 1870. The act was passed by Congress in February, 1875 and signed by President Grant on March 1, 1875. It was declared unconstitutional[1] by the US Supreme Court in 1883[2]. Many of the provisions of the Civil Rights Act of 1875 were passed into law in the 1960s with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Fair Housing Act using the federal power to regulate interstate commerce.

The Act guaranteed that everyone, regardless of race, color, or previous condition of servitude, was entitled to the same treatment in "public accommodations" (i.e. inns, public conveyances on land or water, theaters, and other places of public amusement).

If found guilty, the lawbreaker could face a penalty anywhere from $500 to $1,000 and/or 30 days to 1 year in prison. However, the law was rarely enforced (especially after the withdrawal of federal troops from the South after the 1876 Presidential election) and in the 1883 Civil Rights Cases the Supreme Court deemed the act unconstitutional on the basis that Congress had no power to regulate the conduct of individuals. The Fourteenth Amendment prohibits discrimination by the state, not by individuals.

The Civil Rights Act of 1957, primarily a voting rights bill, was the first civil rights legislation enacted by Congress in the United States since Reconstruction. After it was proposed to Congress by then-President Dwight Eisenhower, Senator James Strom Thurmond sustained the longest one-person filibuster in history in an attempt to keep it from becoming law. His one-man filibuster consisted of 24 hours and 18 minutes of readings from the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, Washington’s Farewell Address, and various phone books. His speech set the record for a Senate filibuster.[1] The bill passed the House with a vote of 270 to 97 and the Senate 60 to 15. President Eisenhower signed it on 9 September 1957.

The Civil Rights Act of 1960 was a United States federal law that established federal inspection of local voter registration polls and introduced penalties for anyone who obstructed someone's attempt to register to vote or actually vote.

The Senate's debate over the passage of this bill actually started on February 29, 1960. However, a group of 18 Southern Democrats divided into three teams of six in order to be able to create a continuous filibuster wherein each member would only have to speak for four hours every three days. This system resulted in the longest filibuster in history, lasting over 43 hours from February 29 to March 2. On the morning of March 2nd, only a fifteen-minute break was allowed before the Senate sat for another 82 hours. By the time the 24-hour sessions were called off by majority leader Lyndon Johnson, the Senate had sat for 125 hours and 31 minutes minus a fifteen-minute break.

The act was signed into law by President Dwight Eisenhower on May 6, 1960.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88-352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) was a landmark piece of legislation in the United States that outlawed unequal application of voter registration requirements and racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public ("public accommodations").

Once the Act was implemented, its effects were far-reaching and had tremendous long-term impacts on the whole country. It prohibited discrimination in public facilities, in government, and in employment, invalidating the Jim Crow laws in the southern U.S. It became illegal to compel segregation of the races in schools, housing, or hiring.

Powers given to enforce the act were initially weak, but were supplemented during later years. Congress asserted its authority to legislate under several different parts of the United States Constitution, principally its power to regulate interstate commerce under Article One (section 8), its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws under the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to protect voting rights under the Fifteenth Amendment.

The bill was introduced by President John F. Kennedy in his civil rights speech of June 11, 1963,[1] in which he asked for legislation "giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theaters, retail stores, and similar establishments," as well as "greater protection for the right to vote."

On April 11, 1968 President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (commonly known as the Fair Housing Act, or as CRA '68), which was meant as a follow-up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. While the Civil Rights Act of 1866[1] prohibited discrimination in housing, there were no federal enforcement provisions. The 1968 act expanded on previous acts and prohibited discrimination concerning the sale, rental, and financing of housing based on race, religion, national origin, and as of 1974, gender; as of 1988, the act protects the disabled and families with children. It also provided protection for civil rights workers.

The Civil Rights Act of 1991 is a United States statute that was passed in response to a series of United States Supreme Court decisions which limited the rights of employees who had sued their employers for discrimination. The Act represented the first effort since the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to modify some of the basic procedural and substantive rights provided by federal law in employment discrimination cases. It provided for the right to trial by jury on discrimination claims and introduced the possibility of emotional distress damages, while limiting the amount that a jury could award.

President Bush had vetoed a similar bill the year before. He feared racial quotas would be imposed, but later approved the 1991 version of the bill

Civil Rights Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Throwing facts at Libs is like throwing the Wicked Witch in the deep end of the pool.

New Topics

Forum List

Back