Who Cares What They Do At Home?

A certain proficiency in English is a requirement for citizenship, after all....

No, it's not. It is a requirement for naturalization.

To become a U.S. citizen, you must:

• Have had a Permanent Resident (Green) Card for at least five years, or for at least three years if you’re filing as the spouse of a U.S. citizen
    • If you apply for naturalization less than six months before your Permanent Resident Card expires, or do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card.
    • You can apply for naturalization before you receive your new Green Card, but you’ll need to submit a photocopy of the receipt of your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, when you receive it.
  • Meet certain eligibility requirements including being
    • At least 18 years old at the time of filing
    • Able to read, write, and speak basic English
    • A person of good moral character

How to Apply for U.S. Citizenship | USAGov

Read my post more carefully, genius.

I did. Next?

Next, learn the English language.

All federal and state official business in the United States should be conducted in English, especially voting procedures.

A certain proficiency in English is a requirement for citizenship, after all.

Nearly half in top 5 U.S. cities don’t speak English at home, record 67 million
This is the heart of the Trump movement. Not the economy, not foreign polucy, not taxes, not trade, not law enforcement, etc. It is the crippling fear of the “other;” a fear that people different than you are taking your status away from people who look like you. As a country that’s almost 100% made up of immigrants and their descendants, this fear has existed since the creation of the country, and evil people have used it persecute minorities since that time.
I’m all for easy immigration and am pretty liberal on the topic but the OP does bring up a fair point. Shouldn’t language be part of the process? If not then why?

You know, if you join the US military, you are required to conduct all official business in English. Rule was made when we started to take in citizens from the Philippines.

And, because that is the way I spent all my adult life (in the military), I think that it's a pretty good rule. If you are conducting official US business and you are here legally, you should practice learning to speak English.

And, whatever you do in the company of friends and family is what you do. Has no bearing on me. But, conducting official business, you should do it in English.
It's a chain of command kinda thing for the military, no time for interpreters in the middle of a battle.

A certain proficiency in English is a requirement for citizenship, after all....

No, it's not. It is a requirement for naturalization.

To become a U.S. citizen, you must:

• Have had a Permanent Resident (Green) Card for at least five years, or for at least three years if you’re filing as the spouse of a U.S. citizen
    • If you apply for naturalization less than six months before your Permanent Resident Card expires, or do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card.
    • You can apply for naturalization before you receive your new Green Card, but you’ll need to submit a photocopy of the receipt of your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, when you receive it.
  • Meet certain eligibility requirements including being
    • At least 18 years old at the time of filing
    • Able to read, write, and speak basic English
    • A person of good moral character

How to Apply for U.S. Citizenship | USAGov

Read my post more carefully, genius.

I did. Next?

Next, learn the English language.

It's funny how blind people beat dead horses.

All federal and state official business in the United States should be conducted in English, especially voting procedures.

This is the heart of the Trump movement. Not the economy, not foreign polucy, not taxes, not trade, not law enforcement, etc. It is the crippling fear of the “other;” a fear that people different than you are taking your status away from people who look like you. As a country that’s almost 100% made up of immigrants and their descendants, this fear has existed since the creation of the country, and evil people have used it persecute minorities since that time.
I’m all for easy immigration and am pretty liberal on the topic but the OP does bring up a fair point. Shouldn’t language be part of the process? If not then why?

You know, if you join the US military, you are required to conduct all official business in English. Rule was made when we started to take in citizens from the Philippines.

And, because that is the way I spent all my adult life (in the military), I think that it's a pretty good rule. If you are conducting official US business and you are here legally, you should practice learning to speak English.

And, whatever you do in the company of friends and family is what you do. Has no bearing on me. But, conducting official business, you should do it in English.
It's a chain of command kinda thing for the military, no time for interpreters in the middle of a battle.

I know that. I was in the military for 20 years.

But, don't you think it would help a great deal when they need to call emergency services (police, fire, ambulance), because there is another situation where in many cases time is of the essence. If they have to stop and find a translator, that could be the difference between catching the criminal and an unsolved case, or making it to the hospital in time and living instead of dying because the person calling doesn't know how to give directions in English.

I know that. I was in the military for 20 years.

But, don't you think it would help a great deal when they need to call emergency services (police, fire, ambulance), because there is another situation where in many cases time is of the essence. If they have to stop and find a translator, that could be the difference between catching the criminal and an unsolved case, or making it to the hospital in time and living instead of dying because the person calling doesn't know how to give directions in English.
Yes, I'm sure it would, however that's a personal choice imho

I noticed that the Democrats/Progressives have been using and wearing out the minority crap for 30 years or more. They are the one s who take advantage of them. Just how do you think their money comes from. They use the Plantation Plan, just keep them on welfare, handouts, keep them away from better jobs. What they forgot is that all people start to see the light and now they have started to see their power base washing out to sea. They need a new batch to take the place of those who got smart. So import them and that is what they are doing.
upload_2018-9-23_13-35-47.jpeg

Both Marxists Obama and Hillary raised their arms covenanting to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Then they broke that solemn oath by following Saul Alinsky’s plan to des troy it (numbered below). 1. Healthcare - Control healthcare and you control the people 2. Poverty - Increase the poverty level as high as possible; poor people are easier to control and will not fight back if you are providing everything for them to live. 3. Debt - Increase the debt to an unsustainable level. That way you are able to increase taxes, and this will produce more poverty. 4. Gun Control - Remove the ability of the citizens to defend themselves from the government. That way you are able to create a police state. 5. Welfare - Take control of every aspect of their lives (Food, Housing, and Income). 6. Education - Take control of what people read and listen to - take control of what children learn in school. 7. Religion - Remove the belief in God from the government and schools. 8. Class Warfare - Divide the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more discontent and it will be easier to tax the wealthy with the support of the poor.

I noticed that the Democrats/Progressives have been using and wearing out the minority crap for 30 years or more. They are the one s who take advantage of them. Just how do you think their money comes from. They use the Plantation Plan, just keep them on welfare, handouts, keep them away from better jobs. What they forgot is that all people start to see the light and now they have started to see their power base washing out to sea. They need a new batch to take the place of those who got smart. So import them and that is what they are doing.View attachment 218078
Both Marxists Obama and Hillary raised their arms covenanting to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Then they broke that solemn oath by following Saul Alinsky’s plan to des troy it (numbered below). 1. Healthcare - Control healthcare and you control the people 2. Poverty - Increase the poverty level as high as possible; poor people are easier to control and will not fight back if you are providing everything for them to live. 3. Debt - Increase the debt to an unsustainable level. That way you are able to increase taxes, and this will produce more poverty. 4. Gun Control - Remove the ability of the citizens to defend themselves from the government. That way you are able to create a police state. 5. Welfare - Take control of every aspect of their lives (Food, Housing, and Income). 6. Education - Take control of what people read and listen to - take control of what children learn in school. 7. Religion - Remove the belief in God from the government and schools. 8. Class Warfare - Divide the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more discontent and it will be easier to tax the wealthy with the support of the poor.

Forum List

Back