Who Are The Palestinians? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turmus’ayya Town Profile

History
Turmus'ayya town was originally named „Thormasia‟. The word may be a combination of three shorter words: Tar, Masha, and Ayya. Tar is a distortion of the word „Tawr‟ („mountain‟), Masha is the remains of grapes after being squeezed, and Ayya is from the word „Awi‟, meaning ruins (Al Dabbagh, 1991). The town‟s residents are originally Majaziyoon from the Murra tribe, descended from inhabitants of Al Batani and Al Jib villages (Turmus‟ayya Municipality, 2011).

http://vprofile.arij.org/ramallah/pdfs/vprofile/Turmus'ayya_tp_en.pdf

800px-Turmus_Ayya118_1864.JPG

The
Al Murrah (Arabic: قبيلة آل مرة‎‎) is a noble or a sharif Arab tribe descended from the well-known Banu Yam tribe. The members of the Al Murrah end their names with "Al Murry" also spelled "Al Marri" and "Al Masarri" to correspond to the Arabic pronunciation. They reside in countries such as Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain and Wadi Amad of Yemen. Historically, Al Murrah was a tribe of camel-herding nomads, who controlled and travelled through a vast area of the Arabian Peninsula.

There's a saying in Saudi Arabia, Fi al Sama barqiyah, Fi al ard Marriyah, which means, "In the sky the telegraph; on the ground Al Murrah." The saying, in couplet form, pays a subtle tribute to the tribe of nomads which more than any other has given birth—and considerable substance—to
the colorful image of the desert Bedouins: Al Murrah, one of the largest and most important tribes of the country.[1]

Essentially, the only Muslim families who can claim to have been in Palestine 2000 years ago were converts from Judaism or Christianity. By far most of them come from other areas of the Middle East or Europe.

I have looked at this topic a number of times over the years, and here is my latest list of 100 Palestinian families and their origins (although I've seen some contradictory origins listed for some families):

(full article online)

The only indigenous Palestinian Arab families, it seems, are descended from Jews ~ Elder Of Ziyon - Israel News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back