Who are the Baha'is and why are they so persecuted?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Baha'is are among the most persecuted religious minorities in the world.

In Iran, where the religion was founded, universities refuse to admit Baha'i students, Baha'i cemeteries have been destroyed and the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has confiscated properties from Baha'i families. Baha'is have also been discriminated against in Yemenand in Egypt.

At the same time, the Baha'i faith has spread around the globe. There are more than 100,000 local Baha'i communities in places as diverse as Chile, Cambodia and the United States.

On the 200th anniversary of the birth of Baha'u'llah, the founder of the Baha'i faith, the question remains: What is the reason for their persecution?

Baha'u'llah and the Babi movement
Baha'u'llah, whose name means “Glory of God” in Arabic, was born in Tehran in 1817. Baha'u'llah’s father was a minister in Iran’s government, which supported Shi'i Islam as the state religion. As a member of Iran’s nobility, Baha'u'llah was offered a government position. Instead, he joined a new religious movement, started by a young Iranian, known as the Bab.

The Babi movement called for revolutionary social changes and championed women’s rights. Quite controversially, the Bab claimed that his teachings were a revelation from God and predicted that a new prophetic figure, or manifestation of God, would soon appear.

I came across this quite by accident and it's a rather short but interesting read.

They are a fascinating religion...and one of the few that are truly peaceful and tolerant.

In Iran, where the religion was founded, universities refuse to admit Baha'i students, Baha'i cemeteries have been destroyed and the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has confiscated properties from Baha'i families. Baha'is have also been discriminated against in Yemenand in Egypt.

At the same time, the Baha'i faith has spread around the globe. There are more than 100,000 local Baha'i communities in places as diverse as Chile, Cambodia and the United States.

On the 200th anniversary of the birth of Baha'u'llah, the founder of the Baha'i faith, the question remains: What is the reason for their persecution?

Baha'u'llah, whose name means “Glory of God” in Arabic, was born in Tehran in 1817. Baha'u'llah’s father was a minister in Iran’s government, which supported Shi'i Islam as the state religion. As a member of Iran’s nobility, Baha'u'llah was offered a government position. Instead, he joined a new religious movement, started by a young Iranian, known as the Bab.

The Babi movement called for revolutionary social changes and championed women’s rights. Quite controversially, the Bab claimed that his teachings were a revelation from God and predicted that a new prophetic figure, or manifestation of God, would soon appear.

I came across this quite by accident and it's a rather short but interesting read.
Made friend' with a young man that was Bai'. He was one of the first to take a stand against the banks going after everyone and their brothers information for they could attempt to tap into it. A very honorable young man that did a whole lot of work to expose corruption in the banking system.

My guess would be that Iran actually has Jesuits in its religious leadership even though they call themselves Muslims.

That would probably be due to the fact that they are largely found in Islamic countries

They were catching particular hell back in the 1970's, and we couldn't figure it out then either.

Forum List

Back