White Fragility 101

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
I'm sure you've seen me use the term a few times, if not, you may have seen this term used elsewhere.

Here's a discussion between a white podcaster and the white author, Robin DiAngelo, "White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism", who coined this term back in 2011.

"White Fragility 101" | Crooked Media

The author explains what white fragility is, and the impact that it has on all white people and white progressives in particular: “One of the things that can trigger white fragility is generalizing about white people.”

It goes into many other aspects of this and is quite an accurate and informative discussion.

If you're open to the discourse, it's a good listen.

Let me know your thoughts once you do.

Might have something to do with immediately calling white people racists at the slightest provocation. Frankly, I am immune to the bs. Set goals, work hard to achieve them and don't let others pull you down.
I'd LOVE to get your feedback after listening to the short discussion saveliberty. What do you say?

I made it to 10:16. Neither of these two women appear to be racist, but feel a need to change their viewpoint to compensate for their race. They make several generalizations and stereotypical comments, along with a strong need to put a label on everyone.

Life is not that hard, treat people decently and get to know them before making a judgement on friend or foe. Apologizing for others is wrong, it assumes you are morally or ethically superior.

I disagree with many of your positions Marcatl, but I respect where you are coming from and that you do it in a straightforward and honest manner.

I made it to 10:16. Neither of these two women appear to be racist, but feel a need to change their viewpoint to compensate for their race. They make several generalizations and stereotypical comments, along with a strong need to put a label on everyone.

Life is not that hard, treat people decently and get to know them before making a judgement on friend or foe. Apologizing for others is wrong, it assumes you are morally or ethically superior.

I disagree with many of your positions Marcatl, but I respect where you are coming from and that you do it in a straightforward and honest manner.
Try again.

I think you can do it.

They're not apologizing, their recognizing.

Listen again, you're almost there.

I'm sure you've seen me use the term a few times, if not, you may have seen this term used elsewhere.

Here's a discussion between a white podcaster and the white author, Robin DiAngelo, "White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism", who coined this term back in 2011.

The author explains what white fragility is, and the impact that it has on all white people and white progressives in particular: “One of the things that can trigger white fragility is generalizing about white people.”

It goes into many other aspects of this and is quite an accurate and informative discussion.

If you're open to the discourse, it's a good listen.Let me know your thoughts once you do.

sure you do marc....only if its something you agree with...

Try again.

I think you can do it.

They're not apologizing, their recognizing.

Listen again, you're almost there.

No, they have personal issues which make them apologetic for things they had no part in. For example, the host freely admits filtering everything through her alcohol recovery point of view.

No, they have personal issues which make them apologetic for things they had no part in. For example, the host freely admits filtering everything through her alcohol recovery point of view.
Are you suggesting the we don't ALL live life through our personal filters?

Cause that's the only way your point would work.

Are you suggesting the we don't ALL live life through our personal filters?

Cause that's the only way your point would work.

Quite the opposite, I am stating we are individuals. This person and her guest are trying to label people and shame them into some guilt by association. I said the host's filter creates an apologetic theme specifically. You generalized that.

Might have something to do with immediately calling white people racists at the slightest provocation. Frankly, I am immune to the bs. Set goals, work hard to achieve them and don't let others pull you down.

No. Spare us your white rules of life because that's not how you accomplished what you have.

No. Spare us your white rules of life because that's not how you accomplished what you have.
How then do you say I accomplished what I have in this life oh great know it all?

"Because most whites have not been trained to think with complexity about racism, and because it benefits white dominance not to do so, we have a very limited understanding of it (Kumashiro, 2009; LaDuke, 2009). We are the least likely to see, comprehend, or be invested in validating people of color’s assertions of racism and being honest about their consequences (King, 1991). At the same time, because of white social, economic, and political power within a white dominant culture, whites are the group in the position to legitimize people of color’s assertions of racism.Being in this position engenders a form of racial arrogance, and in this racial arrogance, whites have little compunction about debating the knowledge of people who have thought deeply about race through research, study, peer-reviewed scholarship, deep and on-going critical self-reflection, interracial relationships, and lived experience (Chinnery, 2008). This expertise is often trivialized and countered with simplistic platitudes, such as “people just need to see each other as individuals” or “see each other as humans” or “take personal responsibility.”

White lack of racial humility often leads to declarations of disagreement when in fact the problem is that we do not understand. Whites generally feel free to dismiss informed perspectives rather than have the humility to acknowledge that they are unfamiliar, reflect on them further, seek more information, or sustain a dialogue (DiAngelo & Sensoy, 2009)."

Dr. Robin DiAngelo

How then do you say I accomplished what I have in this life oh great know it all?

White privilege.

No such thing as white fragility

Forum List

Back