Whip My Roman Sex Gods: "Valentine's Day", Goat Blood and the Sex Lottery

I'm a little puzzled about the claim anyone tried to "Christianize" Valentine's Day.......its not on my church calendar.....

It means Chrisitianizing Lupercalia and the various fertility rites into this "Valentine's Day" -- not Christianizing something that's already a Christianization. You know, like the Solstice was Christianized into Christmas, like the spring crop fertility rites were Christianized into Easter. And that means inventing a mythical "St. Valentine" as a cover story. HTH.

I'm a little puzzled about the claim anyone tried to "Christianize" Valentine's Day.......its not on my church calendar.....

It means Chrisitianizing Lupercalia and the various fertility rites into this "Valentine's Day" -- not Christianizing something that's already a Christianization. You know, like the Solstice was Christianized into Christmas, like the spring crop fertility rites were Christianized into Easter. And that means inventing a mythical "St. Valentine" as a cover story. HTH.

the point is, giving people something else to celebrate instead of a pagan ritual is not "christianization"......it reminds me of liberals who think we need to take evergreens and santa claus out of the class room because its a promotion of Christianity.....

the point is, giving people something else to celebrate instead of a pagan ritual is not "christianization"......it reminds me of liberals who think we need to take evergreens and santa claus out of the class room because its a promotion of Christianity.....
That's because you think you need to defend Christians and Christianity from the so called liberals. I'm very confident God doesn't need the help and yes, converting an old pagan festival/practice to a christian festival/practice IS Christianization by definition.

yes, converting an old pagan festival/practice to a christian festival/practice IS Christianization by definition.

and what makes it a christian festival......cupid?......candy and flowers?......Hallmark cards?......

I have no idea and what does it matter?
just searching for the item that makes it a "christian" festival......

Last edited:
yes, converting an old pagan festival/practice to a christian festival/practice IS Christianization by definition.

and what makes it a christian festival......cupid?......candy and flowers?......Hallmark cards?......

Catholic Roots of Valentine's Day - St. Valentine History

Unless you believe, as some wrongly do, that Catholics are not Christian.

Google is your friend..........

Of course what you are attempting to do is associate modern secular practices with Christian practices in a failed attempt to disassociate the the festival from any Christian celebration.

Last edited:

Of course what you are attempting to do is associate modern secular practices with Christian practices in a failed attempt to disassociate the the festival from any Christian celebration.

from the above....
So he changed the lottery to have both young men and women draw the names of saints whom they would then emulate for the year

well that explains it then.....I had always wondered why we had that Valentines' Day tradition of exchanging candy and writing religious thesis like St. Aquinas.....

from the above....
So he changed the lottery to have both young men and women draw the names of saints whom they would then emulate for the year

well that explains it then.....I had always wondered why we had that Valentines' Day tradition of exchanging candy and writing religious thesis like St. Aquinas.....
A Christian holiday, like many others that has been usurped by the secular. The two are completely different in main stream practices. It's a form of cultural evolution if you will.

the point is, giving people something else to celebrate instead of a pagan ritual is not "christianization"..........

Of course it is. The ancient traditions (Lupercalia, Samhain, Oestre/Beltane etc) were long established, as were the allegorical fables of redeemer gods who die on December 25 and resurrect.

Onto this scene comes a new church, which like any organized religion is a quasipolitical entity seeking power, and as such needs followers to feed itself. Ergo Lupercalia becomes "Valentiine", the Solstice and Saturnalia become "Christmas", Horus, Osiris et al become "Jesus". This way the people keep the traditions they're used to, albeit with a new coat of paint, and the church gets easier access to new customers. It's how co-optation works. Marketing 101.

Really the same thing as the commercial institutions that then went on to co-opt the religious aspect with the orgy of Christmas gifts, Valentine chocolates and Hallowe'en horror movies.

Last edited:

Evergreens and Santa have nothing to do with Christianism. Nor have I ever heard of anyone, politically minded or not, suggesting removing them for that or any other reason.

:cuckoo:

Horus, Osiris et al become "Jesus".

that one always makes me laugh....I understand there are some that actually stupid enough to fall for the claim....

I know -- millions actually. :rolleyes:
Makes ya go hmmm....

/shrugs....if there are millions of people willing to believe stupid things, it doesn't make them any less stupid....have you ever actually looked up anything about the true mythology of Horus or do you just cut and paste from Atheist-R-Us websites......

Last edited:
Horus was born to the goddess Isis after she retrieved all the dismembered body parts of her murdered husband Osiris, except his penis which was thrown into the Nile and eaten by a catfish,[7][8] or sometimes by a crab, and according to Plutarch's account (see Osiris) used her magic powers to resurrect Osiris and fashion a gold phallus[9] to conceive her son (older Egyptian accounts have the penis of Osiris surviving).
Horus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

omigorsh, a gold dildo, just like Jesus!......

I'm a Scorpio so working backwards I'm 98% certain I was the product of a Valentine's Day celebration

Horus was born to the goddess Isis after she retrieved all the dismembered body parts of her murdered husband Osiris, except his penis which was thrown into the Nile and eaten by a catfish,[7][8] or sometimes by a crab, and according to Plutarch's account (see Osiris) used her magic powers to resurrect Osiris and fashion a gold phallus[9] to conceive her son (older Egyptian accounts have the penis of Osiris surviving).
Horus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

omigorsh, a gold dildo, just like Jesus!......

^^ gets all hung up on a single detail from Wiki of all places and then talks about "cut and paste"
rofl.gif

092b1803fcbe2b22f95acc4e80a44847.jpeg

You're an amateur, trust me. I don't need the internets; I have a library and decades of study. But enjoy your cherrywikipickin' ... you'll eventually quote something I wrote there anyway. :bye1:

that one always makes me laugh....I understand there are some that actually stupid enough to fall for the claim....

Makes ya go hmmm....

/shrugs....if there are millions of people willing to believe stupid things, it doesn't make them any less stupid....have you ever actually looked up anything about the true mythology of Horus or do you just cut and paste from Atheist-R-Us websites......

Uhh.... yeah dood, since I was a teenager, which was before dirt was invented. That's why I do these mythological history threads. I love me some ancient history and rooting out where things come from.

I knew Lupercalia. Lupercalia was a friend of mine. Valentine, you're no Lupercalia.

Last edited:

Evergreens and Santa have nothing to do with Christianism. Nor have I ever heard of anyone, politically minded or not, suggesting removing them for that or any other reason.

:cuckoo:

lol.....when the public schools ban the mention of Christmas did you think there were nativity scenes lying around that had to be removed?......they are removing Christmas trees and fat red elves and wrapped presents.....I will agree that they have nothing to do with Christendom.....in fact, that was my point....its just that liberals, being liberals, aren't bright enough to realize that......

Last edited:
Makes ya go hmmm....

Uhh.... yeah dood, since I was a teenager, which was before dirt was invented. That's why I do these mythological history threads. I love me some ancient history and rooting out where things come from.

I knew Lupercalia. Lupercalia was a friend of mine. Valentine, you're no Lupercalia.

you may be Osiris......or at least the metal part of him......

Forum List

Back