I have to lol at the idea of papal infallibility

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
At this point.

Not that I don't sort of despise the traditional organized Religions to begin with, but to be the successor of Saint Peter, and resign.....

just

too

funny.

And Jesus hiccupped.

At this point.

Not that I don't sort of despise the traditional organized Religions to begin with, but to be the successor of Saint Peter, and resign.....

just

too

funny.

And Jesus hiccupped.

The pope is only infallable when he is dictating canon law, and only in specific cases.

It is not a blanket infallability.

At this point.

just

too

funny.

And Jesus hiccupped.

The pope is only infallable when he is dictating canon law, and only in specific cases.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahah.

I love this.

I hardly think the Pope is infalliable, but I don't see how resigning affects that claim whatsoever.

At this point.

just

too

funny.

And Jesus hiccupped.

I have a genuine question.. When one pope overturns a predecessors edict which pope is more infallible?

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error[1] "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church"

no?

ETA: sorry http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07790a.htm

Last edited:
Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error[1] "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church"

no?

ETA: sorry CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Infallibility

Thanks Kiki.

Reading through the text of your link confirms my belief that organized religion is completely lost on me.

I do, however, enjoy humbly reflecting upon my life in a beautifully decorated building while listening to a choir.

Papal Infallibility | Catholic Answers

Infallibility is not the absence of sin.

The Catholic Church’s teaching on papal infallibility is one which is generally misunderstood by those outside the Church. In particular, Fundamentalists and other "Bible Christians" often confuse the charism of papal "infallibility" with "impeccability." They imagine Catholics believe the pope cannot sin. Others, who avoid this elementary blunder, think the pope relies on some sort of amulet or magical incantation when an infallible definition is due.

Given these common misapprehensions regarding the basic tenets of papal infallibility, it is necessary to explain exactly what infallibility is not. Infallibility is not the absence of sin. Nor is it a charism that belongs only to the pope. Indeed, infallibility also belongs to the body of bishops as a whole, when, in doctrinal unity with the pope, they solemnly teach a doctrine as true. We have this from Jesus himself, who promised the apostles and their successors the bishops, the magisterium of the Church: "He who hears you hears me" (Luke 10:16), and "Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven" (Matt. 18:18).

I take issue with the extrapolated interpretation of Luke 10:16.

"He who hears you hears me," could be as easily interpreted to mean "He who reads the gospels (or hears...remember, when Jesus spoke these words, few could read) reads me"

The Gospels are, well, the Gospels, infalliable to all that hear and believe them.

There is nothing to make the bishops, the magisterium of the church as equally infallible as the Gospels.

At this point.

just

too

funny.

And Jesus hiccupped.

I have a genuine question.. When one pope overturns a predecessors edict which pope is more infallible?

Papal infallibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia has a good writeup on it. Generally the Pope will impose infallability only for certain declarations.

Forum List

Back