Whining List

No. Dickens is tedious and Great Expectations was utterly without merit. It literally had no point. I much preferred Titus, John Locke, and Lucifer's Hammer which I read at the same time.
Never liked Dickens. I'm a voracious reader and have been since I was about six, but nothing can suck the enjoyment out of reading faster than being forced to read something I despise for school. I think I recall exactly two books I read for school that I actually enjoyed.

Since some love to bitch and moan so much, here is some fodder. All likely true, but not legitimate excuses.

Rent-free, baby, rent. free.

Real teachers are very concerned and are speaking out.

People who most likely DO NOT TEACH are gatekeeping the real teachers and playing Pollyanna.

Probably so.

I know nurses who’ve quit jobs because they say they “care too much” for the residents and “can’t provide the care they want”

Usually really just means that they couldn’t handle the job.

No nurse will ever admit to not being a very good nurse. Like, never. Instead they imply the opposite. Their bad results and bad experiences are because they’re “too good”.

Young nurses who crash and burn early say they care too much and can’t provide competent care because they’re too busy being good and caring and youthful Angels in White and all the nurses who get their shit done only do so cause they’re old and crusty and cut corners.

I’d imagine a similar dynamic exists in teaching sometimes.

"Old and crusty and cut corners"--yes. Teaching nirvana. Except I wouldn't call it "cutting corners". To borrow a phrase from your profession, I would call it triage. Know the main thing; do the main thing. Let the other BS go.

Teaching very, very much favors a 23 yo fresh face over a 53 yo veteran. To our very great detriment. A great new teacher is wonderful. A great veteran is worth at least three great new teachers though.

And the trend is just getting worse, especially among floor nurses. The body can only take so much. A floor nurse does so much more than pass meds.

5-7 patients is a ton when you are doing more than just passing meds.

This is also teaching 2023....and all jobs very public-facing.

Frankly, our public sucks. And then whines when no one will serve them

Sometimes all complaining about working conditions does is add to the already negative working environment.

Which is why I don't complain at work. We all know and try to do what we can to stay encouraged.

I bring it HERE, where people think teachers are stupid and lazy, parents are always right and children are beautifully behaved all the time. But then I get chided by Fake Teacher for not being pollyanna. Sure dude.

So having empathy for those one serves makes one a weak non conforming player now?

~S~

To me, having empathy as a caregiver means protecting the way I think about and perceive students. I talk a lot about student behavior here, but NOT because their behavior makes my job difficult; rather, because it impacts the rights of ALL students to learn in peace.

Having empathy for my students means:

--I value them as individuals
--I respect them
--I care about them (more on this in a minute)
--I expect much of them because
--I know their capability, and find them highly capable

Empathy means on some level "sharing the feelings of others". A good nurse, one of longevity and competence, cannot do this long term. Perhaps I overstep but I think this might be what braalian is alluding to when he talks about younger, "overly caring" nurses. You cannot feel the pain of the patient with sepsis, terminal cancer, 3rd degree burns and do your job. And honesty, same for me. I cannot feel the feelings of 150 children a day.

What I CAN do--and hope to accomplish--is be a steady port in a storm, recognizing and acknowledging feelings while keeping a safe enough distance to be what patients/students need. It's only the rarest 23 yo straight out of school who can accomplish this. If they don't have a veteran with them saying, yeah, you need to get to the "safe port in a storm" place--they burn out.

Image , if you will, being in the presence of those leaving their mortal coil Sue. They know it, you know it, and you know there's not a d*mn thing you can do about it...... :( .~S~

Rent-free, baby, rent. free.

Real teachers are very concerned and are speaking out.

People who most likely DO NOT TEACH are gatekeeping the real teachers and playing Pollyanna.
Yup....you so perfectly described how the RW assholes are affecting education in America. This is especially evident in what Florida is doing.
I would expect any teaching professional to be up in arms about the politicization of the classroom and the actual misinformation being promulgated by ignorant politicians with an agenda.

Forum List

Back