Which requires more education? Government jobs or Private Sector jobs?

I put down a Keypunch Operator from 40 years ago thinking that qualifies her to comment on the number of degreed government professionals today

Governments typically hire people with degrees in waste management as janitors, regular companies just hire people like rdean.
The government doesnt employ anyone as a Janitor. They hire private contractors to do menial tasks

Yeah, like delivering letters........

:eusa_shhh:

Whups.

I put down a Keypunch Operator from 40 years ago thinking that qualifies her to comment on the number of degreed government professionals today

Governments typically hire people with degrees in waste management as janitors, regular companies just hire people like rdean.
The government doesnt employ anyone as a Janitor. They hire private contractors to do menial tasks

That was funny.

Janitor - CDC - DLA - Night Job Opening at Didlake, Inc. in Fort Belvoir, VA

That was funny.

Thanks for demonstrating my point. Didlake is a private company being hired to provide janitorial services at Ft Belvoir

As you can see for yourself, the folks in the government jobs in Washington (Congressmen, IRS workers, and the like) don't appear to have much of an education by the way they act.

Look how Bush acted. Look how much schooling he had.

That was funny.

Thanks for demonstrating my point. Didlake is a private company being hired to provide janitorial services at Ft Belvoir

So often, people attempting debate on this site actually make their opponent's case.

National Institute on Retirement - Out of Balance?

The study provides an original analysis of data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and finds that:

Jobs in the public sector typically require more education than private sector positions. Thus, state and local employees are twice as likely to hold a college degree or higher as compared to private sector employees. Only 23% of private sector employees have completed college as compared to about 48% in the public sector.
Wages and salaries of state and local employees are lower than those for private sector employees with comparable earnings determinants such as education and work experience. State workers typically earn 11% less and local workers 12% less.

Public workers receive less pay, gap widens

The Center for State and Local Government Excellence's president, Elizabeth Kellar, said that there is a "looming workforce crisis" in the public sector, as a wave of retirement and low pay collide, leaving holes in many highly skilled slots.

"Hiring managers told us that, despite the economy, they find it difficult to fill vacancies for highly skilled [public sector] positions such as engineering, environmental science, information technology and health care professionals," said Kellar. "The compensation gap may have something to do with this."

-------------------------------------------

Those jobs aren't filled because half the country thinks education is unneeded, liberal and for snobs.

It's really more of "Who you blow, not what you know", to get a job.

really?...you think its that easy?.....try it....see how far it gets you....but remember you have to take the civil service test first.....then i guess you can get your lips ready....

Keypunch Operator?

Did they let you work the mimeograph machine also?

some of you go out of your way to be an ass.....back then (1972/73) that is what was used...I put in license plate renewal into the state system....but you all put down being a lunch lady that works in a school feeding the children too...so nothing new from you high and mighty snobs...

No one was making fun of your job. Anyone with a job who is willing to work should be respected. And anyone looking for a job should be respected. Having a job, making legitimate money demands respect.

But you can't just trash people you have nothing to do with who have jobs you have never seen and don't understand. It makes you look like the "snob". Tearing down others because they may be more talented or worked harder.

You can bet government scientists got there through hard work and not because daddy pulled strings. If you can't do the job, you wouldn't last, no matter who your daddy is.

it looked that way to me.....

the Janitors in the PO work for the PO....

Yeah, like delivering letters........

:eusa_shhh:

Whups.

they are not private contractors....

Indeed, but they do menial tasks.....

menial tasks that many people cant handle mentally or physically....i dont know how many people i have seen come through the doors with the attitude...."deliver the mail?.....how hard could it be?"......many are gone a week later.....we had some good laughs at their expense.....

the Janitors in the PO work for the PO....

Damn......you guys ARE in the dark ages
No wonder they want to shut you down

why?....they get somewhat less pay....and in many cases they are Veterans who are handicapped in some way or Civilians who have an impairment.....is that being in the dark ages?....

they are not private contractors....

Indeed, but they do menial tasks.....

menial tasks that many people cant handle mentally or physically....i dont know how many people i have seen come through the doors with the attitude...."deliver the mail?.....how hard could it be?"......many are gone a week later.....we had some good laughs at their expense.....

Well, I'm certain SOME cannot handle menial tasks.

My point wasn't that mail delivery took NO mental or physical skill, but rather it did not require MUCH skill and lacked prestige.

The same could be said of most US Congressman.

How much education does being an intelligent consumer require?

When a janitor buys a stereo does he need to know what intermodulation distortion is? Reparing stereos required more knowledge than fixing computers for IBM.

LOL

Tell everyone the right books and stop getting excited about school.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco
teach yourself electricity and electronics

The Art of Electronics (1989) by Horowitz and Hill
Download The Art of Electronics ? Horowitz & Hill | books download

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.everycircuit&hl=en

psik

How much education does being an intelligent consumer require?

When a janitor buys a stereo does he need to know what intermodulation distortion is? Reparing stereos required more knowledge than fixing computers for IBM.

LOL

Tell everyone the right books and stop getting excited about school.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco
teach yourself electricity and electronics

The Art of Electronics (1989) by Horowitz and Hill
Download The Art of Electronics ? Horowitz & Hill | books download

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.everycircuit&hl=en

psik

WTF? :eek:

Forum List

Back