Which requires more education? Government jobs or Private Sector jobs?

Many government jobs have a virtual, if not mandatory, requirement for a college degree, but the degree need not be in any particular field or major.

Most government jobs requiring a "professional" (small "p") degree, like accounting or engineering, are filled by people who barely graduated and their prospects in the competitive job market are quite limited. So they go to work as government auditors, inspectors, or regulators. Certainly, this is not true in ALL cases, but on average, the quality of accountants, engineers, and scientists in public sector is markedly lower than their counterparts in private industry.

Also consider that so-called "minorities" are more than welcome in the public sector, and they often walk over the threshhold with marginal degrees from "traditionally Black colleges," and from low-ranked state colleges, holding majors in "Ethnic Studies," "Communications," and other such lightweight nonsense.

I wouldn't be too impressed by the fact that public sector employees are more likely to have college degrees than private sector employees. Candidly speaking, it don't mean shit.

It used to be the case

Government attracted the less desirable college graduates because they had a non-competitive pay scale
Then a funny thing happened. Professionals in the private sector found themselves being laid off and without work for extended periods of time. They came begging for government pay and benefits

The quality of the workforce in government is now much better

lol, the quality of the workforce in government is much better...

yeah, you only have to wait an hour now instead of two at the DMV and the Post office...and talk about rude and dismissive people....but hey, they are working on that...lol

I spent three years in the Army, and worked in procurement for Department of Defense for 5 years.

Most of my colleagues had college degrees at the time, though I did not - I scored in the 98th percentile on the aptitude test (PACE) and, being a veteran, they hired me very reluctantly, assuming that a College Graduate with a degree in political science from bullshit U would be more capable than I was.

Because of my position I frequently saw government accountants (auditors) and engineers interfacing with their counterparts in the private companies who were our contractors. Rarely was a government guy able to "hold his own" in discussions and negotiations. Frequently, the contractors got screwed because the procurement officers were resentful and envious of the professionals on the other side of the table.

as a semi-humorour footnote, the Carter Administration was VERY unhappy with the Government's aptitude test because Blacks and Hispanics could never score high enough to get consideration for a position. His administrator for the Office of Personnel Management decreed that the test was dead - until they could develop one that was structured so that "minorities" would "pass" in the same proportion as caucasians. I laughed my ass off. The test, as described, as given up as an impossible task a few years later, and the Feds then started evaluating applicants purely on grades in college, which REWARDED you for going to a mediocre school and graduating with honors. Nice.

My co-workers were chronically lazy. No one worked a MINUTE of voluntary overtime in the 5 years I was there, despite the fact that we were considered "professionals." I saw people stand up and leave meetings when it was their quitting time (we were on "felex-time"). My whole office religiously look a 1/2 hour break - in the cafeteria - every morning at 9:30 and again at 2pm, something I have never seen in the private sector.

And yet they constantly talked about how busy and productive they were.

Just one office, so I shouldn't make assumptions, but...

It shows once again that you get what you pay for

When the government insisted to pay rock bottom salaries for engineers, scientists, lawyers and accountants they found themselves at a disadvantage when they had to interact with contractors who were paying top dollar and drawing the top college graduates

lol, the quality of the workforce in government is much better...

yeah, you only have to wait an hour now instead of two at the DMV and the Post office...and talk about rude and dismissive people....but hey, they are working on that...lol

The day they fired you as a GS-2 "Keypunch Operator" the quality of their workforce improved

I worked for the guberment just out of high school as a keypunch operator.....and seeing the different types of jobs in government , not many of the jobs need or are required to have college educations...

rdean doesn't live in reality...

Keypunch Operator?

Did they let you work the mimeograph machine also?

I worked for the guberment just out of high school as a keypunch operator.....and seeing the different types of jobs in government , not many of the jobs need or are required to have college educations...

Keypunch Operator?

some of you go out of your way to be an ass.....back then (1972/73) that is what was used...I put in license plate renewal into the state system....but you all put down being a lunch lady that works in a school feeding the children too...so nothing new from you high and mighty snobs...

Last edited:
National Institute on Retirement - Out of Balance?

The study provides an original analysis of data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and finds that:

Jobs in the public sector typically require more education than private sector positions. Thus, state and local employees are twice as likely to hold a college degree or higher as compared to private sector employees. Only 23% of private sector employees have completed college as compared to about 48% in the public sector.
Wages and salaries of state and local employees are lower than those for private sector employees with comparable earnings determinants such as education and work experience. State workers typically earn 11% less and local workers 12% less.

Public workers receive less pay, gap widens

The Center for State and Local Government Excellence's president, Elizabeth Kellar, said that there is a "looming workforce crisis" in the public sector, as a wave of retirement and low pay collide, leaving holes in many highly skilled slots.

"Hiring managers told us that, despite the economy, they find it difficult to fill vacancies for highly skilled [public sector] positions such as engineering, environmental science, information technology and health care professionals," said Kellar. "The compensation gap may have something to do with this."

-------------------------------------------

Those jobs aren't filled because half the country thinks education is unneeded, liberal and for snobs.

It's really more of "Who you blow, not what you know", to get a job.

Keypunch Operator?

some of you go out of your way to be an ass.....back then (1972/73) that is what was used...I put in license plate renewal into the state system....but you all put down being a lunch lady that works in a school feeding the children too...so nothing new from you high and mighty snobs...

I put down a Keypunch Operator from 40 years ago thinking that qualifies her to comment on the number of degreed government professionals today

Last edited:
Keypunch Operator?

I put down a Keypunch Operator from 40 years ago thinking that qualifies her to comment on the number of degreed government professionals today

oh ok, that makes it all right for you be an ass...carry on riding on your high horesy
giddy up

Last edited:
My favorite movie line of all time....

Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked working for the university! They gave us money and facilities. We didn’t have to produce anything. You’ve never been out of college. You don’t know what it’s like out there! I’ve worked in the private sector… they expect results!

Ghostbusters.....classic

Government jobs....just show up.
Sort of look busy.
Fly under the radar and don't make waves.Put in your time and walk away
with a nice pension....

As a "keypunch operator", what "different types" of government jobs did you see? Janitor? Switchboard?

When I did keypunching I saw programmers and what would now be called IT personnel, they didn't have college degrees for things like that back then.

As a "keypunch operator", what "different types" of government jobs did you see? Janitor? Switchboard?

like I said, reality and rdean don't go hand in hand

Give him a break, he probably thinks keypunch means that you punched keys that didn't work right.

Keypunch Operator?

Governments typically hire people with degrees in waste management as janitors, regular companies just hire people like rdean.

Keypunch Operator?

No one was making fun of your job. Anyone with a job who is willing to work should be respected. And anyone looking for a job should be respected. Having a job, making legitimate money demands respect.

But you can't just trash people you have nothing to do with who have jobs you have never seen and don't understand. It makes you look like the "snob". Tearing down others because they may be more talented or worked harder.

You can bet government scientists got there through hard work and not because daddy pulled strings. If you can't do the job, you wouldn't last, no matter who your daddy is.

As you can see for yourself, the folks in the government jobs in Washington (Congressmen, IRS workers, and the like) don't appear to have much of an education by the way they act.

Governments typically hire people with degrees in waste management as janitors, regular companies just hire people like rdean.
The government doesnt employ anyone as a Janitor. They hire private contractors to do menial tasks

Forum List

Back