Debate Now Which is the better outcome of the 2016 Elections?

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
[This is my first attempt at entreating for a discussion in this forum, and I'm not sure if I must open with an essay of my own, or whether I may begin with a question as I've done below.]

Of the options offered below, which of them would you argue is the best possible outcome of the 2016 elections? Which would you prefer happen? Which do you argue will be best for U.S. as a whole?
  1. One party -- realizing and considering that it may not necessarily be your party -- gains clear control of both houses of Congress and the presidency.
  2. Your preferred presidential candidate wins the presidency.
  3. The two elected arms of the federal government remain controlled by different parties.
Discussion Rules:
  1. Please present your replies in dialectical form: introduction and assertion, argument(s), counterargument(s), rebuttal, conclusion.
  2. Give due consideration, as needed to support your argument, to (1) theories of government and (2) near term (five years or less) and longer term (greater than five years out) political, economic and social factors.
  3. Unsubstantiated assertions are not allowed as support for your position. Provide, or be ready to provide if asked, references/citations (weblinks are preferred, but if you must cite a non-web based source, APA/MLA format will do) for any facts you use to bolster your position and that (1) cannot be seen as generally and well known by folks who lack specialized training with regard to the facts you cite, or (2) that are debateable. For example, if you were to use the fact that something can come from nothing, you need to provide a physics or mathematical reference that shows that to be factually true because most people believe that something cannot come from nothing.
Though it isn't required, feel free to identify specific parties, candidates, policies, etc. to the extent necessary to make your argument cogent.

Please present your replies in dialectical form: introduction and assertion, argument(s), counterargument(s), rebuttal, conclusion.

Best of luck. For most, this board is an occasional five or ten minutes of coffee break entertainment.

Until otherwise, given the limited number of choices, #2, for obvious reasons.

One Party Rule kind of depends on the party, don't you think? Given the calamitous state of our foreign, domestic and fiscal affairs, continued gridlock seems to be an undesirable outcome for the 2016 elections. We have also seen the results of Liberal control after the 2008 elections, so why not try a Conservative government? The irony is that they would then be punished for instituting the very reforms that are needed to restore American leadership in the world.

Last edited:
The government will continue to be split after 2016. The dems most likely will keep the presidency, and very likely the Senate will go blue and the House will remain red. If the freedom caucus continues to be diminished in importance and power, the government will move toward the center.

Please present your replies in dialectical form: introduction and assertion, argument(s), counterargument(s), rebuttal, conclusion.

Best of luck. For most, this board is an occasional five or ten minutes of coffee break entertainment.

Until otherwise, given the limited number of choices, #2, for obvious reasons.

TY. Well, I'm not in a hurry to get replies. After all, we have about a year before the election. LOL

Forum List

Back