Where Does Gravity Come From?

Where Does Gravity Come From

We know a lot about gravity, but some basic questions remain unanswered:

1) What is gravity?

2) Where does gravity come from?

3) Would it be possible to have a universe without a law of gravity?

Using the "God of the gaps" argument, there are some pretty major gaps here.

Why do scientists assume that gravity is a given?

Imagine a universe where matter does not attract other matter?

Since we do not know what gravity is, we cannot say such a universe is impossible.

But one thing is certain, there could be no life in such a universe.

As a philisophical tool I though 'God is in the gaps' was done away with centuries ago?

We take a lot of things for granted, like gravity, the speed of light, the laws of physics, the boiling points of different elements.

Tweek one thing, one small detail, and it would all be out of whack and human life would not be possible.

I think there is a good argument for saying that nothing in this universe was randomly determined, not even the smallest detail.

Baloney. If there's any constant you can count on from the universe, it's entropy.

And on the topic of the universe.....

Complex organic molecule found in interstellar space

BBC ^

Scientists have found the beginnings of life-bearing chemistry at the centre of the galaxy. Iso-propyl cyanide has been detected in a star-forming cloud 27,000 light-years from Earth. Its branched carbon structure is closer to the complex organic molecules of life than any previous finding from interstellar space....

odd that it didn't evolve into intelligent life by now

You must remember we are looking BACK IN TIME! Perhaps it has and it's more advanced than we are!

That bottle of Iso- propyl cyanide didnt just walk off the shelf by itself did it? or did it :)

If it wasnt for gravity.... you wouldnt get those nice fluffy pancakes, youd get some sort of Matzo ball. Hmmm all this gravity talk is making me hungry,
pancake break aanybody??

We take a lot of things for granted, like gravity, the speed of light, the laws of physics, the boiling points of different elements.

Tweek one thing, one small detail, and it would all be out of whack and human life would not be possible.

I think there is a good argument for saying that nothing in this universe was randomly determined, not even the smallest detail.

No offense meant by this, but if there's anything to the God is in the Gaps arguement, it's that your gaps of understanding physics, astronomy, and science in general are so vast that God fits in it.

The speed of light, once thought to be constant isn't. Can google that if curious it's kinda paranthetical to my point. The laws of physics aren't so absolute that they prove a god must be responsible for them. Science evolves and changes as newer experiments testing its truths come to be. Better more powerful computers for example allow some concepts and truths to be tested, confirmed, or refuted.

By and large, scientific truth solves specific problems, but still isn't absolutely true in every instance. Much of what science 'takes for granted' is only true here on Earth, or in some cases in microgravity as in orbit. But as our complete guesswork about black holes demonstrates, much of our knowledge is still incomplete.

As we hoped the higg's boson imparts gravity onto larger particles. But as is always the case, the higg's is not the smallest most indivisable particle and is actually made up of several quarks. And they're made up of even smaller things. On down to infinity. Thus while we may discover things about the universe and how things work, the 'it works' depends on halting investigation to some scale. If you went further you'd discover there's yet more to discover and figure out.

But because we don't understand things so completely doesn't mean that some conscious sentient being we call God is responsible. That's just taking the laxy way out and instead of doing the work and investigating we give credit to God and end the inquiry.

Baloney. If there's any constant you can count on from the universe, it's entropy.

Ectropy would be just as much a constant since without it there would be no entropy .

You must remember we are looking BACK IN TIME! Perhaps it has and it's more advanced than we are!

27,000 years. A mouse fart on the scale of four billion years that life has existed on our planet. No, I don't think sentient beings can evolve from organic molecular soup in 27,000 year.

LIGHT YEARS, now want to convert that to EARTH TIME?...Here let me help you

The light-year is a measure of distance, not time. It is the total distance that a beam of light, moving in a straight line, travels in one year. To obtain an idea of the size of a light-year, take the circumference of the earth (24,900 miles), lay it out in a straight line, multiply the length of the line by 7.5 (the corresponding distance is one light-second), then place 31.6 million similar lines end to end. The resulting distance is almost 6 trillion (6,000,000,000,000) miles for ONE YEAR!!

Al

All we know for certain is that atheists think they evolved from monkeys and apes

The theories describing evolution are the best explanations we have so far. The scope, robustness, evidence in support, and explanatory power of the theories fit our observations better than the creation stories of any religion.
that's pretty funny.......tell me, do you really believe that?.....because there actually is no fucking evidence that organic chemicals turned into life.....

Al

All we know for certain is that atheists think they evolved from monkeys and apes

The theories describing evolution are the best explanations we have so far. The scope, robustness, evidence in support, and explanatory power of the theories fit our observations better than the creation stories of any religion.

No, they're not. Those theories are ridiculous and mathematically impossible. The odds of random molecules forming a protein and those proteins forming cells are beyond astronomical.

Are we talking about the theories of evolution or abiogenesis? Evolution has to do with the diversity of life forms, and abiogenesis with the how life developed in the first place. Because we don't know the conditions of all the places on the planet when life began, and all the conditions that must be for life to begin, no one knows the odds of it forming in the first place. So talking about the odds of it happening is pointless. No one knows what the odds are. But here's link if you wish to educate yourself on abiogenesis, statistics, and science:

Lies Damned Lies Statistics and Probability ofAbiogenesis Calculations
obviously we aren't talking about evolution.....we are talking about the origin of life.....evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life.....neither do puddles of mud spontaneously erupting into life.....

Where Does Gravity Come From

We know a lot about gravity, but some basic questions remain unanswered:

1) What is gravity?

2) Where does gravity come from?

3) Would it be possible to have a universe without a law of gravity?

Using the "God of the gaps" argument, there are some pretty major gaps here.

Why do scientists assume that gravity is a given?

Imagine a universe where matter does not attract other matter?

Since we do not know what gravity is, we cannot say such a universe is impossible.

But one thing is certain, there could be no life in such a universe.

As a philisophical tool I though 'God is in the gaps' was done away with centuries ago?

replaced by "science of the gaps" theory.....

Forum List

Back