Where Does Gravity Come From?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Where Does Gravity Come From

We know a lot about gravity, but some basic questions remain unanswered:

1) What is gravity?

2) Where does gravity come from?

3) Would it be possible to have a universe without a law of gravity?

Using the "God of the gaps" argument, there are some pretty major gaps here.

Why do scientists assume that gravity is a given?

Imagine a universe where matter does not attract other matter?

Since we do not know what gravity is, we cannot say such a universe is impossible.

But one thing is certain, there could be no life in such a universe.

We take a lot of things for granted, like gravity, the speed of light, the laws of physics, the boiling points of different elements.

Tweek one thing, one small detail, and it would all be out of whack and human life would not be possible.

I think there is a good argument for saying that nothing in this universe was randomly determined, not even the smallest detail.

We take a lot of things for granted, like gravity, the speed of light, the laws of physics, the boiling points of different elements.

Tweek one thing, one small detail, and it would all be out of whack and human life would not be possible.

I think there is a good argument for saying that nothing in this universe was randomly determined, not even the smallest detail.

Baloney. If there's any constant you can count on from the universe, it's entropy.

Baloney. If there's any constant you can count on from the universe, it's entropy.

And on the topic of the universe.....

Complex organic molecule found in interstellar space

BBC ^

Scientists have found the beginnings of life-bearing chemistry at the centre of the galaxy. Iso-propyl cyanide has been detected in a star-forming cloud 27,000 light-years from Earth. Its branched carbon structure is closer to the complex organic molecules of life than any previous finding from interstellar space....

The Earth sucks!

No, that's why outer space is a vacuum -- because the whole world sucks.

Evangelical Scientists Refute Gravity with "Intelligent Falling"
This is a satire article, so it is very misleading to post a link to it without warning that it is satire.

I will keep a closer eye on you from now on Pogo. You have proven yourself willing to use deception to win arguments.

Trust is very hard to win back once it is lost.

It says "the onion" right in the URL -- duh?

What comedian gives the joke away before the delivery? Would you want your pizza delivered that way?

Tough crowd. :crybaby:

By the way -- a joke is in no way an "argument". Every joke involves benign deception. :rolleyes:

And yet all of us are sitting in front of our computers, arguing the meaning of life and the laws of the universe. How did THAT happen?

Where Does Gravity Come From

We know a lot about gravity, but some basic questions remain unanswered:

1) What is gravity?

Imagine a universe where matter does not attract other matter?

Gravity is not a force of objects with mass or matter to attract each other, but with energy. Because gravity also attracts massless but energetic particles such as light.

2) Where does gravity come from?

Could you be more specific? Do you mean the energy required for movement of objects?

As far as I know the most accepted theory is that objects cause a dent in space time, like a heave object on a matress:

27zaws6.jpg

And that this causes the attraction.

But it hasnt been confirmed yet.

3) Would it be possible to have a universe without a law of gravity?

Yes. It would be flat and featureless though.

Using the "God of the gaps" argument, there are some pretty major gaps here.

Using the god of the gaps argument is rather ridicilous since you are doing nothing more than pushing the boundries of access for your faith.

Why do scientists assume that gravity is a given?

They dont. Actualy some of the smartest heads in the world tried figuring it out. Including Einstein himself.
The theory mentioned above is currently believed to be the most likely. Believed though and not tested.

Since we do not know what gravity is, we cannot say such a universe is impossible.

And nobody is.

But one thing is certain, there could be no life in such a universe.

So?

But that doesn't mean that life itself in some form could not exist.

The Earth sucks!

This is a satire article, so it is very misleading to post a link to it without warning that it is satire.

I will keep a closer eye on you from now on Pogo. You have proven yourself willing to use deception to win arguments.

Anyone that doesn't realize that is satire should take a good look at themselves and realize that that they kind of dimwitted.

The Earth sucks!

Anyone that doesn't realize that is satire should take a good look at themselves and realize that that they kind of dimwitted.
OK, well that's your first contribution to the debate, and all you added was rudeness.

The Earth sucks!

And -- you can't form a grammatically correct sentence.

Al

All we know for certain is that atheists think they evolved from monkeys and apes

Things fall to earth because God wants them to

The Earth sucks!

OK, well that's your first contribution to the debate, and all you added was rudeness.

OK well "rudeness" was your own reaction to simple satire, so whose fault is that.

If satire came with warning labels it wouldn't work. That's the whole point.

Duh.

Forum List

Back