where are the starving american children ?

We've got some of the fattest starving people on earth.

I don't see any kids starving and I live in a town with a huge number of very poor people.

Being fat can be a sign of being malnourished, rather than being well fed.

Also, the "fatty" foods are a lot cheaper to buy than than fruits and vegetables, and lean cuts of meats. The kids are eating pork rinds and hot cheetos and Little Debbies, with a orange soda as thier drink.

cheetos are expensive, very expensive, you could buy oranges for the price of a bag of cheetos.

As someone who works with inner city children, I can attest to the fact that some do come to school starving. They may have not had dinner the night before, or mom was asleep on the couch and they had to fend for themselves to whatever they could make.

We have free breakfast and lunch for them, and for the 3 weeks of summer school (which only about 15% go to because of $$ ) they do too.

Summer vacation is 10 weeks. I'm sure they don't starve to death, since they all come back to school in August. But,,,,some of them are eating better in school with those crappy "airline" style lunches than they do at home.

I congratulate you for your work

I don't think there are many American children starving from lack of food. The children who are hungry are hungry because of parental neglect. Its good for the schools to offer a stopgap to ensuring the kids have proper nutrition, but we really need to go after the marginal parents

Yes, maybe "starving" was the wrong choice of word, how about, "Very, very hungry."
Have you ever watched a kid tear into his food like it's the first time he/she has eaten? They are to leave anything they don't eat on a tray, but often I find food that they've snuck out of the lunchroom in their bookbags. And I'm always sending them home with food, and I provide a snack at 11 everyday too.

And you're right, a lot of these parents need to learn how to shop for healthy foods.

Also, the "fatty" foods are a lot cheaper to buy than than fruits and vegetables, and lean cuts of meats. The kids are eating pork rinds and hot cheetos and Little Debbies, with a orange soda as thier drink.

cheetos are expensive, very expensive, you could buy oranges for the price of a bag of cheetos.

They are those "off brand" Cheetos, but yes, you could buy apples or oranges instead. Here they are 79 cents each, what are they in FLA now?

I don't see any kids starving and I live in a town with a huge number of very poor people.

Exactly true, it always amazes me that when we have kids over to go swimming or what, they WILL choose to eat the healthier snacks IF you give them that option. Well, most of the time anyway.

In any case, telling a child they can't eat at school because their parents won't pay is cruel, stupid, and just about the worst thing I could thing of doing. Hell , I didn't even like it when our school had a separate lunch ticket for the discounted meals and the still another for the free meals. Pathetic to embarrass a child like that.

I think Cheetos was just an example. My opinion is that people who more often make those types of choices are simply uneducated, which usually goes hand in hand with being poor. Children usually like what their children like, so if uneducated mom loves cokes and cheetos well of course thats what junior is going to like and so on and so forth.

As someone who works with inner city children, I can attest to the fact that some do come to school starving. They may have not had dinner the night before, or mom was asleep on the couch and they had to fend for themselves to whatever they could make.

We have free breakfast and lunch for them, and for the 3 weeks of summer school (which only about 15% go to because of $$ ) they do too.

Summer vacation is 10 weeks. I'm sure they don't starve to death, since they all come back to school in August. But,,,,some of them are eating better in school with those crappy "airline" style lunches than they do at home.

I don't think there are many American children starving from lack of food. The children who are hungry are hungry because of parental neglect. Its good for the schools to offer a stopgap to ensuring the kids have proper nutrition, but we really need to go after the marginal parents

Yes, maybe "starving" was the wrong choice of word, how about, "Very, very hungry."
Have you ever watched a kid tear into his food like it's the first time he/she has eaten? They are to leave anything they don't eat on a tray, but often I find food that they've snuck out of the lunchroom in their bookbags. And I'm always sending them home with food, and I provide a snack at 11 everyday too.

And you're right, a lot of these parents need to learn how to shop for healthy foods.

I agree with you. With many parents it is indifference over how their children eat. But I suspect a lot of it is a lack of education. Cooking and shopping skills used to define the lower classes. The ability to take inexpensive foods and make healthy filling meals.
I think today if you gave every American family a free 20 lb bag of flour, most would throw it out....they would have no idea what to do with it.

Last edited:

I agree with you. With many parents it is indifference over how their children eat. But I suspect a lot of it is a lack of education. Cooking and shopping skills used to define the lower classes. The ability to take inexpensive foods and make healthy filling meals.
I think today if you gave every American family a free 20 lb bag of flour, most would throw it out....they would have no idea what to do with it.

Very true, but I THINK attitudes are changing, at least in my area. Our school offers an extended version of what we used to call home ec, which consists of 6 classes which teach everything from shopping to preparing meals to nutrition etc etc, and it's very encouraging to see that they have become so popular that we're going to have to offer most of them twice a day next school year. Kids are wanting to learn to cook. Honestly , I give some credit here to that evil television and the Food Network.

In a related note. I'll tell yall what just pisses me off more than anything. When you see a family at WM with a grocery cart full of garbage, with obviously malnourished kids in toe but mom and dad gotta get their cigarettes. OOOH I just wanna smack the fuck out of those people.

Very true, but I THINK attitudes are changing, at least in my area. Our school offers an extended version of what we used to call home ec, which consists of 6 classes which teach everything from shopping to preparing meals to nutrition etc etc, and it's very encouraging to see that they have become so popular that we're going to have to offer most of them twice a day next school year. Kids are wanting to learn to cook. Honestly , I give some credit here to that evil television and the Food Network.

It makes sense to teach cooking. Many kids don't learn those skills at home. My son was a Boy Scout and every boy in the troop learned how to shop for food and prepare meals for the entire troop. Its a skill they carry through life.
I also think they need to stress the "economics" of home economics. How to make a family budget, balance a checkbook, prioritize your expenditures, get a car loan, sign a rental agreement. many Americans are clueless when it comes to managing their finances

It makes sense to teach cooking. Many kids don't learn those skills at home. My son was a Boy Scout and every boy in the troop learned how to shop for food and prepare meals for the entire troop. Its a skill they carry through life.
I also think they need to stress the "economics" of home economics. How to make a family budget, balance a checkbook, prioritize your expenditures, get a car loan, sign a rental agreement. many Americans are clueless when it comes to managing their finances

We honestly don't do a good enough job in teaching the other skills in these classes. Maybe as we expand them we can teach more than just meal preparation and such. It's kinda hard to offer another set of classes because there's only so many options we can offer.

And you'd be amazed at how many "hick boys" sign for the cooking classes. It's encouraging. I think this year we had 4 seniors who intend to pursue a culinary career including my own son who desires to be a pastry chef.

But if schools weren't burdened down with thousands and thousands of immigrant kids then money would be available for lean meat, fruits and veggies.

The poor in America are generally Not Starving. The odds are more in favor of them being obese.

Home ec classes were among the first to be cut when liberals started looking for classes to cut so they could keep all the unions happy.

now please don't read anything into this, these are just a couple of questions, asked in ernest. O.K. are there starving children in america. that's an obvious yes, with 300 million people. but, where are they? how many? do they fall through the cracks of state aid? are any children, homeless or otherwise, ever denied food assistance? is the problem in finding them to help, or is the assistance, being squandered by their guardians, causing them not to get what they need.. thx

Republicans are funny people.

I'm baffled that people are so naive they think young children are seeking out food assistance on their own.

Why did those kids choose to be the offspring of POOR people..and why do the poor choose to be poor anyway? Whats up with that? :cuckoo:

Last edited:

What, exactly, do you think they look like?

A large part of the problem in the US is we have a large population of homeless children. Those kids are completely off the radar, and are typically teens so you don't notice them.

Those kids are hungry. And there are no shelters outside of the big cities.

Why did those kids choose to be the offspring of POOR people..and why do the poor choose to be poor anyway? Whats up with that? :cuckoo:

I do feel for the kids and I think we should help them break the cycle. as for the parents they should be shot at point blank range in the head for bringing a kid into the world they couldn't afford. there is absolutely no reason someone needs to work a min wage job anymore except for laziness, you can go to school from kindergarten to college or technical/vocational school for free off gov assistance and become something useful. once that happens and you have stable income then you can start trying to take care of other people and we wouldn't have to worry about so many starving children

Forum List

Back