where are the starving american children ?

Really? You do?????

Kids cannot obtain their own food. Period. You act as if there are these little child food criminals out there finding ways to scam for food they don't need. That's ludicrous. And you pretend if they want the food, it's there for the taking. It's not.

Kids can't get food stamps on their own. They cant' get food from pantries on their own. All they can do is go to shelters and kids' clubs...and outside of METROPOLITAN centers, those DON'T exist.

There are a lot of hungry kids in the US, you elitist scum.

What do you propose, taking every child away from his or her parents at birth and sending them all way for the government can make sure there's not a single bad parent in custody of his or her child? :cuckoo:

No, somebody else proposed that. You, I think, you moron.

My contention is with the yahoos who are insisting children in the US aren't hungry. They are.

I've also dealt with families living in tents..one in a park along the river, one behind a restaurant. One guess what the family behind the restaurant ate. Dumpster food. The girl in the park (with her 4 year old child) didn't have a car, and was miles away from a city or a store.

Those kids are hungry.
As are the kids I've seen combing blackberry bushes for berries along parking lots. As are the kids my kids have brought home who SAY they're hungry.

I'd wager a lot of the kids being starved are being starved by foster parents, anyway. Taking them away from one problem and plopping them in the middle of another isn't going to fix anything.

Foster parents who take in kids just for the check make me sick. They should be shot.

You know, it's been years, but I had hunted down a bunch of stats on orphanages VS foster care. What I discovered was that we had a lot less abuse, better results with permanent placement for children, and it was much more affordable to use state ran orphanages.

Many of the orphanges were set up like homes, but staffed by licenced personnel in much the same way we license day cares and adult assisted care facilities.

Why is it hard for some to understand/grasp that there ARE kids here in America hungry, some maybe starving. Allie & I work with some of these children and see it every day.

No message board warrior is going to tell us different, because it's what we see in our real lives. That we try to help them as best as we can too, wishing we could do more.

Why is it hard for some to understand/grasp that there ARE kids here in America hungry, some maybe starving. Allie & I work with some of these children and see it every day.

No message board warrior is going to tell us different, because it's what we see in our real lives. That we try to help them as best as we can too, wishing we could do more.

Well, maybe next time those kids should be born to better parents.

That seems to be the consensus.

I'd wager a lot of the kids being starved are being starved by foster parents, anyway. Taking them away from one problem and plopping them in the middle of another isn't going to fix anything.

Foster parents who take in kids just for the check make me sick. They should be shot.

You know, it's been years, but I had hunted down a bunch of stats on orphanages VS foster care. What I discovered was that we had a lot less abuse, better results with permanent placement for children, and it was much more affordable to use state ran orphanages.

Many of the orphanges were set up like homes, but staffed by licenced personnel in much the same way we license day cares and adult assisted care facilities.

Unfortunately, orphanages got a bad rap because we went through a stage where children were treated as criminals. There was no playing, children were expected to be silent in the dorms, they were whipped, they were starved, and they were wiped out by illness because in their weakened states they fell to influenza, diptheria, whooping cough, you name it.

But foster care is just as bad. Though we no longer deal with epidemics on the scale we did. We've had foster parents call and complain because a sick infant was placed with them, and it threw up. OH MY GOD! NO!

They seem to think they should be getting a lot of money and they can get quite nasty when they realize that despite the horrible things they say about their foster kids, they aren't getting an enhanced rate.

Unfortunately, orphanages got a bad rap because we went through a stage where children were treated as criminals. There was no playing, children were expected to be silent in the dorms, they were whipped, they were starved, and they were wiped out by illness because in their weakened states they fell to influenza, diptheria, whooping cough, you name it.

But foster care is just as bad. Though we no longer deal with epidemics on the scale we did. We've had foster parents call and complain because a sick infant was placed with them, and it threw up. OH MY GOD! NO!

They seem to think they should be getting a lot of money and they can get quite nasty when they realize that despite the horrible things they say about their foster kids, they aren't getting an enhanced rate.

It is a sad situation, like those poor kids don't have it bad enough as it is someone has to mistreat them on top of it. I'd foster 100 kids if I could afford it, I feel sorry for them. But we spend as much as we can afford on our little group that we do for... i wish more people would do more.

They're homeless, too. Even in my tiny little town, we have a percentage of kids who are homeless. They stay with friends, so you don't see them sleeping on park benches, though they certainly HAVE slept in some strange and/or dangerous places.

I know because I work with the school counselor, who helps them.

I don't think anyone is saying necessarily that there aren't any hungry children.

What we are saying is that this isn't a failing of society, it is a failing of their parents. There is help out there, so if the parents let their children go hungry after we all have made remedies available, I am not sure what else society can do.

What is the solution?

Free food - we have that already
school lunches - we have that already
charities - we have that already
govt programs - we have that already
grow own food - we have that already
beg for food - we have that already

Last edited:

I feel I need to jump in and defend foster parents....I've known a lot of them, they aren't like the one's you are talking about. One couple, after their son grew up and left home took in 5 foster kids, all with various disabilities. Two of them they later adopted. They were well cared for, I babysat for them every Friday night and do you know what they did with that little bit of time away from their kids? They went out to dinner, then shopping for the kids.

My neighbors oldest son is married, they've fostered a number of children and so far have adopted two. One cute little black boy and one adorable little white girl. I know things are different these days but I'm still waiting for the day I hear them tell someone they are brother and sister, since they look so different, just to see the look on their faces. These are wonderful people. We could all learn something from them.

I feel I need to jump in and defend foster parents....I've known a lot of them, they aren't like the one's you are talking about. One couple, after their son grew up and left home took in 5 foster kids, all with various disabilities. Two of them they later adopted. They were well cared for, I babysat for them every Friday night and do you know what they did with that little bit of time away from their kids? They went out to dinner, then shopping for the kids.

My neighbors oldest son is married, they've fostered a number of children and so far have adopted two. One cute little black boy and one adorable little white girl. I know things are different these days but I'm still waiting for the day I hear them tell someone they are brother and sister, since they look so different, just to see the look on their faces. These are wonderful people. We could all learn something from them.

I don't think anyone was saying ALL foster parents are scum. I KNOW I wasn't

Im thinking you should come back as an abortion.

Im thinking you should come back as an abortion.

So then, your against my position in this thread?

Why do you hate poor kids?

Forum List

Back