when you pay for health insurance you pay the the care of others

Someone will always have to pay. Hospitals, Doctors, Medical equipment companies, Pharmaceutical companies, Ambulance services and so on, they all have to make a profit. Currently the people who are uninsured get medical care at the emergency room. That cost is passed on to other insured patients to protect their profit. Their insurance may cover some of it and that is passed on the to all insured people.

the actual cost for the services you noted are inflated, many times enormously because the service is provided by for profit interests.

So in the end it matters not how it is packaged, someone will pay for the uninsured. Of course the uninsured cannot get preventive care and this causes the care they get when a preventable disease or illness to increase, increasing the cost to hospitals. Excellant point Interesting dilemma.

There is no easy button here. We could institute a ban on providing services to the uninsured, of course then you could have rotting bodies on the hospital sidewalks and it would take a Federal law to to do it.

My grandmother passed away at 102. Shortly before her death, she was put in an ambulance and driven from San Mateo Co through San Francisco and into Marin for an X-Ray. The bill to medicare was enormous, over $2,000 dollars. Within one mile of the Assisted Living housing where she was cared for was a major hospital.

Thanks for highlighting the problems with government run healthcare

So you claim its NEVER done to insurance cos?

Do you know why they pay out 80% ?

you dont do you?

YES I do because I've READ their financial reports!
1) % of premiums spent on Claims:
Total Premium % of Premium
in billions - 2009 paid in claims
UnitedHealth Group $81,186 82.30%
WellPoint $61,251 80.60%
Aetna $30,951 76.90%
Humana $28,946 83.20%
Cigna $19,101 82.30%
Health Net $15,367 83.90%

AVERAGE % of Premiums paid in claims: 81.53%!!!
Fortune 500 2009: Industry: Health Care: Insurance and Managed Care

You left out the amount of profit. You also left out the number of policy holders who were denied service or had their policy canceled because the limits were exceeded.

What's wrong with profits?

Argument against insurance companies "I don't want insurance executives making my health care decisions".

Argument for government health care "I want a 22 year old transferred in from the post office making my health care decisions."

argument against insurance companies "i don't want insurance executives making my health care decisions".

Argument for government health care "i want a 22 year old transferred in from the post office making my health care decisions."

lying is not a valid debate point

My grandmother passed away at 102. Shortly before her death, she was put in an ambulance and driven from San Mateo Co through San Francisco and into Marin for an X-Ray. The bill to medicare was enormous, over $2,000 dollars. Within one mile of the Assisted Living housing where she was cared for was a major hospital.

The heavy hand of the government distorts the pricing. No one pays for it so its all free and people can charge whatever the fuck they want. The federal government has unlimited funds to pay for all this (just ask Jilly) so $2,000 is a fucking bargain for a 10 minutes ambulance ride

Why are you so black hearted?

Claims Paid

The total claims paid are the amount of money paid by insurance companies to health care providers and hospitals for medical services received by their members. The table below shows the amount of claims paid by insurance company and how those claims payments compare to the amount of premiums paid to the insurance company. A percentage above 100% means that the company paid more to healthcare providers than they collected in premiums from employers and individuals. On the other hand, a percentage below 100% means that the company paid less to healthcare providers than they collected in premiums. The graph following this table shows the percentage of premiums paid for claims by market segment.

Then in the state of Maine...

Table 4. 2010 Dollar Amount Spent on Claims and Percentage of Premium
Premium claims % of premium
Aetna $193,312,231 $78,658,937 83%
Anthem $823,002,555 $597,704,671 89%
Connecticut
General $113,853,200 $113,714,738 79%
Harvard $158,404,390 $89,807,234 88%
Mega $21,174,549 $2,558,030 70%
Nationwide
Life Ins Co $1,065,174 $1,065,174 36%
United Healthcare $7,781,710 $6,914,692 79%
All Other Insurers $17,247,354 $3,349,668 59%
Total $1,335,841,162 $891,215,114 86%
Note: Small Group and Individual include the DirigoChoice product. This product was sold through Anthem in 2007 and moved to Harvard Pilgrim in 2008.

Financial Results for Health Insurance Companies in Maine : Brochures : Bureau of Insurance

DEAL with FACTS NOT guesses!

Mega $21,174,549 $2,558,030 70%
Nationwide Life Ins Co $1,065,174 $1,065,174 36%

thank you for helping me prove some of these insurance coes were rat bastards who needed a law to make them act decent

And once again idiots like you take the EXCEPTION and make it the RULE!!!

Why do you think Mega had only $21 million in premium???

But of course YOU jump to conclusions make gross hyperbolic conclusions!!!

And Nationwide Life with only $1 million in Premium... OH boy those EVIL evil profit taking people!

YOU totally ignore the FACT that over $2 billion in MAINE paid out average 80%
This is once again a perfect example of people JUMPING to conclusions with ignorance of the FACTS!!!

dear fucking idiot,

all laws are like that.

you make them so the assholes dont get away with fucking people

The heavy hand of the government distorts the pricing. No one pays for it so its all free and people can charge whatever the fuck they want. The federal government has unlimited funds to pay for all this (just ask Jilly) so $2,000 is a fucking bargain for a 10 minutes ambulance ride

blather blather blather,

profit raises the price of everything.

Im not sayin profit is bad that is just a fact.

Why do we have a whole other hand in medicine that provides nothing in a area of care yet pushes the prices up and up and up?

If insurance cos were gone tomarrow and the gov did the cost spreading at cost without profit how much would the cost of healthcare go down?

how are you going to find that level of cost saving otherwise?

if a hospital of ambulance co cheats the goverment we can make it a crime huh?

there should never be a profit associated with the pain and suffering of human beings

So what your saying is no politician should be paid for what he does? I can agree with that.

I dont, however, see how healing people or providing the mechanism whereby people may be healed should disqualify someone from being able to provide for themselves. Quite the opposite. Those who help sustain and protect our health should be compensated for their actions unless they choose to donate of their time and effort.

Why shouldnt someone make a living off providing health care to others? You seem to think that working hard for your neighbors is a bad thing.

tell me who in an insurance company provides hands on healthcare?

they do not need to exsist for people to be provided care

Sure they do. They exist to help people provide medical care for themselves. If they did something else, they wouldnt be in the health insurance industry.

blather blather blather,

profit raises the price of everything.

Im not sayin profit is bad that is just a fact.

Why do we have a whole other hand in medicine that provides nothing in a area of care yet pushes the prices up and up and up?

If insurance cos were gone tomarrow and the gov did the cost spreading at cost without profit how much would the cost of healthcare go down?

how are you going to find that level of cost saving otherwise?

if a hospital of ambulance co cheats the goverment we can make it a crime huh?

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of Free Enterprise

Profits guarantees that companies competing for your business will try to deliver more value to you for your dollar.

Take the case of a 26 year old. On average, they do not consume healthcare, let's say that on average the entire groups of 26 years old will consume $600 in healthcare annually.

An insurance company could profitably write a policy for $50/month (remember they invest the float)

If a company tried to write the policy for $1,100/month they would lose to the cheaper policy.

That's how free enterprise works

Last edited:
they do not need to exsist for people to get care.

that is a fucking fact

Profit does not provide better healthcare.

that is utter bullshit.

the hypocratic oath mentions nothing about insurance cos.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back