When Will Coastal Property Values Crash And Will Climate Science Deniers Be The Only

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
When Will Coastal Property Values Crash And Will Climate Science Deniers Be The Only Buyers?
When Will Coastal Property Values Crash And Will Climate Science Deniers Be The Only Buyers? | ThinkProgress

The latest scientific observations provide strong evidence we are headed toward the high end of sea level projections. And we already knew that devastating storm surges will become routine on the East Coast.

This raises the question: What year will coastal property values crash?

I first posed the question five years ago. Back then we were getting a bunch of studies suggesting sea level rise in 2100 would be 3 to 6 feet. Since then the evidence for that has become even stronger.

Just this month, multiple studies found that both the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS) and Greenland are poised to continue their accelerating ice loss, with WAIS apparently now in a state of irreversible collapse. This in turn has led top climatologists and glaciologist to warn that we are headed toward the high end of sea level rise projections this century and beyond.

What does that mean for coastal property? As a National Geographic article on the subject last year put it:

In a state exposed to hurricanes as well as rising seas, people like John Van Leer, an oceanographer at the University of Miami, worry that one day they will no longer be able to insure — or sell — their houses. “If buyers can’t insure it, they can’t get a mortgage on it. And if they can’t get a mortgage, you can only sell to cash buyers,” Van Leer says. “What I’m looking for is a climate-change denier with a lot of money.”

South Florida will likely be ground zero for the coastal property collapse. As a 2013 Rolling Stone explained, the region suffers from “two big problems.” First, it has “remarkably flat topography. Half the area that surrounds Miami is less than five feet above sea level.” So even with a mere three feet of sea-level rise, “more than a third of southern Florida will vanish; at six feet, more than half will be gone.” In short, half of southern Florida could be gone in a century. Jeff Goodell explained in Rolling Stone:

Even worse, South Florida sits above a vast and porous limestone plateau. “Imagine Swiss cheese, and you’ll have a pretty good idea what the rock under southern Florida looks like,” says Glenn Landers, a senior engineer at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. This means water moves around easily – it seeps into yards at high tide, bubbles up on golf courses, flows through underground caverns, corrodes building foundations from below. “Conventional sea walls and barriers are not effective here,” says Robert Daoust, an ecologist at ARCADIS, a Dutch firm that specializes in engineering solutions to rising seas.

Last edited:
Screw those assholes......people like me wont have to bail them out anymore! Its all good.......when the level rises, I'll be able to get to the ocean sooner on those hot summer days!!!

I'm looking forward to DC being swamped over.

Twould be fittin'.

South Florida will likely be ground zero for the coastal property collapse. As a 2013 Rolling Stone explained, the region suffers from “two big problems.” First, it has “remarkably flat topography. Half the area that surrounds Miami is less than five feet above sea level.” So even with a mere three feet of sea-level rise, “more than a third of southern Florida will vanish; at six feet, more than half will be gone.” In short, half of southern Florida could be gone in a century.
6 feet, and half of southern Florida will be gone in a century?
6 feet that`s 1824 mm and at 3 mm per year that would be 608 years not 1 century.
And don`t they surf on waves that are higher than 3 mm (that`s 1/8 th of an inch) waves at Florida`s beaches?
According to the alarmist any one of these waves should have flooded 1/3rd of Florida.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKouIyzFDQ"]Palm Beach Florida Surf - YouTube[/ame]

Just to show how stupid this notion of sea level rise is when applied globally take a look at this:

BBC News - Great miscalculations: The French railway error and 10 others
Great miscalculations: The French railway error and 10 others

What is sea level? It varies from one place to another, and different countries use different benchmarks. "For example, Britain has measured height in relation to mean sea levels in Cornwall, while France measures height in relation to sea levels in Marseille," says Dr Philip Woodworth, of the National Oceanography Centre Liverpool. Germany, for its part, measures height in relation to the North Sea, while Switzerland, like France, opts for the Mediterranean Sea. This caused a problem in Laufenburg, a town that straddles Germany and Switzerland. As two halves of a new bridge grew closer to one another in 2003, it became clear that, instead of being at the same height "above sea level", one side was 54cm higher than the other. Builders knew that there was a 27cm difference between the two versions of sea level - but somehow it was doubled, rather than cancelled out. The German side reportedly had to be lowered before the bridge could be completed.
Some might say that NASA does not make mistakes as stupid as that, but they do,...same URL and the dumbest mistake of them all, ranking as #1 in the top 10 list:
1. The Mars Climate Orbiter

Designed to orbit Mars as the first interplanetary weather satellite, the Mars Orbiter was lost in 1999 because the Nasa team used imperial units while a contractor used metric. The $125m probe came too close to Mars as it tried to manoeuvre into orbit, and is thought to have been destroyed by the planet's atmosphere. An investigation said the "root cause" of the loss was the "failed translation of English units into metric units" in a piece of ground software.
How does that grab you?...and all the while climate occult members laugh at us if we dare to question what these "experts" are doing.
Botching that 125 million dollar Mars climate study satellite is about as funny as when the "climate scientists" got stuck in the ice they said is "melting at an alarming rate"

Last edited:
Are we going to lose blue voting counties or red voting counties ? Might as well cut to the chase.

We lose New York and California then the Democrats never win the WH again..

I need to get out of NY though.

Maybe this can work if we only lose California.

Screw those assholes......people like me wont have to bail them out anymore! Its all good.......when the level rises, I'll be able to get to the ocean sooner on those hot summer days!!!

That doesn't mean it won't cost you money.

And what, precisely, do you mean by "those assholes"? There are two and a half million people living in Miami-Dade County. Why do you think they are all assholes?

South Florida will likely be ground zero for the coastal property collapse. As a 2013 Rolling Stone explained, the region suffers from “two big problems.” First, it has “remarkably flat topography. Half the area that surrounds Miami is less than five feet above sea level.” So even with a mere three feet of sea-level rise, “more than a third of southern Florida will vanish; at six feet, more than half will be gone.” In short, half of southern Florida could be gone in a century.
6 feet, and half of southern Florida will be gone in a century?
6 feet that`s 1824 mm and at 3 mm per year that would be 608 years not 1 century.
And don`t they surf on waves that are higher than 3 mm (that`s 1/8 th of an inch) waves at Florida`s beaches?
According to the alarmist any one of these waves should have flooded 1/3rd of Florida.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKouIyzFDQ"]Palm Beach Florida Surf - YouTube[/ame]

Just to show how stupid this notion of sea level rise is when applied globally take a look at this:

BBC News - Great miscalculations: The French railway error and 10 others
Great miscalculations: The French railway error and 10 others

What is sea level? It varies from one place to another, and different countries use different benchmarks. "For example, Britain has measured height in relation to mean sea levels in Cornwall, while France measures height in relation to sea levels in Marseille," says Dr Philip Woodworth, of the National Oceanography Centre Liverpool. Germany, for its part, measures height in relation to the North Sea, while Switzerland, like France, opts for the Mediterranean Sea. This caused a problem in Laufenburg, a town that straddles Germany and Switzerland. As two halves of a new bridge grew closer to one another in 2003, it became clear that, instead of being at the same height "above sea level", one side was 54cm higher than the other. Builders knew that there was a 27cm difference between the two versions of sea level - but somehow it was doubled, rather than cancelled out. The German side reportedly had to be lowered before the bridge could be completed.
Some might say that NASA does not make mistakes as stupid as that, but they do,...same URL and the dumbest mistake of them all, ranking as #1 in the top 10 list:
1. The Mars Climate Orbiter

Designed to orbit Mars as the first interplanetary weather satellite, the Mars Orbiter was lost in 1999 because the Nasa team used imperial units while a contractor used metric. The $125m probe came too close to Mars as it tried to manoeuvre into orbit, and is thought to have been destroyed by the planet's atmosphere. An investigation said the "root cause" of the loss was the "failed translation of English units into metric units" in a piece of ground software.
How does that grab you?...and all the while climate occult members laugh at us if we dare to question what these "experts" are doing.
Botching that 125 million dollar Mars climate study satellite is about as funny as when the "climate scientists" got stuck in the ice they said is "melting at an alarming rate"

So, can we hold you personally responsible for the safety of our coastal Florida property in the face of a 3 foot rise in sea level?

So, can we hold you personally responsible for the safety of our coastal Florida property in the face of a 3 foot rise in sea level?

How would you know what the US coastline looks like in over 400 years from now?
....or if there is still such a thing as private property in Florida or anywhere else in the U.S. by then ?
(Down below I`ll tell you why I highlighted "our" and "property" red.)

Considering that the National debt is already over $ 17 trillion
and climbing by 2.4% per year.
Compare that threat with 3 mm per year, Here is what a mm looks like:
3616.jpg

And how would you know if the sea level is rising 3 mm per year?
From there?
Current sea level rise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Between 1870 and 2004, global average sea levels rose a total of 195 mm (7.7 in), and 1.46 mm (0.057 in) per year.[5] From 1950 to 2009, measurements show an average annual rise in sea level of 1.7 ± 0.3 mm per year, with satellite data showing a rise of 3.3 ± 0.4 mm per year from 1993 to 2009,[6] a faster rate of increase than previously estimated.[7] It is unclear whether the increased rate reflects an increase in the underlying long-term trend.[8]
As usual the "skepticalscience.org" freaks like you prefer the number which is twice as high and present is as "settled science" by dropping the word "estimated" along with it is unclear whether this represents a trend...

And [8] is referenced to:
IPCC AR4, Synthesis Report, Section 1.1: Observations of climate change

But also to
NOAA Climate Services.
Let`s see what they got for Florida:

Sea Level Trends - NOAA Tides & Currents

If you "mouse-over" Naples it`s 2.02 mm not 3 mm per year, which means that it would take 457 years till the sea level is up by 3 feet at that location and Miami Beach is 2.39 mm

That`s hardly a "threat" considering that tidal variations range from .2 to 10 meters...which is over 32 feet or 10 times more than what your AGW sea level is supposed to be in over 400 years.
You can also get a 4 foot rise in level in less than 1 single day just with a drop in atmospheric pressure.

So tell me again why I should be " personally responsible for the safety of "our coastal Florida property" in the face of a 3 foot rise in sea level" if I don`t subscribe to the kind of crap idiots like you keep posting here every f***ing day

"our coastal property"...interesting choice of words ! Do you own any property there or do communist swines like you already consider it as such?
I bet property owners in Florida rather burn it down or have it flooded before commie bastards like you usurp title to it

Last edited:
Because you've claimed up and down that we face no risk. I ask if you are willing to put your money where your mouth is? Your prior postings did not concentrate on 3 mm, they concentrated on how trivial was three feet.

Because you've claimed up and down that we face no risk. I ask if you are willing to put your money where your mouth is? Your prior postings did not concentrate on 3 mm, they concentrated on how trivial was three feet.
It did, but you were too dumb to get it. Besides that the 3 mm don`t apply to Florida which is ~ 1 mm below the global average, whatever nonsense that represents.
And what has my money to do with any of that?
If the CO2 I am personally responsible for had anything at all to do with it then send me a bill for my share of it, what the number of square nanometers Florida coastal real estate I caused to be flooded is worth.
On the other hand are you putting your money where your loud mouth is ?...when the time comes to refund the $122.8 billion the US has blown directly on this ruse....and the real cost when you include the cost to the economy which was ~ $ 1.8 Trillion so far

Last edited:

Forum List

Back