When the Collapse Comes...

You bring up Katrina. I don't know if you've ever paid any attention to my mentor Dave Ramsey or not but when he talks about investments and these cretins trying to sell you gold and silver, he always points out Katrina.

Gold didn't become the currency of New Orleans during that micro-collapse. Water became almost as precious FWIW

And ammo will bring twice that. An excellent trading item

-Geaux

Wouldn't give you a nickel for $10 worth of ammo.

A) Ammo is only necessary when you plan to shoot someone
B) Planning to shoot someone will have the problematic side effect of drawing return fire.
C) The preppers will always be outnumbered by those who didn't prep

Yes we will. But those who didn't prepare will have to get into my home. I don't have to get into theirs. They are in the open, while I am not. They are starving and need to have something now. I can wait.

hey Candy !! So what if they are elected or appointed Candy. Point is that steps are taken to ensure survival and continuance of government at taxpayer expense no matter the government , are these government people special ??
In fact, yes they are. Continuation of government is the first priority as it should be.

Next question?

As a private commoner [like me] why should I not try to insure my survival for myself and my family. By the way , i'm not arguing that government men and people need to be abandoned . Just saying that gov recognizes that survival plans are needed for continuance .

I never said you shouldn't try to insure your own survival. By regulation by my employer, I have a "go bag" in my trunk at all times. The only time it's not in my trunk is when it is in my office for inspection/updating. I'm the Logistics Section Chief for our internal Incident Command System. I go over and above what is required because I think it's wise to have items that are not included in the list; such as cash, books, crossword puzzles, Leatherman tool, mirrors, a couple of MREs. We're told to be ready for a 72 hour deployment without the authorities having to worry about us. I've looked at the response plan and the annexes specifically state that during a public health crisis, the provider hospitals, clinics, and other entities will not be accommodated up to 72 hours into the crisis. I can't imagine one taking place for that long but I have everything except water in my bag for 3 days. Water is supposed to be at the command posts.

My point is that there is a difference between being prepared to ensure/endure hardship and being prepared to ensure/endure hardship while telling your neighbors to go "fuck themselves" for not being as vigilant as you were.

If it is a natural disaster and we only have to hold out for a couple of weeks, I have no problem sharing. If the collapse is more serious, I will be more selfish in order to provide for my family.

Consider a prepper like someone who donates to charities. If times are good and youhave money, donate up a storm. If you are having trouble feeding your family and paying the bills, you give less (or none).

Saw this yesterday:

When the collapse comes, God Willing, I will be ready. And when yhou knock on my door for help , the answer is 'Go fuck yourself'

I'm just curious; you preppers out there who insist the world is coming to an end and are arming yourself to wart off the hordes of people coming for you Cocoa Puffs...are you going to tell your neighbor "Go fuck yourself" if they knock on your door?

No, because I will probably enlist him in the group which is telling the hoards from the city to go fuck themselves.

hey Candy !! So what if they are elected or appointed Candy. Point is that steps are taken to ensure survival and continuance of government at taxpayer expense no matter the government , are these government people special ??
In fact, yes they are. Continuation of government is the first priority as it should be.

Next question?

As a private commoner [like me] why should I not try to insure my survival for myself and my family. By the way , i'm not arguing that government men and people need to be abandoned . Just saying that gov recognizes that survival plans are needed for continuance .

I never said you shouldn't try to insure your own survival. By regulation by my employer, I have a "go bag" in my trunk at all times. The only time it's not in my trunk is when it is in my office for inspection/updating. I'm the Logistics Section Chief for our internal Incident Command System. I go over and above what is required because I think it's wise to have items that are not included in the list; such as cash, books, crossword puzzles, Leatherman tool, mirrors, a couple of MREs. We're told to be ready for a 72 hour deployment without the authorities having to worry about us. I've looked at the response plan and the annexes specifically state that during a public health crisis, the provider hospitals, clinics, and other entities will not be accommodated up to 72 hours into the crisis. I can't imagine one taking place for that long but I have everything except water in my bag for 3 days. Water is supposed to be at the command posts.

My point is that there is a difference between being prepared to ensure/endure hardship and being prepared to ensure/endure hardship while telling your neighbors to go "fuck themselves" for not being as vigilant as you were.

If it is a natural disaster and we only have to hold out for a couple of weeks, I have no problem sharing. If the collapse is more serious, I will be more selfish in order to provide for my family.

Consider a prepper like someone who donates to charities. If times are good and youhave money, donate up a storm. If you are having trouble feeding your family and paying the bills, you give less (or none).

That is a logical position.

And ammo will bring twice that. An excellent trading item

-Geaux

B) Planning to shoot someone will have the problematic side effect of drawing return fire.

Yes we will. But those who didn't prepare will have to get into my home. I don't have to get into theirs. They are in the open, while I am not. They are starving and need to have something now. I can wait.

So now you're shooting at people who are hungry....

A couple of well placed matches and the bullets you've stockpiled become a liability.

So now you're shooting at people who are hungry....

A couple of well placed matches and the bullets you've stockpiled become a liability.

If the societal collapse is such that it will be a long time before we have rebuilt, those people are trying to steal the food I have stockpiled for my loved ones.

I store my ammunition very carefully, just like I do my firearms.

Saw this yesterday:

I'm just curious; you preppers out there who insist the world is coming to an end and are arming yourself to wart off the hordes of people coming for you Cocoa Puffs...are you going to tell your neighbor "Go fuck yourself" if they knock on your door?

There are a lot of people out there who think the world/civilization is going to come to an end any day now. It's an outward projection of their own feelings of depression.

They come in different flavors. You got your Jesus Second Coming types, you got your Planet X types, and you got your Second American Civil War types.

The one thing they all have in common is that they are actually looking forward to the great suffering that would take place. They can't wait!

When one of them says, "And when you knock on my door for help , the answer is 'Go fuck yourself'", they are living out the fantasy of Genesis 21-22. They see themselves as Noah, refusing entry to the neighbors who had laughed and jeered at him. They gleefully look forward to the day when they can watch everyone else die as they watch from some imaginary summit or safe refuge. It is a critical part of their fantasy they be able to observe the suffering of others. The end of the world won't be any fun if they don't get to watch everyone else writing in pain and screaming out "YOU WERE RIGHT! WE'RE SORReeeeeeeeeeeee...glub-glub-glub"

We're talking about really sick puppies here.

oh brother, that is YOUR opinion only..how they feel and what they do isn't taking any skin off any of your butts

so you would put the Globull warmers as the same as preppers?

Last edited:
PREPPERS should just keep preparing as they have been doing for years Candy . Some people already have some insurance because of their line of work that taxpayers pay for but the common independent people should just do the best that they can . Like in Katrina where the responsible either got out of New Orleans or kept their privacy and goods in nicely prepared homes . And as I've said , the prepared don't go running to empty grocery stores after an earthquake in socal and the prepared don't sweat in sports stadiums as the unprepared did in New Orleans . Yep , the people that have prepared already have their stuff .

Not sure how you'd be able to hide it;

Depending on what hysterical nutjob you listen to..

Gas maybe $20 a gallon. Yet you're still driving your SUV around. Seems obvious that you've prepped.

The critical infrastructure could be attacked wiping out electric and communication lines. Yet your house is illuminated at night. Seems obvious that you've prepped.

Unless you're just going to hunker down and never leave it seems as though the cat will be out of the bag.

Even if you have prepared, the key is being discreet. I have about 6 months worth but I'm not a prepper...just prepared to help out the family and someone who may be in need.

This is the entire reason I live in the sticks. I've put away 1,000 of gallons of gasoline, I have fresh spring water, cattle, pigs, chickens and a 2 acre truck farm for vegetables. I have a forest full of firewood and I have 2 generators. I have a secure security system that gives me ample warning of trespassers.

I'm no "prepper" either. However, the man that doesn't have enough sense to see what is coming down the pike, and prepare for the inevitable, doesn't deserve to live - he deserves to be a "victim". Should I die of old age before hit happens (and at 70, that is a distinct possibility) my kids know to come here.

Here's the point. This country is on the slow-burn for trouble. It IS coming. and it IS coming soon. No paranoia here - just common sense.

Says the dude who compares American liberals to Nazi's. Excuse the fuck out of me, but if those "beliefs" represent your common sense, I think you lack the "sense" part. Common you are. At least common among whacked out right wingers.

I grew up with preparing Candy . First off because of my parents that always had extra food in the basement and they also had lots of dry maple and oak in the wood shed . Also because of my Boy Scout training and because of my reading of BOYS LIFE in the school library in the late 50s and early 60s . My Dad had his 80 year old 12 gauge in the house and the fireplace and woodstoves flue was cleaned once a year . My parents didn't call what they did as prepping , they just called what they did as common sense . We had blizzards in the U.P. and the roads might not be plowed for a few days or a week so we'd be stuck in the house . If the electricity went out that means that the boiler [heater] would not operate so you needed the wood stove and the fireplace and the dry firewood . No electricity meant no lighting , no pumped water , no electric kitchen range so we used the wood stove or fireplace for cooking , heating and we used kerosene lamps and candles for lighting . We lived rural and were living around like minded people so in a catastrophe we would have had little to worry about . Still , my Dad was prepared and kept his 12 gauge in the closet with a box of buck shot .

Last edited:
Seems pretty silly to stockpile or have a go bag without weapons. You're just going to have to surrender it to the first armed person that demands it.

Missing draws return fire; not planning.

Skills, not things, are what is needed for survival. I can make the arrows and/or bow
needed to take game or for protection.

Maybe , MAYBE has a gobag and a taxpayer provided / taxpayer paid bodyguard , who knows !!

I think that GLOBAL [globull] warming people like [algore and minions] are a different type when compared to people that want to practice personal preparation . The Global warming people want to FORCE their agenda on private people while the preppers are private people that want to do preparation for their personal well being and they'll do that preparation at their own personal expense .

Could happen Ddoc , think that'd be whats called ironic but funny !!

Seems pretty silly to stockpile or have a go bag without weapons. You're just going to have to surrender it to the first armed person that demands it.

Missing draws return fire; not planning.

Skills, not things, are what is needed for survival. I can make the arrows and/or bow
needed to take game or for protection.

That's a good point...skills are superior to things. Give/Teach a man to fish....

Hoping for/cheering the onset of a breakdown in society as some form of validation, however, is just sick.

I think that the most important thing is to try to be debt free same as Dave Ramsey thinks Candy . Debt free and healthy with a good family , a few friends and some food , water , warm clothing in the house.

i'm for being prepared Candy , certainly not cheering for a breakdown in society although some people think that society is already breaking down or has broken down .

Forum List

Back