When did it become a crime to be successful?

Well, at least you didn't try to deny my point. Good, that would have been silly.

And who, precisely, do you mean by "you guys"? Do you think I'm a conservative or a Republican, something like that?

Wanna try again?
Well, I have very limited interest in trying to remember the nuances of every poster's individual political leanings. Frankly, the difference in my mind between conservative and libertarian is vanishingly small when it comes down to it. What I HAVE seen is the general sentiments that you've expressed being listed time and time again. Maybe there's some talking point factory that everyone of your ilk subscribes to. They all fit on bumper stickers which appears to be of prime importance. Out of curiosity, what do you consider yourself?
I'm just an independent.

And again, it's good to see you not trying to deny my points.
I've denied them all wholesale by denying the underlying assumption that these criticisms are based on envy.
Of course.

:laugh:

The first quote, of course, came directly from Obama. The rest have all been said in multiple ways.

But you keep denying, I know how the game is played.
What would you do if you had to take statements in context? Your head would probably explode because that thought would no longer fit on a bumper sticker.

And apparently, your culture says that if anyone has a problem with these scumbags, it must be envy. Don't you guys ever get tired of defending the indefensible?
Well, at least you didn't try to deny my point. Good, that would have been silly.

And who, precisely, do you mean by "you guys"? Do you think I'm a conservative or a Republican, something like that?

Wanna try again?
Well, I have very limited interest in trying to remember the nuances of every poster's individual political leanings. Frankly, the difference in my mind between conservative and libertarian is vanishingly small when it comes down to it. What I HAVE seen is the general sentiments that you've expressed being listed time and time again. Maybe there's some talking point factory that everyone of your ilk subscribes to. They all fit on bumper stickers which appears to be of prime importance. Out of curiosity, what do you consider yourself?
I'm just an independent.

I've denied them all wholesale by denying the underlying assumption that these criticisms are based on envy.
Not really. Envy really is not the base of these criticisms - it is the loss of personal responsibility or individualism.

Every single one of these is a shift from individual accomplishment or loss to something else.

Who has a smartphone? A computer? An automobile? A snowblower? A gas or electric lawnmower? Cable or satellite TV? Washing machine? Clothes dryer? Microwave?

None of these things are NECESSARY, not a one of them, and yet you own them, because you WANTED them. You paid for them, now are mad you made the people or corporations rich that you purchased them from..............and NOW demand part of that money back! How about you return the stuff too!

And apparently, your culture says that if anyone has a problem with these scumbags, it must be envy. Don't you guys ever get tired of defending the indefensible?

Wanna try again?
I'm just an independent.

Not really. Envy really is not the base of these criticisms - it is the loss of personal responsibility or individualism.

Every single one of these is a shift from individual accomplishment or loss to something else.
Yep. Sadly, Democrats haven't always been that way.

Except most billionaires are democrats. Fail.

Political-Affiliations-Infographic.jpg

That puts to rest the notion that liberals love to repeat endlessly: Republicans are stupid.

I'm thinking that line of thinking started on a serious basis back in the '60s when the radical youth spit in the faces of their parents ... and they've been on a rampage ever since.

I'm just an independent.

Of course.

The first quote, of course, came directly from Obama. The rest have all been said in multiple ways.

What would you do if you had to take statements in context? Your head would probably explode because that thought would no longer fit on a bumper sticker.
You folks always have to make stuff personal when you get pissy.

:itsok:
I'm getting personal? You're the one accusing me of agreeing with all of your bumper sticker wisdom.

Wanna try again?
I'm just an independent.

Ok, let's go down that road a little. Are you one of the people who believe that there's no such thing as society - only individuals and families?

The first quote, of course, came directly from Obama.

Yeah right. Except he said a lot more that that! Why not quote what he said just a few sentences later?

"we succeed because of our individual initiative"

Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia

If you think that governmental powers were not controlled by the wealthy before citizens united then I have bridge over here that is on prime real estate.

Don't need to "sell me a bridge"....Take it up with the 2braincells poster who brought it up in the first place and is among your ilk of ultra conservative nitwits.

So how are the "rich" hurting society?
First of all, it is retarded to lump all the wealthy together as a monolithic entity called "the rich".

I don't begrudge the guy who got filthy rich from inventing a better mouse trap. In fact, I want to encourage a society which produces such people. As many as possible. We need to educate our kids for the jobs of tomorrow and to keep our innovative edge.

But there is another kind of wealth. The wealth that is acquired at the expense of others. Wealth that is concentrated into a few hands by legislatively tilting the playing field to give an unfair advantage to a chosen few. I have provided many examples of this kind of evil on this forum.

It is this kind of unAmerican manipulation which is destroying our economy. Unfortunately, the rubes on the Left blame all of "the rich" for the problem, while the rubes on the Right deny the problem even exists.

The Left wants to "tax the rich a little bit more", with definite overtones of this being a punitive measure just for being rich. However, this is like taxing everyone who lives in a bigger house than you more money to compensate for all the robberies taking place in the neighborhood, and redistributing it to the victims of the theft. Except EVERONE is being robbed, and this in no way will stop the robberies. If anything, it encourages robbery.

The Right wants to put their hands over their eyes and ears while the thief comes into their house, and then pretend they never had a TV with a surround sound system in the first place.

I'm just an independent.

Of course.

Wanna try again?
I'm just an independent.

Who has a smartphone? A computer? An automobile? A snowblower? A gas or electric lawnmower? Cable or satellite TV? Washing machine? Clothes dryer? Microwave?

None of these things are NECESSARY, not a one of them, and yet you own them, because you WANTED them. You paid for them, now are mad you made the people or corporations rich that you purchased them from..............and NOW demand part of that money back! How about you return the stuff too!
I work in one of the corporations that's getting rich. It's getting rich because people like me and the 10 or 15 other people in my design group have created products that have generated about a half billion dollars in revenue. Unfortunately, the guys at the top decided that they were much more worthy of the vast majority of that money than we are.

We live in an infinite universe, so our limitations on resources are self imposed.

All it comes down to are the rich and powerful trying to exert power over the current natural resources currently in their grasp. It's just a thing called greed

And while the left pretends that greed is confined to the private sector, they ignore the fact that government makes the rules that allow some to take advantage of others. Politicians become wealthy while in office. It's because there is no line between Washington and Wall Street. We have a revolving door where people are able to be in Washington to influence laws, then head back to Wall Street to take advantage.

I get so sick of hearing liberals claim they are going after the wealthy when it's just talk to please their voters. They have to paint the wealthy as evil so people will cheer when they claim they are going after them.

While some people will always be greedy assholes, they are doing things in accordance with the laws congress wrote and passed. That means politicians want it that way.

While some people will always be greedy assholes, they are doing things in accordance with the laws congress wrote and passed. That means politicians want it that way.

So, the wealthy pay off politicians to pass laws that benefit....guess who???......the wealthy.
That stated, help me out here, between the wealthy and the politicians, who should we label "pimps" and who should we label "whores"?

Oh, and one more thing.......

Three years ago when Mitt Romney revealed his tax records, they showed that he paid 14.1% on his income (which I'm sure was quite a bit of both income and taxes paid)......Whereas poor little me and my family, paid on our income 25.3%....Now, I am sure that Romney's accountants strictly followed the law (as I did), BUT the "injustice" of those laws is what pisses me off as it must a lot of other middle class citizens.

I was watching the first episode of a new Showtime series called 'Billions' last night. It's the story of the sole survivor of a financial firm that was decimated in the 9/11 attacks and now he's become a billionaire asshole. He had used his fuck you money to basically say fuck you to the people of New York and they were pissed. Sure enough, he pulled out that tired old conservative saw "When did it become a crime to be successful?"

I think I know when. It's when America's primary industry became finance - an industry that produces basically nothing. So while the rest of us are busy trying to invent/produce/sell something of real value, these guys divert the profits into their own hands and produce nothing in return.

On February 3rd, 1913

that is the day the so called Sixteenth Amendment became effective supposedly imposing a heavy graduated income tax as suggested by the Communist Manifesto

I'm just an independent.

Of course.

You folks always have to make stuff personal when you get pissy.

:itsok:
I'm getting personal? You're the one accusing me of agreeing with all of your bumper sticker wisdom.
I have no idea what that means.

"Bumper sticker wisdom" is a partisan thing, not for me.

"bumper sticker", "head would probably explode", etc. I'll leave that stuff to you and "your ilk".

And if you think Obama's comments were based on envy, well, that's your call.

I was watching the first episode of a new Showtime series called 'Billions' last night. It's the story of the sole survivor of a financial firm that was decimated in the 9/11 attacks and now he's become a billionaire asshole. He had used his fuck you money to basically say fuck you to the people of New York and they were pissed. Sure enough, he pulled out that tired old conservative saw "When did it become a crime to be successful?"

I think I know when. It's when America's primary industry became finance - an industry that produces basically nothing. So while the rest of us are busy trying to invent/produce/sell something of real value, these guys divert the profits into their own hands and produce nothing in return.

I don't know where people get the idea that people do things for others. I suppose if the world was to be run by charity then it is plausible that such a system can work but anytime you tried to get anyone to do something for someone else for free or against their will the government has to use force. Just use slavery as an example. Their wasn't one black person who wanted to work against their will so the slave owners had to use whips to keep them in line. I kind of like to not use force to compel people to do things but since we are buyin g health insurance then it is common place. The government should force everyone else to give me things. What an incredible thing to be me.

Wanna try again?
I'm just an independent.

Ok, let's go down that road a little. Are you one of the people who believe that there's no such thing as society - only individuals and families?
Nope.

Society obviously exists. What is your point?

If you think that governmental powers were not controlled by the wealthy before citizens united then I have bridge over here that is on prime real estate.

Don't need to "sell me a bridge"....Take it up with the 2braincells poster who brought it up in the first place and is among your ilk of ultra conservative nitwits.
I really don't see the point in taking YOUR comments up with another poster.

Forum List

Back