What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

The 'Flag' is in and of it's self an inanimate object. It is what the flag stands for that matters, not what it physically is.

One of the things that the Flag stands for is Freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

But the flag stands for so much more - it symbolizes for our governement, it symbolizes our people, our culture, our history, the patriotic sacrifices of our soldiers...the list is practically infinite.

But it is clear that anyone who burns the flag as a symbol of hatred for this country (as opposed to American soldier burning the flag to prevent it's capture) is clearly doing so as an expression of hatred for EVERYTHING THAT THE FLAG SYMBOLIZES.

In RESPECT TO THE FLAG AND EVERYTHING THAT IT STANDS FOR, especially the freedoms of speech and expression, we should not under any circumstances punish people who burn the flag with criminal prosecution.

In fact what we should do is respect the message that they are sending by burning the flag - an absolute statement of hatred for America and everything American.

We should revoke the citizenship of any American citizen that burns the flag, revoke the visa of any non-American that burns the flag and kick them out of the country permanently.

That would seem to be what they want if they hate us so much.

Last edited:
I would not personally burn a flag. However I do not worship symbols like flags either.

I do feel that all the outrage about flag burning is makiing much more of it than it really is.

Now Burning Rove at the stake.... hmmm

Calling flag burning free speech makes as much sense as me talking to you by peeing on your head. I know what I said, but your going to be confused and mad. Still free speech?

wow, just when you thought you've heard the dumbest arguments ever, this one comes across.

Peeing on someone is assault. Burning a flag doesn't harm anybody else. You can't possibly be that dumb to think what you put forth was a good argument

getting peed on doesn't hurt either.. you ever pee on your finger?? you pee acid??? what a wussy.

what if you ingest it? what if it goes in an open wound? not to mention it invades the privacy and rights of another person, neither of which burning a flag does

The 'Flag' is in and of it's self an inanimate object. It is what the flag stands for that matters, not what it physically is.

One of the things that the Flag stands for is Freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

But the flag stands for so much more - it symbolizes for our governement, it symbolizes our people, our culture, our history, the patriotic sacrifices of our soldiers...the list is practically infinite.

But it is clear that anyone who burns the flag as a symbol of hatred for this country (as opposed to American soldier burning the flag to prevent it's capture) is clearly doing so as an expression of hatred for EVERYTHING THAT THE FLAG SYMBOLIZES.

In RESPECT TO THE FLAG AND EVERYTHING THAT IT STANDS FOR, especially the freedoms of speech and expression, we should not under any circumstances punish people who burn the flag with criminal prosecution.

In fact what we should do is respect the message that they are sending by burning the flag - an absolute statement of hatred for America and everything American.

We should revoke the citizenship of any American citizen that burns the flag, revoke the visa of any non-American that burns the flag and kick them out of the country permanently.

That would seem to be what they want if they hate us so much.
You had me at the very beginning, but then you went off the deep end at the end.

They don't hate America and everything it stands for.

Just add ONE word and you're be correct. That word is "currently."

They hate everything America stands for currently. And they want to send that message.

They don't hate the country...just its actions at the time.

"Most" liberals neither burn flags nor project their own small mindedness on the people who choose that form of expression. To find out why any person chooses to burn a flag, you'd have to ask them. I'm pretty sure you'd get a wide range of answers.

The whole point is, banning a form of speech just because it is "offensive" is an open invitation to majority rule over all speech. That means it is no longer free, and dissent by definition will no longer be tolerated. That is not what that flag stands for. While I personally find it distasteful, it is far better to see the piece of cloth desecrated than to see what it represents destroyed.

Calling flag burning free speech makes as much sense as me talking to you by peeing on your head. I know what I said, but your going to be confused and mad. Still free speech?

You saying it? Absolutely.

You deliberately dousing me with bodily fluids probably filled with all kinds of nasty infectious diseases? No, that's called assault.

Our sensibiities can be offended, our persons are inviolate.

To answer my own question...I don't got offended at all when I see them burning an American flag. I actually sometimes find it funny, because I think..."boy are they mad." Seeing people extremely mad and not engaged in violence often makes me chuckle...for whatever reason.

I don't see myself ever burning a flag, as its not Christlike, but politically I have no objections to it and I find it to be a rather good and constructive statement to make, especially considering that this country stands for freedom.

Freedom. What a loaded and abstract word. Freedom means different things to different people. Also, nothing is truly free in the real world, because the world is based on rules...from the rules of nature, to the rules of society, to the rules of law an everything in-between.

That's my position on the matter.

wow, just when you thought you've heard the dumbest arguments ever, this one comes across.

Peeing on someone is assault. Burning a flag doesn't harm anybody else. You can't possibly be that dumb to think what you put forth was a good argument

getting peed on doesn't hurt either.. you ever pee on your finger?? you pee acid??? what a wussy.

what if you ingest it? what if it goes in an open wound? not to mention it invades the privacy and rights of another person, neither of which burning a flag does

pee comes out of your bladder sterile.. you can drink it.

To answer my own question...I don't got offended at all when I see them burning an American flag. I actually sometimes find it funny, because I think..."boy are they mad." Seeing people extremely mad and not engaged in violence often makes me chuckle...for whatever reason.

I don't see myself ever burning a flag, as its not Christlike, but politically I have no objections to it and I find it to be a rather good and constructive statement to make, especially considering that this country stands for freedom.

Freedom. What a loaded and abstract word. Freedom means different things to different people. Also, nothing is truly free in the real world, because the world is based on rules...from the rules of nature, to the rules of society, to the rules of law an everything in-between.

That's my position on the matter.

Hmm.. Somebody burns the flag and you don't get offended? Your quite the Patriot.

Find it funny? what the hell? :cuckoo:

My View: If i see the American Flag burning, i would get offended, i wouldn't find it funny at all, but i can't do anything about it, it's protected by the Constitution..

Hmm.. Somebody burns the flag and you don't get offended? Your quite the Patriot.

My View: If i see the American Flag burning, i would get offended, i wouldn't find it funny at all, but i can't do anything about it, it's protected by the Constitution..

Patriotism is overated....

pee comes out of your bladder sterile.. you can drink it.

its not completely sterile as much undigestable/unusable stuff is passed out in it. depending on what you ate and drank leading up to drinking the pee you could be very sick after only drinking a mouthful. there are surivival methods, shown on numerous discovery channels type shows, on how to use just the sun and a hole in the ground to completely sterilize pee to make it safe for unlimited drinking

fake patriotism, like caring if a meaningless symbol is burned or if someone wears a chinese made pin of said symbol, is overrated and stupid

Overated? how so?

"My country's better than your country"
In order to be patriotic you have to slam some other country or people. I've found most American patriots to be jingoistic, arrogant, elitist and repugnant. Note, I say most....not all...

Overated? how so?

"My country's better than your country"
In order to be patriotic you have to slam some other country or people. I've found most American patriots to be jingoistic, arrogant, elitist and repugnant. Note, I say most....not all...

So not true.

I have 3 Nationalities. Spanish, Dutch and American.

I don't look down on other countries, i don't "Slam" them or tell them my country is better than theirs..

That's idiotic..

I actually respect many countries.. Of course, if they have wronged one of my Countries or Countries Allies i will look down upon that country.. Mostly it's Government than it's people.

--

Although, I do admit some people do that, and it's sad, so I'm sorry for whoever made you think that way.

Last edited:
So not true.

I have 3 Nationalities. Spanish, Dutch and American.

I don't look down on other countries, i don't "Slam" them or tell them my country is better than theirs..

That's idiotic..

I actually respect many countries, that haven't made me think the other way.

--

Although, I do admit some people do that, and it's sad, so I'm sorry for whoever made you think that way.

That must mean you make an excellent paella, have great beer and can make mouthwatering hotdogs and hamburgers!

Forum List

Back