What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

I don't understand the act of burning the flag. Why do it? What statement is one trying to make by doing it?

The statement would be is that they don't love their country.

Again, I ask the question...Why do it? It doesn't change anything. It doesn't make that person hate their country less. It doesn't show any kind of character other than one's stellar ability to wield a lighter and destroy a piece of fabric. It's apparently just garbage to them. So...why do it?

I'll tell you why...because the people who do it WANT attention. And the more negative attention they get, the better it is for them. They want you to feel the hate that they feel. Even if it is directed toward them instead of the country that they abhore. The person who burns the flag of the country that they live in is only interested in themselves and they want everyone around them to notice them and acknowledge how pathetic and angry they are.

THis act is far more destructive than all those "words" Mr. Clinton spoke of a few days ago. It's that kind of anger towards your homeland that fuels the anger of the McVeigh's of the world.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
I don't think that RWers and LWers view it the same at all.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

Actually burning the flag is perfectly acceptable, and is the way you are supposed to dispose of it after it becomes tattered, soiled and ill fit to be displayed. I had to burn my old one a couple of years ago as it was tattered and sunbleached. whats the problem? here is a link CaptainMica.com - U.S. Flag Rules and Customs

I just thought of something, if flag burning becomes illegal, and has an exception for disposing the flag, I betcha people will bring tattered and faded flags to burn in their protests especially against the flag burning ban.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

As a conservative, who leans libertarian, I think this issue has more to do with property than with freedom of speech. I believe that a form of expression must be protected under the first amendment, whether we agree with the individual or not.

It is illegal to destroy U.S. currency. This is because of the fact that it is considered government property. Is destroying something that I own, in the form of free speech, the same as destroying something that my neighbor owns? No. Personally, I would never destroy the American flag. However, if I chose to do so and I purchased one myself, then it is my property to do with as I please. But, If I choose to protest my country by burning my neigbors flag, then I have destroyed someone elses property. Just because we refer to it as "the" American flag, doesn't mean there is only one in which we all share equal ownership.

geesh you would never burn your US flag? I would never fly a tattered flag I would burn it see custums on my previous post. I suspect that most people answering either never fly their flags at their homes or do not own a flag. For me people not even owning a flag is troublesome, But I guess it is better then people flying tattered and worn flags that do it diservice and improperly displayed ie wearing a flag shirt, bikini or whatever apparel and think they are being patriotic.

I assume you are talking about the stars and stripes, the venerated flag of the U.S. As a fellow who was a righty and is now much more libertarian here are my view(s) on this subject. They apply to a number of other subjects as well.

There are 50 state legislatures out there who are quite capable in dealing with this issue, it does not need a single national answer created in Congress. Nor do they need an single national answer imposed on them by the SCOTUS.

Every state has laws dealing with destroying the property belonging to another and there is no reason that they cannot be applied to burning a flag when it belongs to somebody other than the actor.

If some fool wants to lay down the money to buy one, and then torch it, it is his money, his loss.

If a state were to make it a citation (ticketable) offense to stomp the dogshit out of somebody who burns a flag, well, that should be up to that state's legislature. Should the state legislature also limit the civil damages for stomping a mudhole in somebody's ass when they burn a flag, well that would be up to them as well.

That has already been done. Louisiana had a "beat a flag burner" law that limited the standard $500 fine for simple assault to $25 for anyone assaulting a person engaged in the act of burning the US flag. I don't know if it is still law in LA.

It's great that we live in a country where it isn't illegal to burn the flag.

I agree. Freedom of expression is a great thing.

It is sad that one must express hatred for their country, however.

I am not happy with the policies of this administration, but I repsect the president as he is my president and I respect my country as it is the most free and most prosperous in the world.

To express disatisfaction in policy, I use debate. It is the best way to capitalize on freedom of expression..

I respect the assholes right to burn our flag - and despise them for their actions.

I respect the OFFICE of POTUS, I rarely respect the incumbent.

The flag, to me, is a symbol of unity. I live in a land where we all have many different ideologies and agendae. We all have different priorities. We all have different goals. We all have different peeves. We have different ancestors, we have different nationalities of origin.

We all have one thing in common. The flag. It is a sign of unity.

I am one that believes in compromise. I am a conservative but who the hell ever said all must live as I do? That is not a conservative value (ironically). Freedom to be who you are is a conservative value.

But in the end, whether we are moderate, liberal or consertvaitve, the flag stands alone as a uniter. It should never be treated with a lack of respect. Its all we got.

Best I got Marc. From my heart. Have fun with it.

WOW> Beautiful actually. I believe a citizen that burns the flag should be considered as voluntarily renouncing their citizenship. Not jailed, not beaten, just offered a one way ticket to whatever country will take them. Our freedom to protest ranges farther than so many other countries that burning the one thing we use to keep us united is a statement that you no longer wish to be here.

I don't understand the act of burning the flag. Why do it? What statement is one trying to make by doing it?

More likely, the American burning a flag is sorely disappointed in his country.

By that analogy, anyone that disappointed where they need to burn the flag can very well just take the first flight out of this country. I, myself, have become very disappointed with this country, but not enough to burn the flag. I just let my voice be heard at the polls.

Regardless of what is being protested, the non-stop desire to acheive 5 minutes of national tv fame (always) prevails with rock throwing, molotov cocktail tossing and unfortunately burning the american flag. Most participants are clueless as to what they're really bitchin' about. Burn the us flag, that'll get the pinhead politicians to cave in to your demands... and a few police billyclub shots to the head.
Flag burning? After where this country has been and is headed now? Nothing more than freedom to express clueless ignorance!

As a conservative, who leans libertarian, I think this issue has more to do with property than with freedom of speech. I believe that a form of expression must be protected under the first amendment, whether we agree with the individual or not.

It is illegal to destroy U.S. currency. This is because of the fact that it is considered government property. Is destroying something that I own, in the form of free speech, the same as destroying something that my neighbor owns? No. Personally, I would never destroy the American flag. However, if I chose to do so and I purchased one myself, then it is my property to do with as I please. But, If I choose to protest my country by burning my neigbors flag, then I have destroyed someone elses property. Just because we refer to it as "the" American flag, doesn't mean there is only one in which we all share equal ownership.

geesh you would never burn your US flag? I would never fly a tattered flag I would burn it see custums on my previous post. I suspect that most people answering either never fly their flags at their homes or do not own a flag. For me people not even owning a flag is troublesome, But I guess it is better then people flying tattered and worn flags that do it diservice and improperly displayed ie wearing a flag shirt, bikini or whatever apparel and think they are being patriotic.

OK...we've established that it's an accepted way to destroy a tattered, faded flag. I'm pretty sure that didn't even cross the mind of the original poster. This thread was meant to stir discussion about burning the flag out of disdain for it...not the proper disposal of it.
And, I dont subscribe to the ANTI flag apparel idea. I have several shirts with the flag on it. And I wear them proudly.

More likely, the American burning a flag is sorely disappointed in his country.

By that analogy, anyone that disappointed where they need to burn the flag can very well just take the first flight out of this country. I, myself, have become very disappointed with this country, but not enough to burn the flag. I just let my voice be heard at the polls.
Lots of folks believe that the position you put forth is also anti-American. that notion of 'my country. love it or leave it.' makes your position set in concrete and any dissent unwelcome.

Not very sustainable, is it? How about something more constructive and inclusive? "My country. Love it or change it."

Liberals feel they're actually showing you how enlightened they are and how stupid the rest of you are when they burn an American Flag. It's just more Liberal Elitist chit. They really do feel they're intellectually superior and they're showing you this by daring to burn the American Flag. That's their warped mentality unfortunately. It's like them dipping a Crucifix in urine and calling it "Art." They really do feel that the act of dipping a Crucifix in urine is really showing all you stupid people how intellectually superior they are. Burning an American Flag is stupid but it is one's right to do so. Liberals are not nearly as superior as they think they are though.

Last night I attended the monthly meeting of the County Veterans Council. It was held at an American Legion Post where I had never been before. After the meeting there was a social hour and I got a chance to look around at the awards and things posted on the walls. There on the bulletin board was the following notification:

Prior to Burning an American Flag
You must show a valid Picture ID
We must have some means of notifying the
Next Of Kin

Liberal Elitism is pretty funny when you look at it a bit closer. Liberals really do feel a sense of superiority when they burn an American Flag or dip a Crucifix in urine and call it "Art." They truly believe it shows all those stupid people how intellectually superior and enlightened they are. They really do have inflated opinions of themselves. I actually think they're pretty stupid. I think most people agree with me on that.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of you who are so emotionally wrapped up in a piece of red white and blue cloth are also sympathetic and understanding of Native American values...especially as it pertains to nature.

Forum List

Back