What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

I don't think that RWers and LWers view it the same at all.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

That it is a form of protesting your government and or country and thus is the epitome of why we have a first amendment.

The SCOTUS has consistently agreed with this.

There are 50 state legislatures out there who are quite capable in dealing with this issue, it does not need a single national answer created in Congress. Nor do they need an single national answer imposed on them by the SCOTUS.

On the contrary. The supremacy clause exists to prevent states from taking away more rights than the federal government has granted. When states seek to take away liberties secured under the bill of rights, there is no more appropriate venue for the SCOTUS to get involved.

Indeed this is what has happened in these instances and I've never heard anyone suggest the SCOTUS didn't have jurisdiction on this matter.

Every state has laws dealing with destroying the property belonging to another and there is no reason that they cannot be applied to burning a flag when it belongs to somebody other than the actor.

That's never the issue. Destruction of someone else's property is not free speech. The issue is always someone burning their own flag and someone wanting to prosecute them for it because they are offended.

There are some conservatives that get outraged at any criticism of the gov't or the gov'ts actions, especially in war. Look at all the shit thrown at anybody that didn't jump in line to support the wars. Or you bring up things the US gov't has done wrong in the past. THey just don't want to here that their precious country can't do no wrong
Exactly!

To many America can do no wrong.

So the Constitution is a god and the flag is the god next to it.

Really? Find me someone - anyone - who actually thinks America can do no wrong, or who considers the Constitution OR the flag to be gods. Otherwise, spare me the frigging hyperbole.

I'll say again to all leftists what I said to Blu - it is not at all surprising to hear that you don't understand the concept and importance of symbolism, because you demonstrate so clearly so often that you understand nothing about human nature in general.

And you will never understand why conservatives do what they do if you ask your questions with your ears already stuffed full of what you "know" to be the answers.

you know nothing of conservatism and based on your posts aren't one. please tell me how useless symbols and how holding people accountable for what they do to those symbols is anyones business or duty?

Ringworm is contagious, even before it happens(?)! Soiled, old rags and clothing should not be passed around.

Especially if the thing fell into the critter dung, and along the trails: Burn It Is Better Than Using It For A Bra!

Amendments to the U. S. Constitution: Can Be Hazardous To Your Health, anyone notices. If you gave the thing as gift, like a sleeping blanket, and you knew that it was smallpox infected: Even to avoid the lawsuits you should burn the a soon as there is a light. . . .to see it with!

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(Parties Need New Tea Shipment, Right Away: From Napa, Sonoma, and Mendocino!)

Last edited:
I think burning the flag for the most part is simply flame bait (no pun ntended). I'm willing to bet that most people who use it in protest just want to cause controversy and anger the other side into doing something stupid.

Nevertheless it should not be banned because it falls under free speech.

Last edited:
Really? Find me someone - anyone - who actually thinks America can do no wrong, or who considers the Constitution OR the flag to be gods. Otherwise, spare me the frigging hyperbole.

I'll say again to all leftists what I said to Blu - it is not at all surprising to hear that you don't understand the concept and importance of symbolism, because you demonstrate so clearly so often that you understand nothing about human nature in general.

And you will never understand why conservatives do what they do if you ask your questions with your ears already stuffed full of what you "know" to be the answers.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

And if you ever catch me pronouncing about the state of someone's soul, that quote will actually be relevant. Until then, it's a misquote and a waste of space.

Are you NOT guilty of "not understanding human nature" by viewing things the Left does the way you do...not even attempting to consider their viewpoint?

What makes you think I either a) don't understand human nature, or b) haven't considered the leftist viewpoint? Please point out to me the occasion of evidence for either.

With that said, I think many Libs find it hard to grasp the concept of putting so much emotion in a document (the Constitution) and an object (the flag) they find it rather silly actually.

Of course they find it silly . . . because they don't understand the power and importance of symbolism, which is in turn evidence that they don't understand human nature.

who cares about the flag, i never understood people's obsessions with symbols and material things. i don't understand how so many "conservatives" attempt to restrict people's rights in order to stop them from burning a peice of plastic/paper/vinyl or whatever the particular, chinese-made flag is produced from

I don't find it at all surprising that you know so little about human nature that you cannot understand the concept and importance of symbolism. Nor do I find it surprising that you don't understand a group of people you've clearly never made any attempt to understand, or even communicate respectfully with.

I understand why many people are weak and need useless symbols to feel better I just find it stupid.

Which just proves that you understand nothing at all, which is what I already said. It really isn't necessary for you to keep demonstrating your ignorance and my correctness, although I do appreciate the effort.

Exactly!

Just curious here. If everyone on the left does not understand human nature in general, are you saying those you determine to be "leftists" are not human, or that they do not understand themselves as well as you do?

I'm technically just guessing that everyone on the left misunderstands human nature, since I've obviously not personally met every leftist in the country. I feel it's a safe assumption to make, though, since I have never met a leftist who DID understand human nature, and certainly the issue positions that make up the left require a stunning lack of knowledge about human nature to sustain them.

Wherever did you get the quaint notion that "misunderstand human nature" means "not human", or that being something means you understand it?

I don't find it at all surprising that you know so little about human nature that you cannot understand the concept and importance of symbolism. Nor do I find it surprising that you don't understand a group of people you've clearly never made any attempt to understand, or even communicate respectfully with.

I understand why many people are weak and need useless symbols to feel better I just find it stupid.

Which just proves that you understand nothing at all, which is what I already said. It really isn't necessary for you to keep demonstrating your ignorance and my correctness, although I do appreciate the effort.

at some point you should stop the ad hominem and actually post something useful

Exactly!

Leave it cecille to make this yet another partisan hack mudslinging competition. we are having decent discussion here and sharing opinions without judgement of others. So please, let the adults discuss and go troll and spout your liberal hatred elsewhere.

So stop reading me or talking to me, putz. It's not like you have anything to say that's going to leave a huge hole in my life by its absence.

at some point you should stop the ad hominem and actually post something useful

I think knowing why leftists behave the way they do is very useful to others. It might not be helpful to YOU, but whatever made you imagine that helping YOU was my goal? It's not my job to teach you about human nature, or about the concept of symbolism and why it matters so much to people. I managed to learn it without a primer on a message board, so I suggest that you go out and learn it on your own like I did.

And they know it will not help their cause, but infuriate those that oppose the act.

And those against the act know that blasting those that do it will not stop them from doing it; instead incite a negative response.

I do not blast those that do it and I would never do it myself.

It is only a tool for anger.
The Vietnam protesters used it to their advantage I would say.

I honestly can't see why anyone would oppose the act. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. :thup:

I can show dissent for my sons actions by spanking him.
Or
I can show dissent for my sons actions by discussing them.

The first way will get him wrapped up in "why does daddy hate me"

The second way will get him to engage in debate.

Sorry for the metaphore. But I bleive I made my point.

We see it differently, but I have a great deal of respect for your view as I agree: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
Ouch! Let's not bring up spanking. :lol:

People that are basically powerless have to use what tools they have. Burning the flag in protest is just one of them. I'd much rather see this than violence. But I do understand where you're coming from.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

I suppose most liberals would say it's their right to do what they please. But I find it's a slap in the face to our country.

The question should be, why would any American want to burn the American flag?

And they know it will not help their cause, but infuriate those that oppose the act.

And those against the act know that blasting those that do it will not stop them from doing it; instead incite a negative response.

I do not blast those that do it and I would never do it myself.

It is only a tool for anger.
The Vietnam protesters used it to their advantage I would say.

I honestly can't see why anyone would oppose the act. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. :thup:

Although what the Protestors did to the returning troops was absolutely deplorable, like it was there choice to be in the war in the first place. Horrible when I see how so many were treated.
A lot of fear back then, I imagine.

Leave it cecille to make this yet another partisan hack mudslinging competition. we are having decent discussion here and sharing opinions without judgement of others. So please, let the adults discuss and go troll and spout your liberal hatred elsewhere.

So stop reading me or talking to me, putz. It's not like you have anything to say that's going to leave a huge hole in my life by its absence.

Without judgements of others? The whole thread an exercise in trolling by the author. Cecile1200 hit one of the issues dead center with the lack of symbolism's meaning comments. That combined with your misplaced view of flag burning as political protest is glaring.

Last edited:
I wonder if those that take offense at burning the flag in protest also take offense at this.

50463061.jpg

Just curious here. If everyone on the left does not understand human nature in general, are you saying those you determine to be "leftists" are not human, or that they do not understand themselves as well as you do?

I'm technically just guessing that everyone on the left misunderstands human nature, since I've obviously not personally met every leftist in the country. I feel it's a safe assumption to make, though, since I have never met a leftist who DID understand human nature, and certainly the issue positions that make up the left require a stunning lack of knowledge about human nature to sustain them.

Wherever did you get the quaint notion that "misunderstand human nature" means "not human", or that being something means you understand it?

You probably have no idea why this post is so damn funny. :lol::lol:

If I thought it was intentional, I'd rep you for it. ;)

I think burning the flag is wrong and offensive.

It would be like me going into your church (if your a church person) and burning the bible in front of you. Thats what Its like to me.

I'm an independant who is financially conservative, socially liberal, and pro small government.

It is not the burning of the flag itself that bothers me. What does bother me is the idea that the person(s) who is(are) desecrating the symbol of this nation, has been taking advantage of all the benefits that we all take for granted and now wants to spit in this countries' face and yes, drsmith, this time it is deliberate. It is great that we have the freedom to do this but it is sad that people actually take advantage of this right.

What's that saying about looking a gift horse in the mouth?

How about the one about biting the hand that feeds you?

Immie

Forum List

Back