What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

So not true.

I have 3 Nationalities. Spanish, Dutch and American.

I don't look down on other countries, i don't "Slam" them or tell them my country is better than theirs..

That's idiotic..

I actually respect many countries, that haven't made me think the other way.

--

Although, I do admit some people do that, and it's sad, so I'm sorry for whoever made you think that way.

That must mean you make an excellent paella, have great beer and can make mouthwatering hotdogs and hamburgers!

How'd you guess? :eek:

:lol:

The dangerous patriot...drifts into chauvinism and exhibits blind enthusiasm for military actions.

Whether or not patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, national security can be the last refuge of the tyrant.

sounds familar

So not true.

I don't look down on other countries, i don't "Slam" them or tell them my country is better than theirs..

That's idiotic..

I actually respect many countries.. Of course, if they have wronged one of my Countries or Countries Allies i will look down upon that country.. Mostly it's Government than it's people.

--

Although, I do admit some people do that, and it's sad, so I'm sorry for whoever made you think that way.

Spraak je Nederlands?

What blows my mind, is the OP seems to think that this 'rant' is an intelligent exploration of the mindset of democrats and/or liberals. It's only about 1/2 notch above some of the ignorant wingnuts rants posted here.

To answer my own question...I don't got offended at all when I see them burning an American flag. I actually sometimes find it funny, because I think..."boy are they mad." Seeing people extremely mad and not engaged in violence often makes me chuckle...for whatever reason.

I don't see myself ever burning a flag, as its not Christlike, but politically I have no objections to it and I find it to be a rather good and constructive statement to make, especially considering that this country stands for freedom.

Freedom. What a loaded and abstract word. Freedom means different things to different people. Also, nothing is truly free in the real world, because the world is based on rules...from the rules of nature, to the rules of society, to the rules of law an everything in-between.

That's my position on the matter.

Hmm.. Somebody burns the flag and you don't get offended? Your quite the Patriot.

Find it funny? what the hell? :cuckoo:

My View: If i see the American Flag burning, i would get offended, i wouldn't find it funny at all, but i can't do anything about it, it's protected by the Constitution..

I don't get offended. Actually, I get excited. When someone is angered to the point of 'flag burning', it typically means that some wrong is beginning to be addressed. Eliminate wrongs and there would be zero flag burnings. If you think it impossible for us to do that, then you should be excited when you see a flag burning. It means that another person had opted for non-violent (rather than violent) resistance.

I'd much rather see a protest with flag burnings than one with AK-47's. No one dies that way.

So not true.

That's idiotic..

I actually respect many countries.. Of course, if they have wronged one of my Countries or Countries Allies i will look down upon that country.. Mostly it's Government than it's people.

--

Spraak je Nederlands?

Ja..

well.. so-so. I'm completely fluent in Spanish and English, but Dutch I never had the time to learn it.. i can understand it, (mostly) but other than that.. not really,

what if you ingest it? what if it goes in an open wound? not to mention it invades the privacy and rights of another person, neither of which burning a flag does

pee comes out of your bladder sterile.. you can drink it.

its not completely sterile as much undigestable/unusable stuff is passed out in it. depending on what you ate and drank leading up to drinking the pee you could be very sick after only drinking a mouthful. there are surivival methods, shown on numerous discovery channels type shows, on how to use just the sun and a hole in the ground to completely sterilize pee to make it safe for unlimited drinking

True or False: It?s Safe to Drink Your Urine - HealthLibrary

With several caveats and under certain conditions, yes, it is safe to drink your urine.

The caveats, of course, are that if you have a urinary tract infection of some sort or take drugs, then your urine will contain those things as well.

urine - Urology - MedHelp

Yes, urine is considered sterile in the sense that it normally should not contain bacteria. Bacteriuria is the presence of bacteria in the urine that is not attributed to contamination from the skin, foreskin, or vagina. Although urine produced freshly by the kidneys is sterile (unless the individual has a kidney infection), it can become infected with bacteria or yeast in the presence of a urinary tract infection.

"Most" liberals neither burn flags nor project their own small mindedness on the people who choose that form of expression. To find out why any person chooses to burn a flag, you'd have to ask them. I'm pretty sure you'd get a wide range of answers.

The whole point is, banning a form of speech just because it is "offensive" is an open invitation to majority rule over all speech. That means it is no longer free, and dissent by definition will no longer be tolerated. That is not what that flag stands for. While I personally find it distasteful, it is far better to see the piece of cloth desecrated than to see what it represents destroyed.

Calling flag burning free speech makes as much sense as me talking to you by peeing on your head. I know what I said, but your going to be confused and mad. Still free speech?

wow, just when you thought you've heard the dumbest arguments ever, this one comes across.

Peeing on someone is assault. Burning a flag doesn't harm anybody else. You can't possibly be that dumb to think what you put forth was a good argument

I would consider burning the American flag an assault too. I think both make as much sense as free speech protections. You find one of them repulsive. Find them both to be so. Many parallels, except you have closed your mind to one because ddep down you hate your country. Just admit it.

Calling flag burning free speech makes as much sense as me talking to you by peeing on your head. I know what I said, but your going to be confused and mad. Still free speech?

wow, just when you thought you've heard the dumbest arguments ever, this one comes across.

Peeing on someone is assault. Burning a flag doesn't harm anybody else. You can't possibly be that dumb to think what you put forth was a good argument

I would consider burning the American flag an assault too. I think both make as much sense as free speech protections. You find one of them repulsive. Find them both to be so. Many parallels, except you have closed your mind to one because ddep down you hate your country. Just admit it.

ummm. peeing on another affects the rights and privacy of the person being peed on. burning a flag doesn't affect anyone. the ability to freely do what doesn't infringe on other's right is what defines a free place and people.

I prefer to live in a nation that allows its people to burn its flag than in one that doesn't

It is a representation of how far the country is willing to go to allow its people free speech

ummm. peeing on another affects the rights and privacy of the person being peed on. burning a flag doesn't affect anyone. the ability to freely do what doesn't infringe on other's right is what defines a free place and people.

We're about 132 posts into the subject, I think it effects people and certainly affects people. Burning the flag is a form of violence, so you are commiting a violent protest. That does infringe on the rights of others. You are up in arms over violating the rights of a single person, while having nary a care over offending many patriots.

We're about 132 posts into the subject, I think it effects people and certainly affects people. Burning the flag is a form of violence, so you are commiting a violent protest. That does infringe on the rights of others. You are up in arms over violating the rights of a single person, while having nary a care over offending many patriots.

what? how is burning a peice of material violent?

what? how is burning a peice of material violent?

Because it is widely known that to many, the act insulting and will likely prompt a response with anger.

Why dont they simply burn a map of the United States? It is making the same point and in no way would it rpomote anger from those that see the flag as sacred (in a non religious way).

Come on. You are smarter than that. You know why they burn those flags.

I prefer to live in a nation that allows its people to burn its flag than in one that doesn't

It is a representation of how far the country is willing to go to allow its people free speech

And you do live in such a nation.

Sadly, the lack of respect of the left for the feeling of those on the right is why it is likely why it is done more often than not.

Likewise, the right using "sanctity of marriage" as the reason for not allowing gay marriage is a bunch of crap as well and is an indication of lack of respect of the left.

LMAO. And we call congress our leaders. They are children with childish ideologies.

One day we will see. One day. But we will all be long gone by then.

I think it's very interesting that you seem to think somebody doing something that offends your personal sensibilities is the same as you doing something physically to atttack another person's body.

Why do you feel your personal opinion is as important as my right not to be physically attacked?

And I'll also say, that opnion offends my own personal sensibilities. Therefore, since it offends me do I have the right to assault you or limit your ability to say it?

For the benefit (that word caught your atention huh libs?) of the dense, I think they are BOTH wrong.

Here's the thing. What issue is better protested with a flag burning? How does that rally people to change their mind in favor of your cause? It reminds me of the last visit of the KKK here. The only purpose of them coming was to garner media coverage. They hoped to provoke violence. Flag burners are no better and their motivations are identical.

For the benefit (that word caught your atention huh libs?) of the dense, I think they are BOTH wrong.

Here's the thing. What issue is better protested with a flag burning? How does that rally people to change their mind in favor of your cause? It reminds me of the last visit of the KKK here. The only purpose of them coming was to garner media coverage. They hoped to provoke violence. Flag burners are no better and their motivations are identical.

In order to be protected, should speech have to be effective? By whose standards?

No, thanks.

Burning a flag is about as much a form of violence as burning a log. Since when has there been a Constitutional right to not be offended? However, that single person does have the a constitutional right to freedom of speech, expression, and flag burning/symbolic speech is his/her protected under that right.

Forum List

Back