What's your ObamaCares horror story?

Discussion in 'ObamaCare' started by Luddly Neddite, Jul 5, 2017.

1. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,386
    Horror stories shouldn't drive policy decisions. My problem with ACA is that it's another large step down the path to corporatism. It further reinforces the notion that government is our caretaker.

2. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,899
    Obama removed the stop gap plan from the ACA causing people that need temporary insurance to pay through the nose...It was a cash grab and it hurt people of all income levels...My neighbor had to cough up $1400 plus $600 for his uncovered meds when he had to go onto Obamacare for only two months!!!
    $2000 for two months of coverage for just himself...he didn't even make a claim the whole two months...
    The hideous part is that there is a stop gab plan tab on the ACA site but it doesn't work...Obama took it away after the bill was law...evil prick...when you click on it it says stop gap plans are temporarily not available...it's a rip off...

3. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,882
    A temporary plan would have been medically underwritten and your neighbor probably would have been denied coverage, not to mention they probably would not have covered his meds. Temp plans even if approved find a way to say it was pre x and not pay. Very dangerous for some people.

Oh wait a minute after re reading your post, you could purchase a temp plan for 3 months at a time he just would have had to call someone that sold them, no such thing on healthcare.gov.

4. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,882
    They have since changed it but can't remember how long you can buy for now, I won't deal with them, people don't seem to understand they are not guaranteed issue and will not pay for pre existing conditions.

5. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,899
    When the bill was proposed there was stop gap plans so people in between coverage would stay current...those plans were at an affordable cost but when they took that option away you were stuck paying full price with no subsidies...

6. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,882
    You're not talking about temporary plans?

7. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,899
    Yes I am go to the covered CA site and you will see the stop gap temporary plans...the tab hasn't worked for over three years...it's an intentional rip off...

8. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,882
    oh crap man you didn't say it was in CA, whole different ball game out there, but as far as I know all 50 states had insurance companies that would have sold a temp plan. I believe one of the biggest companies out there that offers temp plans and overseas temp plan is called Petersen Group.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,899
    The state has banned all temporary stop gap plans indefinitely costing people thousands....if you have a pre existing you are stuck paying it just to remain covered...