What's With Judges?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    NYC Judge rules that police can't 'check' bulky blankets or backpacks w/o cause at Republican Convention.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/213954p-184246c.html

Excerpt:

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I would imagine that it has something to do with those pesky rights we have as americans. That bill of rights sure does get in the way.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    DK, normally I agree with you, but it's obvious that the conventions are targets. No one is saying they shouldn't be able to protest, but I can't go to traffic court w/o having my purse checked and pockets emptied.

Boston isn't playing it this way...

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Another example of the battle between personal rights and the right to be alive. I suspect this will ebb and flow with the election crowds and a possible terrorist attack. I'm not sure if any one is even looking for a resolution to this dilemma.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Agreed. It's the inherent/apparent danger of our system. Going to be interesting to see when it does get addressed, but won't be for the conventions, unless there is an attack here.

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    That judge is a pinhead. In Arkansas, police can stop any suspicious character they wish, and if they refuse to submit to a search, it's considered enough probable cause to get a drug or bomb dog out there. I wouldn't feel safe with these kinds of decisions being made. If that was law in Atlanta, Hartfield airport would still be heavily damaged, as they caught a guy at the gate about a year and a half ago with enough ferlitizer explosive to blow a whole terminal. People have a right to peacefully assemble, but they need to be kept peaceful somehow.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    They need to move the damn Convention to another state. New York just won't get all the money that the convention will bring in from visitors from other states.
    IMO, safety comes before the right not to have your damn backpack searched! Why would anyone be upset that their backpacks are searched if they have nothing to hide. This is just rediculous!

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I've aleady seen video of the protestors beating the hell outta each other---maybe they will get it out of thier systems ??

9. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It won't matter an ounce whether they check the bags or not. It wouldn't take a person on the floor of Madison Square Garden...there are too many ways to get near it- over, under, around, etc. There are restaurants, hotels, bars, trains, stores, etc. all there. If they want, they'll damage.

We are not safe. We will never be so long as we're free. It's a trade off...I'd still rather be free then dead than never free.

Of course I also think it's my right as a citizen to carry a firearm and take as many of them out with me....

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I hear you Moi, this is where you, Dillo, DK and I tend to agree. At the same time there are heightened alerts, seems foolhardy that they can pass for somthing like this when they couldn't going into to a traffic or divorce proceeding.