What's Up With The Site??...

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Okay. Well...I wish Gunny was still here. I hope he isn't another casualty of this thing called "ageing". I love it when people's favourites come back, you see, but Gunny may not be able to...!
Gunny's under the witness protection plan, been assigned a new name, a new location in the tropics, a Swiss bank account, 24 hour double-secret service protection, three private chefs, a rather large sailing vessel with crew...and a Captain's hat.

DIRECTOR said:
My equipment (or our server) was playing-up last week and some preeeettty weird stuff happened, apparently: a link to a girlie site was posted (for about three minutes, untill I spotted it and removed it), and one of my threads went out onto the Politics forum more than ten times as duplicates! I use Wi-Fi, here, and the site's server was REALLY bad on Thursday night and I kept clicking the 'POST REPLY' button because nothing was happening. Turns out the thread went out multiple times, as I said. I got warned for all this sh*t and it felt bad because I *AM* a noob on here. I hope I can PM the moderator who warned me and explain all what happened.

*takes a seat and pinches self*

Anyone think he'll understand?!...
You may PM any moderator here. However, I don't know that you can.

Most of our moderators are able to understand anything that you could possibly write.

Better not go under. I can think of several individuals here that will likely slit their wrists without their 24/7 trolling the board fix.

Gotta admit, i would be bummed. But yeah, it's lost the energetic vibe. It's like those who run it just lost interest. And they really do need to get rid of the video ads and all the adware. It wreaks havoc on computers.

Kinda making it tough to wanna come here. Computer slows to a crawl from all the adware. It happens when i come to this site. I hope they do figure it out. I love the site. Been coming here for awhile. I guess we'll see though.
Ad Fender seems to be working great for me, and it's a free download also.. My comp seems to be doing great no matter if I come here or not. Hey and my comp is purdy darn old too, so I'm not sure what is slowing you down really, unless it's those ads like you say maybe.

Not sure what the make up at the top of this site is, and this be it either (liberal or maybe conservative / tea party type crowds or who knows what maybe running it), but if it's a majority left wing liberal that is running it, well they could be losing to many battles lately, and therefore they worry that the site could be providing a platform for those who are exposing them or are against them because they may be to radical as liberals or even heavily liberal minded in this nation. Who knows really..

Hmmmmmm ???????

I know I post a lot less because it's a pain in the butt to navigate the site and do the basic functions of posting. Granted, the site is free and I'm just another freeloader.

I shouldn't have to install more crap on my computer to post here. Perhaps, the site should realize they've gone way overboard and cut back to somewhat reasonable. Maybe just cut back on the adds when the server/s are overburdened somehow.
I think it is a mix of a poor/ slow server on USMB's end...poor database maintenance, sub-par forum software, and bad coding.

I keep my task manager open and kill the scripts as they pop up when the site starts acting sluggish. That is actually more effective than adblock...but I would highly recommend flash killer.

I shouldn't have to install more crap on my computer to post here. Perhaps, the site should realize they've gone way overboard and cut back to somewhat reasonable. Maybe just cut back on the adds when the server/s are overburdened somehow.
I think it is a mix of a poor/ slow server on USMB's end...poor database maintenance, sub-par forum software, and bad coding.

I keep my task manager open and kill the scripts as they pop up when the site starts acting sluggish. That is actually more effective than adblock...but I would highly recommend flash killer.
I have a firefox add in called BluHell Firewall. I kills 99% of the scripts and all the ads. Give it a try.

I have a firefox add in called BluHell Firewall. I kills 99% of the scripts and all the ads. Give it a try.
Can you hover over links and hover over alerts and get a response?

I shouldn't have to install more crap on my computer or waste time getting around a less than adequate decision.

If it takes over 10 seconds for a post to actually post, I just say, "Oh Well, screwed today" and move on

Lumpy, you're absolutely right, we shouldn't have to install stuff to be able to use the site. We didn't have this problem when Gunny, Pix and Meister ran the place. Even the emu was vastly superior to what we have now.
Since then, USMB has turned into a place where certain people can get away with just about anything, but pointing out that certain staff members do more harm than good can result in being sent to the gulag.

Can you hover over links and hover over alerts and get a response?
Yup. As far as I can tell, there is no change in functionality other than a massive speed increase.

I have a feeling their server is based in India or something...probably dirt cheap and old.

Lumpy, you're absolutely right, we shouldn't have to install stuff to be able to use the site. We didn't have this problem when Gunny, Pix and Meister ran the place. Even the emu was vastly superior to what we have now.
Since then, USMB has turned into a place where certain people can get away with just about anything, but pointing out that certain staff members do more harm than good can result in being sent to the gulag.
Sheesh Ernie, I'm having problems posting.. I'm on the edge of saying, "poops on this nightmare"..:laugh:

Those were the golden years of posting here. Even though I was well disliked by the dominant forces, I sure had fun ruffling their feathers. I don't post enough to judge most present day staff members but I can say the ones I like, I really do like.

Sheesh Ernie, I'm having problems posting.. I'm on the edge of saying, "poops on this nightmare"..:laugh:

Those were the golden years of posting here. Even though I was well disliked by the dominant forces, I sure had fun ruffling their feathers. I don't post enough to judge most present day staff members but I can say the ones I like, I really do like.
Hell I like virtually all of the mods. I'm talking red ink here, Lumpster.

Try running the site on firefox with BluHell Firewall. It solved all my problems, well except for the above.

It's in Cedar Park,Texas, actually. USMB domain name is registered to Scottsdale, AZ.
I would like to know the specs on that server, because this is the only site that I visit that hangs up and causes so much trouble...and on top of that, it makes my entire browser hang up if I have more than one tab open.

Try running the site on firefox with BluHell Firewall. It solved all my problems, well except for the above.
I think it is time for a mod overhaul. Can't discuss why...that's too bad.

It's in Cedar Park,Texas, actually. USMB domain name is registered to Scottsdale, AZ.
I would like to know the specs on that server, because this is the only site that I visit that hangs up and causes so much trouble...and on top of that, it makes my entire browser hang up if I have more than one tab open.
Firefox and BluHell will fix it. It's not the server, it's the ads and scripts the site runs to try to generate a profit.

Mods are fine. They need better upper management.

Mods are fine. They need better upper management.
Not sure about that. If they leave the site up to the mods...then whose fault is it. And their choice in mods absolutely baffles me...well, not really. They do well in maintaining the overall narrative of USMB.

The mods don't sell ad space or choose software. All they do is referee out squabbles. ADMIN is where you should be bitching.

Look for folks with red names. They are the only ones who can fix (or create) software problems.
G'night guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back