Thanks, Agree's etc

cereal_killer

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2012
Austin
As some of you have already noticed there are no more ratings (agree, funny etc) and when posting/submitting the post would hang up and appear to not have worked. Continuing to hit 'submit' would double and triple post a lot of times.

This 'hanging' was caused by the ratings system. We're getting errors and cannot figure out the source of whats causing these errors. This is the same software version as our other sites and yet this is the only site experiencing this issue.

Our programmer is in the process of working through these issues to get everything back up and running. You MAY experience slow load times or erratic behavior from time to time so bear with us for a bit as we try to figure out whats causing these errors.

Apologies for the inconvenience folks...

UPDATE 1: TapaTalk is causing the error so it has been disabled temporarily. The mobile site is just as fast an intuitive so please use that while on your mobile device.

UPDATE 2: Everything is working and there is peace in the world.........for now

okey dokey.

But..maybe you should go back to the old format. Like some have mentioned and I hafta agree with....something is missing now. Not sure what. It's not the same board. Not the same vibe. No vibrancy any more. Many MIA. In short..it lost its edge.

Not complainin'. Just stating an opinion/emotion. For ME, it no longer really feels like "home" like it did before. And that kinda makes me sad.

okey dokey.

But..maybe you should go back to the old format. Like some have mentioned and I hafta agree with....something is missing now. Not sure what. It's not the same board. Not the same vibe. No vibrancy any more. Many MIA. In short..it lost its edge.

Not complainin'. Just stating an opinion/emotion. For ME, it no longer really feels like "home" like it did before. And that kinda makes me sad.

That's because is it different, too many good people left, the rep system afforded a really nice and easy opportunity to banter about with various posters. Not having that ease-of-use has made this place ... well, to be frank (not CrusaderFrank), boring. I've hopped back in the last couple of days. Still boring. imho of course.

Total: 663 (members: 138, guests: 288, robots: 237)

CK....you know I loves ya. But...looky ^

When I first came here...there were THOUSANDS of members online posting. Now there are more bots than members. And not nearly as many joining as before. The introduction forum has cobwebs in the ceiling.

Are people heading to FB, are they just burned out on boards, or is it cuz its summer and people are doing stuff? Or is it this place and what it is now?

Just something to think about. I miss what was, hon.

I brought a few folks over from the other place I used to post at because there were THOUSANDS posting. I remember telling them "you go there, your posts don't just hang with no answer. There are NEVER any less than 800 people there ALL AT ONCE".

One stayed. The rest bailed I guess. Maybe it was TOO busy for them. Me, I like busy boards. This one ain't busy any more. :(
Well, it is, if you count the perverted crap being posted alla time.

Total: 663 (members: 138, guests: 288, robots: 237)

CK....you know I loves ya. But...looky ^

When I first came here...there were THOUSANDS of members online posting. Now there are more bots than members. And not nearly as many joining as before. The introduction forum has cobwebs in the ceiling.

Are people heading to FB, are they just burned out on boards, or is it cuz its summer and people are doing stuff? Or is it this place and what it is now?

Just something to think about. I miss what was, hon.
Pageviews (up 200K), sessions (up 10K), pages/session (up 2) avg session duration (up 2 minutes). Thats just from February. Things are good for USMB :) Elections are drawing closer as well so expect those numbers to go up even more. USMB has been thriving for a long time.

I agree and I would also like to know what your other sites are as well.

While not all changes are bad, what looked like an ad for low cost hookers no longer shows up in the right hand column when I come here, which is a big improvement. however the old rep system did work and should be returned.

Ok. Just wanted to say what I was feeling. Maybe its me, then.

Baaaaaaaaaaaa. (sorry. Couldn't resist making a funny) :lol:

As some of you have already noticed there are no more ratings (agree, funny etc) and when posting/submitting the post would hang up and appear to not have worked. Continuing to hit 'submit' would double and triple post a lot of times.

This 'hanging' was caused by the ratings system. We're getting errors and cannot figure out the source of whats causing these errors. This is the same software version as our other sites and yet this is the only site experiencing this issue.

Our programmer is in the process of working through these issues to get everything back up and running. You MAY experience slow load times or erratic behavior from time to time so bear with us for a bit as we try to figure out whats causing these errors.

A lot of members are also complaining about the ads slowing down everything as well. Are you addressing that issue also? Curious minds want to know.

While you are fixing things, why not a list of temporarily and permanently banned members, along with the reason they were banned?

I still really hate the "alert" algorhythm you're using.

I get punished for not clicking one alert by then missing entire updates on threads. It suxxx

A lot of members are also complaining about the ads slowing down everything as well. Are you addressing that issue also? Curious minds want to know.
We have a new ad server that loads the page FIRST, then the ads, so there should be no slow down at all. Now I'd rather you not use an adblocker because it does help us pay for some of the bills, BUT if you don't want to do that install adblocker.

Haven't tried with today's fix, but I'd tried disabling all images before and it didn't speed things up, actually slowed em down a tad. Test performance later. Expect to be up late tonight on tornado watch. Hard to sleep when things that might kill you are nearby :)

We have a new ad server that loads the page FIRST, then the ads, so there should be no slow down at all. Now I'd rather you not use an adblocker because it does help us pay for some of the bills, BUT if you don't want to do that install adblocker.
I've been using Adblocker Plus for awhile now. It not only helps on this site, but it helps on all sites that I use. Besides, I'm really not interested in reading the ads. I can do a search for anything that I might be looking for that is for sale. To me, it's like being forced to contend with commercials on TV when you're really interested in a program. And, it pay you money, but your ads don't put any money in my pocket, nor in the pockets of other members. You subject us to ads, and ask that we not block them, just so you can make money. Do you share that money with the members that have to contend with the ads? I do understand that it cost money to run a site like this. But, you could be courteous enough to place them at the bottom of the page in small blocks so that those that don't want to read them, can instead pay attention to the posts and comments.

Make all the money you want off of the ads, but at the same time, have consideration for the members that post here so that you can sell ad space. If members leave, and the site has very few that come here and post, how many ads will you be able to sell space to, and for how much? You have to walk the fine line between attracting and keeping members, and selling enough ad space to support the site. Put yourself in our place and think of what too many ads popping up, flashing, and playing, would discourage you from enjoying the site. Think of growing the site, think of attracting as many members as you possibly can, and then, think of how you can support the site without running people off. Designate a small area at the bottom of the screen, sell ad space for those blocks, and allow members to enjoy posting and having conversations without ads popping up all over the place, flashing in their face, and ad videos playing. Or, turn the site into a web classified section and fill the whole page with ads.

Without members, a lot of members, you can't ask very much for ad space. Internet traffic attracts advertisers. The more traffic and views, the higher price for the ad space. It's a fine line to walk, but one that should be considered very carefully. Value your members, realize their value, and design the site accordingly. Attract advertisers by the amount of traffic this site generates. The larger the audience, the more valuable the ad space. Set aside an areas for ads that doesn't interfere with posts and comments. You can have a column on the side of the page, or a row of ad blocks at the bottom. But, allow posts and comment sections to be free of ads. These are just suggestions. Basically, how you run your site is none of my business. But, I have seen other forums last a couple of years and fold, and one I was a member of, folded after 5 years. I would hate to see this site visit the bone yard like others have. Again, it's none of my business how you run and operate this site. But, I'm suggesting that there is a better way to grow the site, and at the same time attract advertisers.

When people enjoy a site, they visit it on a regular basis. When people have fun, meet new people, make friends, and really enjoy the conversations and exchanges with others, you couldn't run them off. But, when those same people become discouraged and disappointed in the site, they leave by the bunches. If this site is a business, then treat it like a business, and realize where the value comes from. The value comes from the members.

Forum List

Back