What's the solution to rising job loss due to technology?

My grandfather was a union painter after he got back from WWII

The paint roller had just come out and the union would inspect the job site to make sure they were using a paint brush instead of a roller. Reason was because a man with a paint roller could do the job of three painters

My grandfather said he used to hide a roller under a tarp until the union guys left

So the will and desire to cheat the system runs in your blood...it all makes sense now. No wonder you support illegal wetbacks fucking over REAL Americans....after all, your grandfather fucked over his own Union Brothers.

Not only are you a loser....but you are a total asshole

Thanks for posting

I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings bud. Just call it like I see it.
But don’t you think it’s time you start thinking and speaking like a good American does/would?

So a good American would use the inferior tool and take longer to do a job just so others can get paid more, is that what you are saying?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Do you know how a Union Brotherhood works?

My grandfather was a union painter after he got back from WWII

The paint roller had just come out and the union would inspect the job site to make sure they were using a paint brush instead of a roller. Reason was because a man with a paint roller could do the job of three painters

My grandfather said he used to hide a roller under a tarp until the union guys left

So the will and desire to cheat the system runs in your blood...it all makes sense now. No wonder you support illegal wetbacks fucking over REAL Americans....after all, your grandfather fucked over his own Union Brothers.

Not only are you a loser....but you are a total asshole

Thanks for posting

I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings bud. Just call it like I see it.
But don’t you think it’s time you start thinking and speaking like a good American does/would?

So a good American would use the inferior tool and take longer to do a job just so others can get paid more, is that what you are saying?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Yes I do. They fuck over companies and make sure the company cannot be competitive in the international market place.

What can a human really do that advanced AI won't eventually be able to do better? Every time this conversation is had somebody inevitably makes the terrible argument that we'll need people to fix the machines, so there's nothing to worry about. Do you really think robot maintenance jobs will offset the massive loss in jobs across the entire board? Do you really think these robots won't eventually be maintaining themselves?

In the next century we will be seeing human labor become largely obsolete. There will be less and less jobs, and therefore more and more unemployment. What happens when 40-50% of the population (or more) can't find work because it just isn't there? How is that sustainable?

I made a thread about this very thing sometime back... Anthony Bourdain did an interview with the Chinese Minister of Finance (correct title?)... he asked him what did he see as the greatest economic challenge in the modern world... his answer was not what one would expect, paraphrase... "what to do with excess population, as every year passes, fewer people are needed to provide the products and services that the population demands. Even as the population is growing, that number continues to fall making the problem larger every year. There needs to be an answer as to what to do with this very big problem".

Yes I do. They fuck over companies and make sure the company cannot be competitive in the international market place.
They also eliminated child labor, improved workplace safety, and enabled workers to negotiate with employers for wages and benefits. Not surprisingly there were plenty of abuses on both sides.

What can a human really do that advanced AI won't eventually be able to do better? Every time this conversation is had somebody inevitably makes the terrible argument that we'll need people to fix the machines, so there's nothing to worry about. Do you really think robot maintenance jobs will offset the massive loss in jobs across the entire board? Do you really think these robots won't eventually be maintaining themselves?

In the next century we will be seeing human labor become largely obsolete. There will be less and less jobs, and therefore more and more unemployment. What happens when 40-50% of the population (or more) can't find work because it just isn't there? How is that sustainable?
/----/ Liberals need to register robots and program them to vote democRTA. After all robots are people too.

When they find a machine that can lay roof sheeting on a 12/12 pitch, in the wind, during a cold winter...what I was just doing before I took lunch.
I will gladly step aside.

Pretty sure my job is safe until I die...or fall off.

They also eliminated child labor, improved workplace safety, and enabled workers to negotiate with employers for wages and benefits. Not surprisingly there were plenty of abuses on both sides.

Every single American, no matter what job they have or where they work (unless self employed of course)...owes a tremendous debt to the unions of old. Unions built the middle class. Period.
Virtually every benefit one can think of in their job, including a decent wage, all goes back to union negotiations.

Having said that. Unions today are as useless as tits on a boar. As long as Americans do not care where the products they buy come from, companies can simply build factories overseas - or outsource overseas... thus making unions powerless.

Kill the bots...

Yes they did. I look at unions like buggy whips. They were a highly effective and needed tool for their day. But, in my opinion, they have outlived their usefulness.

During my couple years with WalMart my store went through a 4 wall expansion and some union folks were hired to keep from being picketed. One overnight shift three of them were screwing something up and I told them to quit as they were not reading the blueprint correctly. That was the most trouble I got into with WalMart, I dared to speak directly to a union member instead of finding the Rep and telling him and have him tell the workers to stop what they were doing.

My defense is by then it would have been too late to stop them, and I was told "well, then they could have done it the next night". Sorry, I am no fan of unions. Twice they tried to come to companies I was working at, and both times I fought against them...going all the way back to 1985

When they find a machine that can lay roof sheeting on a 12/12 pitch, in the wind, during a cold winter...what I was just doing before I took lunch.

They tried making a brick laying machine to replace me but it never seems to work out, damn it!

They tried making a brick laying machine to replace me but it never seems to work out, damn it!

I put a bricklayer into the Corps. When I saw him after Boot Camp he told me it was the easiest 3 months he had had 2 years! that job is no joke and he was the newbie so he was basically the pack mule for the other guys

15194101522291518676935.jpg
Can a robot finish this?
Doubt it.

I put a bricklayer into the Corps. When I saw him after Boot Camp he told me it was the easiest 3 months he had had 2 years! that job is no joke and he was the newbie so he was basically the pack mule for the other guys
The Army was easier than football...It was easier than track and wrestling...It was easier than living with my sister.....I was bored in the Army..

Yes they did. I look at unions like buggy whips. They were a highly effective and needed tool for their day. But, in my opinion, they have outlived their usefulness.

During my couple years with WalMart my store went through a 4 wall expansion and some union folks were hired to keep from being picketed. One overnight shift three of them were screwing something up and I told them to quit as they were not reading the blueprint correctly. That was the most trouble I got into with WalMart, I dared to speak directly to a union member instead of finding the Rep and telling him and have him tell the workers to stop what they were doing.

My defense is by then it would have been too late to stop them, and I was told "well, then they could have done it the next night". Sorry, I am no fan of unions. Twice they tried to come to companies I was working at, and both times I fought against them...going all the way back to 1985
I hear you. Well I certainly don't want to go back to child labor and the like. How do we prevent history from repeating itself?

The Army was easier than football...It was easier than track and wrestling...It was easier than living with my sister.....I was bored in the Army..

Well, there is a reason we called Army basic "summer camp"! :10:

Forum List

Back