What's the solution to rising job loss due to technology?

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
What can a human really do that advanced AI won't eventually be able to do better? Every time this conversation is had somebody inevitably makes the terrible argument that we'll need people to fix the machines, so there's nothing to worry about. Do you really think robot maintenance jobs will offset the massive loss in jobs across the entire board? Do you really think these robots won't eventually be maintaining themselves?

In the next century we will be seeing human labor become largely obsolete. There will be less and less jobs, and therefore more and more unemployment. What happens when 40-50% of the population (or more) can't find work because it just isn't there? How is that sustainable?

Tax robots as if they were actual workers. That way no matter if a company decides to totally automate, it will not save them that much more in labor costs.

Would also create more revenue, not that the US has a revenue problem.

I have a solution.....Luddites

CPH089_Luddites-518x800.jpg

What can a human really do that advanced AI won't eventually be able to do better? Every time this conversation is had somebody inevitably makes the terrible argument that we'll need people to fix the machines, so there's nothing to worry about. Do you really think robot maintenance jobs will offset the massive loss in jobs across the entire board? Do you really think these robots won't eventually be maintaining themselves?

In the next century we will be seeing human labor become largely obsolete. There will be less and less jobs, and therefore more and more unemployment. What happens when 40-50% of the population (or more) can't find work because it just isn't there? How is that sustainable?

This is definitely a significant concern but IMHO not unprecedented, similar dislocations have occurred in the past (e.g. during the Industrial Revolution) and the concerns being voiced were just as dire then. The answer is that the economy and public policy will have to adapt, I suspect what we'll end up with is a mix of new types of labor demand (increased service sector demand and increasingly specialized manufacturing) along with some form of a universal basic income.

What you're not going to have is "40-50%" of the population running around with little or no prospect of securing steady income, first off social unrest would almost assuredly prevent it and secondly you're talking about a drop in aggregate demand so significant that it would put civilization back into the modern equivalent of the dark ages.:dunno:

The far left solution is to try and saturate the US with cheap slave labor by accepting illegal immigrants!
How exactly would that help solve or mitigate the problem of large swaths of the population being essentially unemployable due to technology driven economic dislocation?

I think that most corporations/companies are smart enough not to automate themselves out of existence. If your customers do not have jobs, they are no longer able to buy your product, which in turn is bad for the corporations/companies.

I do agree with the post above that we will eventually end up with a UBI of some sorts to offset the effects of job losses due to technology.

My grandfather was a union painter after he got back from WWII

The paint roller had just come out and the union would inspect the job site to make sure they were using a paint brush instead of a roller. Reason was because a man with a paint roller could do the job of three painters

My grandfather said he used to hide a roller under a tarp until the union guys left

The paint roller had just come out and the union would inspect the job site to make sure they were using a paint brush instead of a roller. Reason was because a man with a paint roller could do the job of three painters

My grandfather said he used to hide a roller under a tarp until the union guys left

So the will and desire to cheat the system runs in your blood...it all makes sense now. No wonder you support illegal wetbacks fucking over REAL Americans....after all, your grandfather fucked over his own Union Brothers.

Kurt Vonnegutt had an idea in the 1950's with his book "Player Piano". The workers got a stipend to live on while robots did most of the work. That really killed the capitalists but people needed money to buy the stuff the robots were manufacturing. Some former workers would hit the bars and bitch about the government all day long, just like people do on these forums. But just think, no work! Spend more time with your family, learn to play a violin or piano, study painting, a whole world of books to read, on and on.

So the will and desire to cheat the system runs in your blood...it all makes sense now. No wonder you support illegal wetbacks fucking over REAL Americans....after all, your grandfather fucked over his own Union Brothers.

Not only are you a loser....but you are a total asshole

Thanks for posting

I see what you mean, but still, you will need a guy to crawl up in that AI and fix it when it go’s all “war games”.

Thanks for posting

I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings bud. Just call it like I see it.
But don’t you think it’s time you start thinking and speaking like a good American does/would?

This is definitely a significant concern but IMHO not unprecedented, similar dislocations have occurred in the past (e.g. during the Industrial Revolution) and the concerns being voiced were just as dire then. The answer is that the economy and public policy will have to adapt, I suspect what we'll end up with is a mix of new types of labor demand (increased service sector demand and increasingly specialized manufacturing) along with some form of a universal basic income.

What you're not going to have is "40-50%" of the population running around with little or no prospect of securing steady income, first off social unrest would almost assuredly prevent it and secondly you're talking about a drop in aggregate demand so significant that it would put civilization back into the modern equivalent of the dark ages.:dunno:
My solution would be re implementing the estate tax that Trump all but abolished. This would prevent a permanent noble class that inherits wealth but doesn't create anything. If you're smart, hard-working, and willing to take risks you deserve what you get but your kids should have to make their own way, just like everyone's kids. There would be less incentive to amass huge fortunes that can't be spent in one's lifetime so early retirements would make way for others.

Idealistic and impractical? Maybe.

Thanks for posting

I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings bud. Just call it like I see it.
But don’t you think it’s time you start thinking and speaking like a good American does/would?

So a good American would use the inferior tool and take longer to do a job just so others can get paid more, is that what you are saying?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

My solution would be re implementing the estate tax that Trump all but abolished. This would prevent a permanent noble class that inherits wealth but doesn't create anything. If you're smart, hard-working, and willing to take risks you deserve what you get but your kids should have to make their own way, just like everyone's kids. There would be less incentive to amass huge fortunes that can't be spent in one's lifetime so early retirements would make way for others.

Idealistic and impractical? Maybe.

Screw that asshole, the taxes have already been paid on that wealth so choke on it.

Forum List

Back