What's the difference between a Cold and a Sinus Infection?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
You hardly hear anyone say they have a cold anymore, and more often now you hear people saying they have a sinus infection.

What's the dif?

Colds are viral. Sinusitis is a bacterial infection and is not contagious.

Yes, when I go to the Dr. and he says my sinuses are trashed, he won't give me an antibiotic and says it could be viral! I guess I need to see a new Dr.!

You hardly hear anyone say they have a cold anymore, and more often now you hear people saying they have a sinus infection.

What's the dif?

Colds are caused by various fastly-mutating rhino viruses. Sinus infection would be a single ailement or symptom. With a cold you'd have other symptoms besides just the sinus complaint.

You will get sinus congestion as a result of a cold virus. However, like Delta-Dipshit said, you will have additional symptoms with a virus whereas sinusitis will be more localized.

A cold virus usually runs its course in 7-10 days. Sinusitis will just keep on until treated. Allergy sinus trouble is, however, different. It will occur only when exposed to the allergen. However, acute sinus problems from allergens can develop into sinusitis.

I get this crap all the time. I started doing allergy shots 5 years ago. They literally changed my life. I used to develop sinusitis 3-4 times per year as a result of my allergies. Half the time it developed into bronchitis.

Use a saline rinse and see if it helps. It will not hurt anything if there is no problem. Just be sure to use DISTILLED water not spring water to mix with the saline packet

Neti pots are a pain. Mix the saline rinse and use a syringe. You won't drown yourself that way. I had to use this every day twice a day for about 6 months. I didn't have a sinus infection it turned out, I had a eustacia tube issue that resulted in putting a drain tube in my ear but I did have a lot of sinus problems during that time the tube was blocked

Neti pots are a pain. Mix the saline rinse and use a syringe. You won't drown yourself that way. I had to use this every day twice a day for about 6 months. I didn't have a sinus infection it turned out, I had a eustacia tube issue that resulted in putting a drain tube in my ear but I did have a lot of sinus problems during that time the tube was blocked

My Dr. told me to use one. Seemed silly. My headache had nothing to do with sinuses so....
I don't think I get very many sinus headaches.... but I always THINK they are sinus headaches because my sinuses are normally trashed...

thats why they have a squeeze bottle.

My Dr. told me to use one. Seemed silly. My headache had nothing to do with sinuses so....
I don't think I get very many sinus headaches.... but I always THINK they are sinus headaches because my sinuses are normally trashed...

not silly- its all connected; clear sinuses= clear ear, nose, throat, head.

im an "expert" on sinuses and facial pain. Broke every bone in my face in 2000 motorcycle accident. Yes I said EVERY bone. Had total reconstructive surgery plus a trachiotomy. I studied it day and night for 7 years during my lawsuit. I know/knew more about closed head injuries and facial trauma than most dr.s. Not kidding.

I was the worst victim of a motorcycle accident the hospital had ever seen (who lived and walked out). I was very very lucky and blessed. Walked out in three weeks- should have been dead. Multiple serious injuries incl. broken neck, back, shoulder, both scapulas..... my $1,000 Scott Russel Shoei helmet came off on impact at about 50 mph no brakes when a pick up truck turned in front of me and i t-boned him, flew over the cab...landing on my face. It saved my brain. I had swelling and bleeding on that too. BTW I had a brand new 2000 Yamaha R1, my third bike. I was 27 then.

Last edited:
im an "expert" on sinuses and facial pain. Broke every bone in my face in 2000 motorcycle accident. Yes I said EVERY bone. Had total reconstructive surgery plus a trachiotomy. I studied it day and night for 7 years during my lawsuit. I know/knew more about closed head injuries and facial trauma than most dr.s. Not kidding.

I was the worst victim of a motorcycle accident the hospital had ever seen (who lived and walked out). I was very very lucky and blessed. Walked out in three weeks- should have been dead. Multiple serious injuries incl. broken neck, back, shoulder, both scapulas.....

Wow! Do you still have residual issues from it? That's amazing... I'm glad you survived! Reminds me of the story about the guy in 90 Minutes in Heaven...

I was the worst victim of a motorcycle accident the hospital had ever seen (who lived and walked out). I was very very lucky and blessed. Walked out in three weeks- should have been dead. Multiple serious injuries incl. broken neck, back, shoulder, both scapulas.....

Wow! Do you still have residual issues from it? That's amazing... I'm glad you survived! Reminds me of the story about the guy in 90 Minutes in Heaven...

almost none- serious, a bit of short term memory loss, forgetfullness etc, a bit of arthritis here and there..... I had on my cross and chain and it somehow came off my neck. The paramedic found it and the cross was somehow on the other side of the clasp done up. Wish I had a pic.

I broke the TRIPLE TREE on my bike- snapped it like a tooth pick; never happened before.

Forum List

Back