What would you like to see in a National Healthcare Plan?

Personally, I would like

1. Drop Medicare eligibility to 55 with a small copay until you reach 65
2. Expand Medicaid eligibility for low wage workers
3. Offer a voluntary Public Option plan
4. Allow people to keep their Employers plan if they want
5. Allow international competition for Pharmaceuticals with strict quality standards

Why would people spend $400k to become a doctor if they cannot get paid for it? You ll have a major shortage of doctors or they will only take employer plans, which pay more.
Who said they won’t be paid?

Right now they earn more from private pay than Medicare and Medicaid. So I say they won't get paid as much.
The market will even out. It always does

How? It has not evened out in Europe? If everyone has the SAME PLAN then the MDs get paid the same and many hospitals will close. Some MDs will do cash only gigs I am sure but very few. I am OK with universal healthcare but then you forgive all MD debts or give them a 5% tax rate for life. We need more doctors not fewer.

Personally, I would like

The Public Option is an interesting concept as NO private company or even non-profit can compete with a government agency that doesn't have to worry about money, being backed up with the deep, deep pockets of the taxpayers.

Private companies in competition with the public option would have to compete on a Quality basis. Signing top flight doctors to long term deals to treat their patients exclusively would be the key to survival. Customers would have to be convinced that paying more is well worth it to get treated by Harvey Cushing, Jonas Salk and Marcus Welby, instead of by Nick Riviera, Vinnie Boombatz and Joe Mengele in the government plan.

A public option would mean publicizing who the best doctors are in every area, and making a big deal when Aetna or Cigna signs them to a 10 year exclusive contract with their firms.

Most people don't know who the best dermatologists and proctologists are in the Hermitage area currently. They still might not after a public option were introduced, but they would at least be thinking about it and might have an opinion on it.

Personally, I would like

The Public Option is an interesting concept as NO private company or even non-profit can compete with a government agency that doesn't have to worry about money, being backed up with the deep, deep pockets of the taxpayers.

Private companies in competition with the public option would have to compete on a Quality basis. Signing top flight doctors to long term deals to treat their patients exclusively would be the key to survival. Customers would have to be convinced that paying more is well worth it to get treated by Harvey Cushing, Jonas Salk and Marcus Welby, instead of by Nick Riviera, Vinnie Boombatz and Joe Mengele in the government plan.

A public option would mean publicizing who the best doctors are in every area, and making a big deal when Aetna or Cigna signs them to a 10 year exclusive contract with their firms.

Most people don't know who the best dermatologists and proctologists are in the Hermitage area currently. They still might not after a public option were introduced, but they would at least be thinking about it and might have an opinion on it.
Sounds great doesn’t it?

Make insurance companies raise their game
You want a low cost option for healthcare? Go Public option
You want the private insurance doctors? Then buy a private plan

Personally, I would like

5. Allow international competition for Pharmaceuticals with strict quality standards

Why would people spend $400k to become a doctor if they cannot get paid for it? You ll have a major shortage of doctors or they will only take employer plans, which pay more.

Right now they earn more from private pay than Medicare and Medicaid. So I say they won't get paid as much.

How? It has not evened out in Europe? If everyone has the SAME PLAN then the MDs get paid the same and many hospitals will close. Some MDs will do cash only gigs I am sure but very few. I am OK with universal healthcare but then you forgive all MD debts or give them a 5% tax rate for life. We need more doctors not fewer.
Yet, nobody in Europe would want to pay for American style private insurance

They are shocked that Americans would lose their house or go bankrupt if they get seriously ill

They are shocked that Americans would lose their house or go bankrupt if they get seriously ill

Europe has long waiting lists for people who need treatment.\

By the time your appointment for you oncologist arrives, you'll need the services of a good mortician instead. Not as long of a wait for that

I would like to see its proponents draft and pass a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT so that it is at least legal.

I would like to see a year-long study conducted to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the best socialized medicine plans in the world, so that we can adopt the best features we find.

I would like to see the major elements of the plan summarized on a 5x8 card, so everybody in the country can see what they are getting into. On the back of the card would be listed all the hundreds of thousands of jobs that would be lost and would fundamentally change as the Government takes over 20% of the economy.

I would like to see a national plebiscite to make sure the public is on board with it.

And if everyone is on board, do what seems to be best. It won't make any difference. Every healthcare delivery system has things that it is good at and things that it sucks at. Socialized medicine will hurt some and help others. But I'll be dead before it's implemented, so I don't care.

By the time your appointment for you oncologist arrives, you'll need the services of a good mortician instead. Not as long of a wait for that

Bullshit
Waiting lists are for elective or non emergency procedures

Bullshit

A knee replacement is non emergency but I d rather not have to wait six months to get one.

Bullshit

A knee replacement is non emergency but I d rather not have to wait six months to get one.

My mum had a hip replacement in her 80's, would a socialized medicine system even have offered that to someone older?

Bullshit

Would you wait if you could get it done for free?

Bullshit

My mum had a hip replacement in her 80's, would a socialized medicine system even have offered that to someone older?

It would if we want it to

Bullshit

If you have to wait, that costs money too, even if its "free". There is cost in pain pills, costs in lost work if the need for a knee means you can't work, costs of lost opportunities. Of course, those costs vary, depending on how bad the knee is. If a bad knee puts someone in a wheelchair, additional costs of wheelchair grease and batteries is part of it too.

Personally, I would like

DOA

Bullshit

What does the Sanders plan do? Does it guarantee old people prompt Hip Replacements when needed? or does it prioritize Penectomies for guys trying to transition into broads?

Personally, I would like

Only thing I'd change from your list is the drug pricing. Fuck negotiations, peg prices to international averages

Personally, I would like

How about...

More freedom?

Odd how that never rarely a Progressive's list... Once on yours... I'm not sure if you want that to be pointed out or not.

1. Freedom to pick the policy of our choice without government telling us what's good for us.
2. Freedom to buy across state, or international lines.
3. Freedom to get drugs internationally is good.... I would most likely like to see the US and some other countries share the responsibilities in testing.
3a. Tort will have to be fixed. The Ambulance-Chaser's Lobby is deep into the Government Elite's pocket. American companies will go away if international competition is allowed with the anchor of lawsuit abuse around American company's neck, and then we'll be at the mercy of other countries.
4. Freedom not to have insurance, coupled with the responsibility of paying the bill.

Who do you think is going to pay for the "Public Option" Plan?
. What will it cost? (In 100's of $Billions per year)
. Who will determine how much rationing it includes?

It's easier to spend money than save it.. Especially someone else's... Isn't it?

Personally, I would like

Only thing I'd change from your list is the drug pricing. Fuck negotiations, peg prices to international averages

Then, what will be your plan to encourage and fund innovations? Pharmaceutical companies won't be inclined to risk large sums for new drugs that may or may not work- if they aren't going to be able to make bank on it when they have a breakout star that makes the big time.

Will government bureaucrats be the ones to make the decision on this?

On what basis will they make those decisions?

Bullshit

I have insurance and six months of pain is not “free”. Plus we have better doctors here so my answer is NO

Personally, I would like

Then, what will be your plan to encourage and fund innovations? Pharmaceutical companies won't be inclined to risk large sums for new drugs that may or may not work- if they aren't going to be able to make bank on it when they have a breakout star that makes the big time.

Will government bureaucrats be the ones to make the decision on this?

On what basis will they make those decisions?
Sales to the world, just like they do now.

Bullshit

What does the Sanders plan do? Does it guarantee old people prompt Hip Replacements when needed? or does it prioritize Penectomies for guys trying to transition into broads?
Hip replacements are not emergency surgery. But imagine getting one for free
The percentage of people who get gender changing surgery is so small that it would have minimal impact

Forum List

Back