What was the WORST car you have owned

View attachment 279309

Mine was black with that,nobody loves me look as well. It had no power steering or brakes and after a year of driving it, I was a long skinny kid with Popeye arms..

Sure .. people pointed and laughed but it prepared me for posting in Politics and the Flame Zone at the good ol USMB..
Those oldies were great. Also kept the arms in shape and one leg if you had a clutch. Hopefully you had an emergency brake.

Wow RodlSHI .. :twirl:.. I'm really glad to see you Darlin and I'm still wishing you all the best..

I learned how to be a mechanic pretty quickly thanks to that truck and as I recall the emergency brake was the only thing that worked when I bought it for $ 50 bucks.

It's funny, I went through a lot of vehicles back then and now I watch the car auctions on TV and kick myself (not easy at this point) for not keeping and storing most every one of them..
:11_2_1043:Glad to see you too Lumpy.

My dad was into selling ones I had stored at their place so I finally gave up trying to keep the oldies. Had a 1939 Ford pickup that needed some work, a 65' Mustang convertible, also a 63' Caddy convertible. Supposedly the 67' caddy conv I learned to drive in is still out there stored. My nephew says it is but.... Sold my 71' Powerwagon last year to get the property taxes paid. Had that one around since 1977-78 (can't recall which). It ran but needed a bit more than us old people wanted to do on it. That was the best ole truck. It had every V-8 Dodge made in it at one time or another. I'd wear the ole engines out and Rod would put in whatever we could get for cheap in it to keep it on the road until we got to a point we could afford something else. Rod's deal is the old muscle cars. He still had the titles on ones that disappeared while he was in the USAF. We heard recently the one that he was told was crush but he knew it wasn't cause he seen it on leave is in someones barn around here.

View attachment 279309

Mine was black with that,nobody loves me look as well. It had no power steering or brakes and after a year of driving it, I was a long skinny kid with Popeye arms..

Sure .. people pointed and laughed but it prepared me for posting in Politics and the Flame Zone at the good ol USMB..
Those oldies were great. Also kept the arms in shape and one leg if you had a clutch. Hopefully you had an emergency brake.

Wow RodlSHI .. :twirl:.. I'm really glad to see you Darlin and I'm still wishing you all the best..

I learned how to be a mechanic pretty quickly thanks to that truck and as I recall the emergency brake was the only thing that worked when I bought it for $ 50 bucks.

It's funny, I went through a lot of vehicles back then and now I watch the car auctions on TV and kick myself (not easy at this point) for not keeping and storing most every one of them..

My dad was into selling ones I had stored at their place so I finally gave up trying to keep the oldies. Had a 1939 Ford pickup that needed some work, a 65' Mustang convertible, also a 63' Caddy convertible. Supposedly the 67' caddy conv I learned to drive in is still out there stored. My nephew says it is but.... Sold my 71' Powerwagon last year to get the property taxes paid. Had that one around since 1977-78 (can't recall which). It ran but needed a bit more than us old people wanted to do on it. That was the best ole truck. It had every V-8 Dodge made in it at one time or another. I'd wear the ole engines out and Rod would put in whatever we could get for cheap in it to keep it on the road until we got to a point we could afford something else. Rod's deal is the old muscle cars. He still had the titles on ones that disappeared while he was in the USAF. We heard recently the one that he was told was crush but he knew it wasn't cause he seen it on leave is in someones barn around here.

Wow, it sounds like a wonder filled life you've had/have going on there RodISHI, I'm down to a 95 Mustang convertible that I just can't seem to part with but I sure miss a lot of the old cars I knuckle busted on.

View attachment 279309

Wow, it sounds like a wonder filled life you've had/have going on there RodISHI, I'm down to a 95 Mustang convertible that I just can't seem to part with but I sure miss a lot of the old cars I knuckle busted on.
I've got a Buick Regal. Love this lil car but I hit a huge Possum and a very deep pothole last time in KC and did in the rack and pinion. Would fix that but a deer hit me while down taking groceries to the Amish a few years ago. Oh' wells that's life. Hopefully something will come up as I still have a few surgeries needed and gotta drive farther than I would want to drive the Buick now.

I remember those got pretty descent write ups in car magazines. Was yours a lemon?

Coulda been. I ended up pushing it more than I drove it. So, I just left it one day. Never saw or heard about it again. I signed the title and left it in the glove box.
Man, pushing a broke down car, popping the clutch to get it started... fuck the worst times.

Well, maybes somebody got that XR4TI with the signed title and made somthin' of it. Who knows. Good story, though!

I have had many cars that were reputed to be junk, yet I had good luck with most of them...Chrysler LeBaron turbo (2), Cimarron, Pacifica, PT Cruiser. In my early married life I had three Fiats that were total junk. I had a friend who could do some repair work for cheap, but the body rust killed all three of them. I had a 3-year old 850 Spyder, and the FIAT DEALER refused to even look at it for state inspection. Said it was almost certainly unsafe to drive due to a rusty undercarriage.

I'm happy to see that FIAT is again going home with its figurative tail between its legs. How do they do so well in Europe with such junk?

View attachment 279309

I've got a Buick Regal. Love this lil car but I hit a huge Possum and a very deep pothole last time in KC and did in the rack and pinion. Would fix that but a deer hit me while down taking groceries to the Amish a few years ago. Oh' wells that's life. Hopefully something will come up as I still have a few surgeries needed and gotta drive farther than I would want to drive the Buick now.

I'm praying for you my friend that the surgeries go well and the dust settles at happiness.. Keep in touch if you please, I seem to be posting more often these days.

mmm .. my "s" key on this laptop is working part time, it's starting to tick me off... :mad:

I was stationed in Hawai'i, my first duty station and I made THE WORST CHOICE, EVER.... Dodge Aries K.
Underpowered, heavy and nothing but trouble.
See above... Stationed in Hawai'i.... And the freeze plugs fell out of the motor..
Took me over 25 years to even consider another Dodge product.
Good lord what was Iacocca thinking....
Oh wow, too bad. My retired military Pops bought a 4 speed manual Dodge K wagon in the 80s. Man he drove the piss out of that thing like a sports car. Good times.

Your Pops maybhave had the exception to the rule as far as thise K cars go.... I swear, you couldn't run neither fast nor far enough to give me one.... And most people I know that had one feel the same way.
That being said... The K cars single handedly allowed Chrysler to pay their bills... But jeeze, the dang things couldn't get out of their own way.

View attachment 279309

Apache? If given to me, I would totally want to restore that.

think i had a ford tempo when i was like 16 lol
OMG, this thing? I rented one of these, dogged the piss out of it and left it with a burned out transmission for Avis to pick up.

About that era those suckers were known for tyranny failures.
I remember seeing adds for used ones and all of them stated rebuilt transmission.
Most of them had less than 75K on them.:21:

View attachment 279309

Apache? If given to me, I would totally want to restore that.

Yup, if I still had it, it would be restored already. :eusa_doh:

2000 Volvo S70.

I absolutely loathed that car and was delighted to walk away from it when the repair bill was going to exceed its value.

I've owned hundreds of crappy cars because I used to own a controlling interest in a boneyard.

But as far as personal cars, I think my 1979 Thunderbird was the worst. It was a good looking car and drove well. But there was a couple of "incidences".

One day I dropped by a carryout and left the car running. When I came out of the store I saw that somebody had backed my car into a concrete wall. My 5 kids insisted that it did it all by itself. I didn't believe them for a millisecond. I figured they were probably horsing around and somebody accidentally knocked it into reverse. And since nobody got hurt and there was no damage to speak of, I thought it best to leave it unsolved rather than endure the drama of a finger-pointing blame game. No harm, no foul.

Then one cold winter morning a year later I started the car to warm it up in the driveway and went back into the house to finish my breakfast. I looked out the window and saw it backing out of the driveway and thought somebody was stealing it. And since I didn't see anyone inside I was afraid that some mischievous little kid on his way to school saw the car running and decided to go for a joy ride. So I ran outside, and watched it back into the street and get T-boned. I ran up to the car and there was nobody in it. WTF?

When the cop showed up I told him what happened, thinking he was never going to believe me and I was going to get cited. To my surprise, he not only believed me, he also said they had several incidences when their Crown Vics from that era did the same thing and he didn't cite me for the accident. He cited the lady who hit it with speeding in a school zone.

If a car jumps into gear and drives away on it's own, it's a pretty shitty car.

Last edited:
American made ones.....the worst ones were Ford Torino, Ford Granada, Plymouth Acclaim......with secondary honors to Ford Aerostar.

Ford Windstar. It was two years old when I bought it. Two years later we could barely roll it into the dealer to trade it in.

I have owned a lot of cars in my lifetime, without a doubt the worst ever was a 1980 Chevy Citation.
I lost my ass on this car. I drove it for about 6 months with nothing but trouble. Overheat, would stall constantly when the temps would dip much below freezing.
I am embarrassed to this day to even say I owned one.

Looked similar to this one... ugly to boot.

View attachment 278999

1963 Plymouth valiant

This. '85 Daytona Turbo Z. Fast and fun, but a complete rattle trap. Never bought another chrysler product after that.

1985-dodge-daytona-turbo-z-68971-original-miles-1.JPG

I have owned a lot of cars in my lifetime, without a doubt the worst ever was a 1980 Chevy Citation.
I lost my ass on this car. I drove it for about 6 months with nothing but trouble. Overheat, would stall constantly when the temps would dip much below freezing.
I am embarrassed to this day to even say I owned one.

Looked similar to this one... ugly to boot.

View attachment 278999

1963 Plymouth valiant
I had a '65. Loved that thing! 4 door, 3 on the tree, and that slant 6 would start even if the temp outside was absolute zero lol

1994 Ford Explorer - had to replace about everything on the car, motor, transmission, brakes every 6 months, the car was just not reliable

Forum List

Back