What was the WORST car you have owned

American made ones.....the worst ones were Ford Torino, Ford Granada, Plymouth Acclaim......with secondary honors to Ford Aerostar.
My dad had a Ford Granada and it had the most unconfortable seats I have ever sat on in a car

This. '85 Daytona Turbo Z. Fast and fun, but a complete rattle trap. Never bought another chrysler product after that.

1985-dodge-daytona-turbo-z-68971-original-miles-1.JPG
Hey, did they drop a hemi in that pig?

This. '85 Daytona Turbo Z. Fast and fun, but a complete rattle trap. Never bought another chrysler product after that.

lol it was a glorified Omni. 2.2 turbo. it was pretty quick. But it ate wheel bearings on an annual basis. and it rattled like a garbage disposal full of nickels.
Wait, it was an Omni/Horizon with a 4 banger? OMG, and a shitty ancient turbo?

lol it was a glorified Omni. 2.2 turbo. it was pretty quick. But it ate wheel bearings on an annual basis. and it rattled like a garbage disposal full of nickels.
Wait, it was an Omni/Horizon with a 4 banger? OMG, and a shitty ancient turbo?
WHAT I SAID

I have owned a lot of cars in my lifetime, without a doubt the worst ever was a 1980 Chevy Citation.
I lost my ass on this car. I drove it for about 6 months with nothing but trouble. Overheat, would stall constantly when the temps would dip much below freezing.
I am embarrassed to this day to even say I owned one.

Looked similar to this one... ugly to boot.

View attachment 278999

B2000 Mazda Pickup Truck, 1986 I believe.

mazda-b2000-1986-1.jpg

But my 86 horse power, yet still only 17 MPG, truck was *EVEN BETTER* than this one. The back gate had rusted off, and they replaced it with a "Pro Net" which covered the tail, and had a tear in the net right where the word Pro was, which made it comical.

What made my ownership of this gem of human engineering, even more endearing, was that this was my first vehicle, when I was still in high school. My high school was in an upper middle class area, so I often got to park next to Mustangs, BMWs, and Camaros.

Yes, I was the hip style-ing at school, with that girl magnet "Pr (rip) Net" 80s Mazda Truck, next to those boring Mercedes.

81 Mustang Coupe. Essentially a go-cart powered by a four-cylinder sewing machine motor. Was a cheap go-between, quickly dumped. My first and only attempt at being green.

Coupe2.jpg

I was in shock when I found out they made 4-cyl Mustangs.... that's.... just wrong somehow.
My parents bought me a used one after high school.
They must have hated me.

0 to 60 in about 3 minutes. Most parts were interchangeable with the Pinto.

81 Mustang Coupe. Essentially a go-cart powered by a four-cylinder sewing machine motor. Was a cheap go-between, quickly dumped. My first and only attempt at being green.

Coupe2.jpg

I was in shock when I found out they made 4-cyl Mustangs.... that's.... just wrong somehow.
My parents bought me a used one after high school.
They must have hated me.

0 to 60 in about 3 minutes. Most parts were interchangeable with the Pinto.

Yeah, but only when going down hill.

The worst car I did not own.... was a loner car from the insurance company after I got re-ended. I can't remember what Ford brand it was, but it was horrific. It was like a 3-cyl that was only running on 2-cyl. I tried to get to work, had it floored all the way up the on-ramp, and then got passed by a school bus, and then a city transit bus.... all while still having it floored.

I think I did actually reach 60 mph somewhere between home and work on that 10 minute drive.

The worst car i’ve owned is my first car, I was 21 “young and dum” £550 a fortune.
I foolishly bought a car from a friend of a colleague at work, little did I know it had been used to tow heavy caravans.
It was a Racing green colour Morris Marina saloon 1.7GL with a gold seal reconditioned engine.:(
I could overtake any car within reason in 3rd gear, but stopping the bitch I’d have to put my foot out of the door to help. The brakes were useless, in a wind on a highway she’d go sideways. I eventually wrote it off one winter when I skidded in the ice and went sideways into a farmers stone wall.
That accident probably saved me from death from normal driving, looking back it was a death trap.

Coupe2.jpg

U guess Ford didn't learn anything in the 4 years between my 1977 Mustang and yours.

Mine looked smaller. Worst 4 cylinder engine ever! I think it should have said Briggs & Stratton on the side of the block. Terrible car.

The year is 1982... Location is Anchorage, Alaska... I have been in Alaska for 3 weeks and working 2 jobs... Hitchhiking and using the shoesole express for transportation... Finally throw enough bucks together to buy the car below (or a reasonable facsimile)… Gave $600.00 very hard earned dollars for this pos... Was driving down to a gas station with a mechanic to have it checked out for a few items I knew was wrong...
Lady pulled up along side of me and started yelling 'FIRE, Fire'... I looked out my inside rearview mirror and seen little puddles of flames in my trail... I pulled over in the center median (grass) and got out of the car... Went to the hood and started to open and thought to myself STOP... I backed up and watched the car burn and some fellow asked if I needed a ride... The Fire Department was on the way as I could hear the sirens... It was a cash deal and my name was not related to the car at all so I took the title with me and hopped into the fellars truck, never to see the car again...

1972-AMC-Matador-4Dr-fvl.jpg

1972 AMC Matador 4Door Sedan

A 1968 Opel GT. Went through clutches like other cars went through a tank of gas. Sexy as hell, but an engineering disaster. The one passenger who could ride in the back seat sat on the gas tank. It rode so low to the ground that you had to climb out of it.

In second place, a 1993 Saturn SC2. at 30,000 miles, it was burning a quart of oil per gas tank fill. It had an air scoop under the grill that was necessary to keep the underpowered 4 cy engine from over heating. Every time you parked it too close to a concrete parking stop bar, it was ripped off of the car.

Last edited:
I have owned a lot of cars in my lifetime, without a doubt the worst ever was a 1980 Chevy Citation.
I lost my ass on this car. I drove it for about 6 months with nothing but trouble. Overheat, would stall constantly when the temps would dip much below freezing.
I am embarrassed to this day to even say I owned one.

Looked similar to this one... ugly to boot.

View attachment 278999

I had a Ford Focus station wagon I bought new that was the worst lemon I've ever owned.

It was a 1985 Chrysler Laser:

ebay1002930.jpg

It was a truly horrible automobile. It was supposed to be Chrylser's answer to the Camaro and, well, it just wasn't. The reclining mechanism on the driver's seat broke and I couldn't afford a new one, so I used an empty cooler to hold it upright so I could drive it. I replaced the shift cable in it twice. I ended up selling it for $450 to a guy in San Diego, just to get it out of my driveway.

This remains the only brand new car I've ever owned...

Forum List

Back