What was the WORST car you have owned

I have owned a lot of cars in my lifetime, without a doubt the worst ever was a 1980 Chevy Citation.
I lost my ass on this car. I drove it for about 6 months with nothing but trouble. Overheat, would stall constantly when the temps would dip much below freezing.
I am embarrassed to this day to even say I owned one.

Looked similar to this one... ugly to boot.

View attachment 278999

Lol

I had the two door hatch back, bought it brand new, hated it, but then my company bought me the station wagon model..that was a fun little car and got me everywhere in the Midwest.

a 1976 ford pinto.

it only had about 75K miles on it, but by the time i got rid of it, there was a whole in the floor on the front passenger side, ( i put a cookie sheet under the rug to cover it ) - went thru a qt of oil a week - every time i went up a steep hill, it would overheat. - & it wouldn't go in reverse. i got $25 bucks as a trade in cause the dealer was impressed i drove it like that for about a year.

You're lucky it didn't collapse. This was the first years of the uni body frames. Before they figured out how to do it without the car literally rusting to pieces.

hmmm - i didn't know that but did know about the exploding gas tanks... as far as the hole, i went thru a puddle one day & noticed a wet spot on the floor, reached down to feel it & my whole hand went right down to the pavement. but it was free- my father gave it to me, it was my first car i wasn't gonna turn it down.
In post #6 - you can see I had a '74 Mercury Comet. Essentially the Mercury version of the Maverick. Under-powered, I remember I had to be careful when steering a sharp turn as the wheel would sometimes "lock" in position instead of spin back. Mine also rusted in the floor board. But my hole was in the floor board behind the drivers seat.

a 1976 ford pinto.

it only had about 75K miles on it, but by the time i got rid of it, there was a whole in the floor on the front passenger side, ( i put a cookie sheet under the rug to cover it ) - went thru a qt of oil a week - every time i went up a steep hill, it would overheat. - & it wouldn't go in reverse. i got $25 bucks as a trade in cause the dealer was impressed i drove it like that for about a year.

You're lucky it didn't collapse. This was the first years of the uni body frames. Before they figured out how to do it without the car literally rusting to pieces.

hmmm - i didn't know that but did know about the exploding gas tanks... as far as the hole, i went thru a puddle one day & noticed a wet spot on the floor, reached down to feel it & my whole hand went right down to the pavement. but it was free- my father gave it to me, it was my first car i wasn't gonna turn it down.

Your stinky feet burned a hole right through it, huh?

a 1976 ford pinto.

Your stinky feet burned a hole right through it, huh?

d89vw9a-63f9324a-584f-4cb0-9af3-a42c4216bb11.gif

I was stationed in Hawai'i, my first duty station and I made THE WORST CHOICE, EVER.... Dodge Aries K.
Underpowered, heavy and nothing but trouble.
See above... Stationed in Hawai'i.... And the freeze plugs fell out of the motor..
Took me over 25 years to even consider another Dodge product.
Good lord what was Iacocca thinking....

a 1976 ford pinto.

In post #6 - you can see I had a '74 Mercury Comet. Essentially the Mercury version of the Maverick. Under-powered, I remember I had to be careful when steering a sharp turn as the wheel would sometimes "lock" in position instead of spin back. Mine also rusted in the floor board. But my hole was in the floor board behind the drivers seat.

The Comet was the Mercury version of the Ford Maverick introduced in 1969 for $1995 base price. The Bobcat was the Mercury version of the Pinto.

By far the worse most troublesome car I've ever bought was a 2008 P.T. Cruiser that we bought for my oldest daughter when she graduated High school, total junk, a heavier 1950's version of a Chrysler Neon. The one car in my life I truly hated, and to think the only reason I bought it was because that is what she wanted.

81 Mustang Coupe. Essentially a go-cart powered by a four-cylinder sewing machine motor. Was a cheap go-between, quickly dumped. My first and only attempt at being green.

Coupe2.jpg
I had a 74 Mustang 2.
A mustang body on a Pinto.
4 cylinders with the power of a 5hp lawnmower.

70's Mazda with a rotary engine. The only decent thing about it was it was light enough I could push it to get it started on a flat. It didn't have enough compression to run unless it was push started.

I have to add a 91 Hyundai Elantra.
Two timing belts, then tyranny failed. Thing had a host of issues.

Will never buy a four cylinder with a damn snowmobile belt for timing ever again.

81 Mustang Coupe. Essentially a go-cart powered by a four-cylinder sewing machine motor. Was a cheap go-between, quickly dumped. My first and only attempt at being green.
I had a 74 Mustang 2.
A mustang body on a Pinto.
4 cylinders with the power of a 5hp lawnmower.

My favorite all time car EVER is the 69 Mustang Mach 1. A damn work of art. Absolutely beautiful.
I honestly think it should be a federal crime punishable by firing squad for Ford to make a Mustang with anything less than a turbo V6.

To think that THIS...

mach.jpg

Was followed by THIS!!... just 3 years later. WTF??

mus2.jpg

Another disappointing car I owned was a 1982 Silver Trans Am...a fake "muscle" car.
Sure it had a V8 and looked sporty, but it was heavy and drove like your Grandma's Buick. It ran good, I had zero mechanical issues with it, but it was basically a sedan pretending to be a sports car.
My next car mentioned in the "Best Car" thread, was the Mustang GT that left this thing in it's dust.

Trans.jpg

a 1976 ford pinto.

Lucky you found it that way. When I was a kid I had a '76 Trans Am and found the hole on the passenger side floorboard while I went through a puddle too. But I was going about 80mph and it didn't just get the carpet wet. The force of the dirty salty ice cold water blew a hole in the carpet and went right in my face, temporarily blinding me. I was drenched.

It sucks to be blinded like that while you're going 80mph.

The lady I delivered the Dominoes pizza to gave me a towel to dry off my head.

Last edited:
A 1971 AMC Pacer. Hands down! :11:

71%20Pacer-S.jpg

OMG!!!.... you actually drove one of these??
And you admit it??? :D

HystericallyLaughingmanandboy-Th.gif

It was like driving a fishbowl!

I sold it and the guy called me a few months later to complain that it had the wrong carburetor! Hey, it ran pretty well after the change!

I inherited a worse one. A 1976 Olds Diesel! My Ol' Man was a mechanic and had bought it more as a novelty. He and another mechanic rebuilt the engine. It had over 200 thousand miles and was impossible to start when hot. Just backward! After the rebuild, it was still impossible to start when hot except with a shot of starter fluid. I know!

He had made arrangements to trade it for a new Cadillac in 1982 when he died, leaving it to my Mom who hated the car. I traded it, straight up, for a simple Ford at the Ford dealership. It sat on their lot for two years before they sold it, with an extended warranty. The engine blew a month later and they had to replace the engine. A month later the FBI called to ask about the car. Apparently, when my Ol' Man and the other guy rebuilt the engine, they sort of turned back the odometer to about 45,000 miles. A Federal offense. I explained to them that he was dead. End of story. The Ford ran great for many, many years. I finally donated it to a charity from which someone bought it (ac did not work) and she drove it for years.

I had a 73 Vega GT, it was a fun car but in 2 years it rusted away to the point that when you closed the doors rusted metal would fall into the street. The absolute worst car I had was a 94 Ford Explorer. It went through brakes every 6 months, the engine blew up and the transmission failed. I would not but another Ford because of it. At least with the Vega it was reliable.

I have owned a lot of cars in my lifetime, without a doubt the worst ever was a 1980 Chevy Citation.
I lost my ass on this car. I drove it for about 6 months with nothing but trouble. Overheat, would stall constantly when the temps would dip much below freezing.
I am embarrassed to this day to even say I owned one.

Looked similar to this one... ugly to boot.

View attachment 278999

A 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix. The biggest piece of shit and lemon to ever roll off of a car lot. It's the car that helped convince me to swear off of American cars for life. At no time during my ownership of that lemon did everything work at once. Even the radio was a piece of crap. The transmission was replaced day one in less than 24 hours of my taking it home. The saleman had to replace a split vacuum hose before I could even get the POS off the lot. The list is long of all the stuff that was wrong or went wrong with that POS and GM didn't give a crap so I've made sure they never get another chance to unload another lemon and POS on me.
Gawd damn it! I swear I am laughing so hard! How many times did you call it a POS in your post? LOL! I feel for ya brother! LMAO!

Forum List

Back