What Really Happens When You Don't Separate Church and State

apologize for what?

the religious right has huge influence here. we're not a theocracy either.

and i can't apologize for your stupidity and nastiness since i'm not responsible for you. :thup:

loser. :cuckoo:

it so must suck being you.

as for your crickets, oh brain dead one... i got my son ready for his first day of school and wasn't back.

you don't really think you were important enough for me to look for your posts, do you?

:lol:

damn, you're stupid.

I keep asking you to name a single main stream Christian organization that advocates a theocracy.

Read and be enlightened. Dominionism and the Rise of Christian Imperialism

It doesn't.
FAIL.

Jillian the lefty again plays the scare card.
fwiw, this country had no separation of church and state for many years. Yes, the federal gov't could not impose tests. But states could. And did.
It isn't the mere act of religion informing the state that makes for horrors. It is the particular religion, the particular state, and the culture of the people involved.
For what happens when the state is devoid of religion, look at the Soviet Union, Albania, China, etc etc.

And for many years this country supported segregation. For many years this country did not support suffrage.

fwiw, this country had no separation of church and state for many years. Yes, the federal gov't could not impose tests. But states could. And did.
It isn't the mere act of religion informing the state that makes for horrors. It is the particular religion, the particular state, and the culture of the people involved.
For what happens when the state is devoid of religion, look at the Soviet Union, Albania, China, etc etc.

And for many years this country supported segregation. For many years this country did not support suffrage.

For many years Britain tortured and maimed Indians. For many years France committed atrocities in Africa. For many years Belgium slaughtered Africans.
What is your point here??

For many years Britain tortured and maimed Indians. For many years France committed atrocities in Africa. For many years Belgium slaughtered Africans.

Alright, a different angle, what happened to said countries that were "devoid" of religion?

Alright, a different angle, what happened to said countries that were "devoid" of religion?
and what countries were those?

The U. S. Government was founded on atheism.

no. it wasn't that either....

most of the founders were deists. even if they were atheists, it wouldn't have been something discussed in polite company in those days by anyone who wanted to succeed politically.

your comment is no more accurate than the people who say it is a christian country.

The U. S. Government was founded on atheism.

no. it wasn't that either....

most of the founders were deists. even if they were atheists, it wouldn't have been something discussed in polite company in those days by anyone who wanted to succeed politically.

your comment is no more accurate than the people who say it is a christian country.

Most of them? LOL so now the left has gone in a few short years from Claiming Jefferson was a Deists To claiming "Most of the founders" were. Sorry Most of the founders were Christians. No amount of Revisionist History will change that. Simply read the works. Most of them published many papers and writings in their life. If you look all over those and still decide Most of them were Deists you are bent in the head.

Oh, for shame, JScott that you would slaughter a cognitive defunct like The Rabbi.

That is an annotation required by law for filing. It is not part of the governing charter of the land. Honest, logical4u, where were you educated?

If they were interested in having the Lord removed from the government, they could have used a different calendar (say the Roman one, the "society" many secularists claim the founding fathers used as a "sole" model). If that "annotation" was required "by law" and this was essentially "the first law" why did they include it?

Please keep doing your spin, it just makes you silly.

You are uneducated. The annotation as such was required by law. Do you understand that? Do you understand there were no other alternatives?

They were setting up the country. They could have started up their own calendar. They had choices, but as Christians, they "chose" to use the Lord as the foundation for their time. There was a Roman, Jewish, Arabian, Chinese and other calendars at that time. Why did they pick that one, if they did not want the "Lord" involved in the country? Why did they say that the rights stated in the Bill of Rights was endowed by the Creator? Do you really think they were referring to some primordial soup? Come on, be a big boy, use the gray matter between your ears.

God is not mentioned in the Constitution, no religious test oaths are permitted, the first amendment prevents a national church, and Jefferson clearly pointed out (the real originalist) that church and state are separated.

Article VII : "done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independance of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names"

In the year of "our" LORD. Guess you are wrong.

I bet you didn't know the Convention never voted on whether or not to put those words in the Constitution.

The statement was: "God is not mentioned in the Constitution, no religious test oaths are permitted, the first amendment prevents a national church, and Jefferson clearly pointed out (the real originalist) that church and state are separated."

What is your.... point?

They killed MILLIONS?????

Article VII : "done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independance of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names"

In the year of "our" LORD. Guess you are wrong.

I bet you didn't know the Convention never voted on whether or not to put those words in the Constitution.

The statement was: "God is not mentioned in the Constitution, no religious test oaths are permitted, the first amendment prevents a national church, and Jefferson clearly pointed out (the real originalist) that church and state are separated."

What is your.... point?

Let me belabor the point for you. Who is Jefferson? If his ideas of a god were to be included, apparently it had no affect on other members. He is just one voice in the wilderness. What did sweet cheeks Jenny the bar maid have to say about it?

I think some are missing a fundamental point. Islam is more than just a religion. It is a culture and way of life. I don't think it's as simple as "separating" church and state when the customs, traditions, and laws are embedded into every aspect of their lives.

We in the West see religion as a part-time obligation. Go to church on Sunday, donate a portion of money to the poor box, go home and forget about it until next Sunday. It's easy to "separate" church and state under these circumstances to the point that we get all wrapped around the axle because someone erected a Nativity scene in front of city hall.

I don't advocate a theocracy and think it's a good thing that we separate church and state (up to a point: I think the whole city hall Nativity scene debate is childish and stupid). However, I think that it's pretty arrogant of us to think that countries like Iran, Syria and Saudi Arabia can simply decide to separate church and state overnight. Their societies have to evolve over time to reach that point.

Perhaps the solution is to set up more McDonalds, Wal-Marts and Blockbuster Videos in those countries to speed up the process.

Bulcrap....Christianity is also a way of life and a culture. Celebrating the birth of Christ...treating our enemies as we do our friends...giving what we can to others....yeah, there are some sunday only Christians...but most aren't like that. Like I said when I joined the coffee thread, I carry my religion with me everywhere.....I show my religion in every thing I do....and btw, I seldom go to church on Sunday.

The problem is that Islam is not only a violent religion, it's a controlling one and they are controlling the government. They are every bit as bad as the Spanish Inquisition and we can all agree that that was wrong. I do not understand anybody defending these practices of the Muslims....for ANY reason.

Forum List

Back