What, No More Dinging the F-35?

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
To date, the Production F-35A has wiped the floor with it's detractors. This is the one that makes up the majority of the orders world wide. And it's hitting about 85 mil a copy right now. Considering in the most recent war games, the F-35A record against the F-15E (110 mil a copy) is 8 to zip in air to air when the rules are removed just like it would be in real combat.

If they fly the F-35A V A-10 where they remove the rules, there will be about the same outcome. The F-35A will attack from a longer range, higher altitude and be just as accurate. If the conditions are that you can take the A-10 down on the deck, the AC-130 can do the job and do it better. The AC-130 will make only a partial orbit and in a few seconds take out all the targets. The only viable argument for the A-10 is the Pilots. They are CAS trained to the Nth degree. The counter to that is, the AF is going to do a one for one squadron change from the A-10 to the F-35 which moves those CAS A-10 Pilots into new F-35As.

How many times has the USAF tried to replace the A-10, only to find the replacements are not fit for the job? Why would the F-35A be any different?

• Banned
How many times has the USAF tried to replace the A-10, only to find the replacements are not fit for the job? Why would the F-35A be any different?

After the flyoff that the A-10 will assuredly lose as badly as the F-16, Tornado, Lightning and even the F-15E the reasons will all be removed. Plus, there won't be nearly the political support in Washington as there is now for the A-10. It's going to be quite difficult for the A-10 will be to hit it's targets AFTER the F-35A has already taken it out. The new SDB made for the F-35A, B and C can hit ground targets within feet from 55 miles away and 40 thousand in altitude. This is also being intragrated into the Buff, B-1 and B-2 along with the F-16, F-18, F-15 and F-22. The F-22 can sling that bomb even further and faster since it can do it in super cruise of over twice the speed of the fastest 4.X fighter and even the F-35. Just get that target painted no matter whether it's another AC or a SF on the ground.

It's been quite known for some time that the F-35A needs (From the A-10) the Pilots, support people, supply system etc.. It's coming whether you or anyone else likes it and it looks like it's coming much sooner than you care to admit.

It's been quite known for some time that the F-35A needs (From the A-10) the Pilots, support people, supply system etc.. It's coming whether you or anyone else likes it and it looks like it's coming much sooner than you care to admit.

Then my truest hope is that the A-10 pilots and crews retire, resign their commissions or decline to re-enlist if forced to use the new aircraft.

From what I've read and seen, the ground troops are far more comfortable with the A-10's than any other CAS aircraft they've had overhead to date. Of course the DOD and JCOS don't give a shit what the troops prefer, but that's nothing new.

This thread showed up in the "active topics" area on the right side of the screen/page. Who's dinging the F35? Why? Who cares?

BMW F35 (Long Wheelbase 3-Series)

800px-Long-wheelbase_BMW_3_Series_%28F35%29%2C_side_view.jpg

To date, the Production F-35A has wiped the floor with it's detractors. This is the one that makes up the majority of the orders world wide. And it's hitting about 85 mil a copy right now. Considering in the most recent war games, the F-35A record against the F-15E (110 mil a copy) is 8 to zip in air to air when the rules are removed just like it would be in real combat.

If they fly the F-35A V A-10 where they remove the rules, there will be about the same outcome. The F-35A will attack from a longer range, higher altitude and be just as accurate. If the conditions are that you can take the A-10 down on the deck, the AC-130 can do the job and do it better. The AC-130 will make only a partial orbit and in a few seconds take out all the targets. The only viable argument for the A-10 is the Pilots. They are CAS trained to the Nth degree. The counter to that is, the AF is going to do a one for one squadron change from the A-10 to the F-35 which moves those CAS A-10 Pilots into new F-35As.
Unfortunately Spookys are not as plentiful as A-10s,,,and therefore can only be so many places at one time.....ergo if you have a real war you are short on help....ooooopsss........F-35 still groundbound waiting for all its fixes.....ooooops

• Banned

Then my truest hope is that the A-10 pilots and crews retire, resign their commissions or decline to re-enlist if forced to use the new aircraft.

If they AF had rocket powered broom sticks they would fly.

From what I've read and seen, the ground troops are far more comfortable with the A-10's than any other CAS aircraft they've had overhead to date. Of course the DOD and JCOS don't give a shit what the troops prefer, but that's nothing new.

The A-10 still has a problem with Blue on Blue and Blue on Green mishaps. With both sides using the same equipment most of the time, the chance of this happening is too high. That means the A-10 will also be at least 20K in altitude and at least 10 miles away to fire it's weapons. Imagine how wonderful the grunt will feel when he calls in for an airstrike and it comes in within feet of where he painted it. He may be surprised but think the panic on the other side. It doesn't matter who drops the weapon anymore.

• Banned

Unfortunately Spookys are not as plentiful as A-10s,,,and therefore can only be so many places at one time.....ergo if you have a real war you are short on help....ooooopsss........F-35 still groundbound waiting for all its fixes.....ooooops

The F-35B is already operational. The F-35A is within a month of going operational. Again, you are taking ALL versions of the F-35 including the AF-2 to represent the F-35A which has the fixes and has won every flyoff it's been subjected to against other AC. The only fighter it hasn't been flown against and kicked ass is the F-22. Can't wait to see that flyoff.

There is also only a few A-10s as well. We don't need 10 or 20. We need hundreds. And with the grand total of the A-10 in service at less than 300,. you can't have hundreds. It still has the original mission it was designed for and that is even more critical if you keep them in the inventory. Just remember, for every A-10 kept in the inventory that means you will have one less F-35A in service.

The F-35B is already operational. The F-35A is within a month of going operational. Again, you are taking ALL versions of the F-35 including the AF-2 to represent the F-35A which has the fixes and has won every flyoff it's been subjected to against other AC. The only fighter it hasn't been flown against and kicked ass is the F-22. Can't wait to see that flyoff.

There is also only a few A-10s as well. We don't need 10 or 20. We need hundreds. And with the grand total of the A-10 in service at less than 300,. you can't have hundreds. It still has the original mission it was designed for and that is even more critical if you keep them in the inventory. Just remember, for every A-10 kept in the inventory that means you will have one less F-35A in service.
riiigghhhtttttt......let me know when it does more than fly around and look pretty

riiigghhhtttttt......let me know when it does more than fly around and look pretty

We already did. And we have referred to the Pilots that fly them from all around the world. This is why the F-35A is going operational in about a month instead of 2018 like it was projected.

You must be an ultra red republican who is still arguing Benghazi.

True, and I might prefer the guy on the broomstick supporting get me than the guy flying a computer. I've seen far more computers fail than broomsticks.

The A-10 still has a problem with Blue on Blue and Blue on Green mishaps. With both sides using the same equipment most of the time, the chance of this happening is too high. That means the A-10 will also be at least 20K in altitude and at least 10 miles away to fire it's weapons. Imagine how wonderful the grunt will feel when he calls in for an airstrike and it comes in within feet of where he painted it. He may be surprised but think the panic on the other side. It doesn't matter who drops the weapon anymore.

Honestly, I disagree that the grunts won't believe it makes a big difference. Blue on Blue events will always occur. It's called the fog of war. I'd still rather be supported by guys willing to come down to 500 feet and make a gun run when I need Danger Close support than guys flying around at 25K feet telling me they can't release ordinance because there isn't enough space between my unit and the bad guys.

We already did. And we have referred to the Pilots that fly them from all around the world. This is why the F-35A is going operational in about a month instead of 2018 like it was projected.

You must be an ultra red republican who is still arguing Benghazi.
Yes they fly them around completing testing looking pretty......not one combat mission yet......

True, and I might prefer the guy on the broomstick supporting get me than the guy flying a computer. I've seen far more computers fail than broomsticks.

Honestly, I disagree that the grunts won't believe it makes a big difference. Blue on Blue events will always occur. It's called the fog of war. I'd still rather be supported by guys willing to come down to 500 feet and make a gun run when I need Danger Close support than guys flying around at 25K feet telling me they can't release ordinance because there isn't enough space between my unit and the bad guys.

The last time that was required, the A-10 couldn't safely get below the fog. It took a F-15E flying nap of the earth to get the job done. The A-10 lacks the TFR to do that job. If the visibility is higher than that then almost anything can do the job because the SFs can now paint the target. If the SF can see to paint the target then the altitude doesn't really matter and the package will be delivered within a few feet of the paint. And if you can paint it then it can be within a few tens of feet seperation as long as the Good Guy ducks and covers to avoid the over splash.

Not to take away the mission but the F-15E crew came out with a couple or three medals over that mission. No other AC could have flown it and the crew had to have cajones the size of a B-52.

The last time that was required, the A-10 couldn't safely get below the fog. It took a F-15E flying nap of the earth to get the job done. The A-10 lacks the TFR to do that job. If the visibility is higher than that then almost anything can do the job because the SFs can now paint the target. If the SF can see to paint the target then the altitude doesn't really matter and the package will be delivered within a few feet of the paint. And if you can paint it then it can be within a few tens of feet seperation as long as the Good Guy ducks and covers to avoid the over splash.

Not to take away the mission but the F-15E crew came out with a couple or three medals over that mission. No other AC could have flown it and the crew had to have cajones the size of a B-52.

Hopefully it works out, but I'm not betting on it. There's a reason my self-defense gun is a revolver instead of a semi-auto. Technology fails more often than we'd like. I prefer to limit the opportunities for technology to fail when my life is in jeopardy. Apparently the USAF is perfectly fine putting GIs and Marines lives in danger with the hope that the high tech gizmos work.

Last I read, the overstuffed turkey won't be operational until 2019. If our liberal contingent is correct, Mrs. Rodham-Clinton/Lewinsky will have been in office for two years so World War III will be already lost. But maybe the winner will want the (perpetually) almost-completed aircraft for something. Who knows, maybe that winners will have both the will and the science to finish them.

Last edited:

Hopefully it works out, but I'm not betting on it. There's a reason my self-defense gun is a revolver instead of a semi-auto. Technology fails more often than we'd like. I prefer to limit the opportunities for technology to fail when my life is in jeopardy. Apparently the USAF is perfectly fine putting GIs and Marines lives in danger with the hope that the high tech gizmos work.

I prefer a wheel gun myself for home defense. You pull trigger, it goes bang. No fuss no Muss. And if I need more than 6 I'm probably dead anyway.

I am retired Military and it was my job to be willing to put my own ass in jeapordy if called upon just like 3 1/2 million other veterans. If you aren't willing then I hear Dairy Queen is hiring.

Last I read, the overstuffed turkey won't be operational until 2019. If our liberal contingent is correct, Mrs. Rodham-Clinton/Lewinsky will have been in office for two years so World War III will be already lost. But maybe the winner will want the (perpetually) almost-completed aircraft for something. Who knows, maybe that winners will have both the will and the science to finish them.

There you go again. Using 4 year old information. Here is some new stuff.

Second F-35B Squadron Becomes Operational Thursday | F-35 Lightning II
Marine Attack Squadron-211 will be officially redesignated as the Marine Corps' second Joint Strike Fighter operational squadron on Thursday, the service announced this week.

F-35A Nearly Combat Ready | F-35 Lightning II
The first off-station deployment exercise for the F-35A Lightning II confirmed that the Air Force’s newest fighter jet is on track to reach initial operational capability later this year.

A declaration of IOC means the F-35A will be combat ready.

F-35 Software Runs Smoothly During Mountain Home Deployment | F-35 Lightning II
The program office implemented a fix the following month, and pilots and maintainers who operated the plane during the June deployment at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho, said software bugs no longer seemed to be an issue.

"We cleared 88 of 88 sorties, and we were on time for 100 percent of those sorties for the large force exercises,” Maj. Brad Matherne, an F-35A pilot from the 34th Fighter Squadron, told reporters during a June 21 conference call. “We had zero losses due to any software stability issues that were previously out there.”

Seven F-35As and a total of 160 pilots, maintainers and other personnel from Hill Air Force Base, Utah, were sent to Mountain Home ahead of the F-35A’s initial operational capability, which could come as early as August. The deployment, which took place June 6-17, proved that the aircraft could successfully operate away from its home base against a variety of threats, said Col. David Lyons, commander 388th Fighter Wing and an F-35A pilot.

For the deployment, jets were outfitted with the latest version of the software, 3ib6.21, Matherne said. He said that no shutdowns occurred on the ground or in flight due to software glitches.

"To my knowledge, we did not have any degradations due to software instability,” he said. “From a mission systems and tactical employment, we met all of our tactical objectives, which would have been very difficult if that software was an issue, which it was not."

Air Force Sees Potential Combat Missions This Year for F-35 | F-35 Lightning II
“Where and when the airplane goes” depends on needs of combatant commanders": Chace

"There are no known technical issues that would prevent declaration of initial operational capability in window starting Aug. 1 and going through Dec.": Chace

Well, have you had enough? It goes fully operational sometime in August or September with it ready to be introduced into combat right after that. There are already 2 units that are going to be the first to go operational and they already have the toys to do just that along with the trained pilots and ground crews.

While you have been holding your hands over both ears yelling "Neaner, Neaner, Neaner" over and over they ignored you and went ahead and got it ready for operational and even built a Active and a Guard unit that is only waiting for the word to go operational.

I prefer a wheel gun myself for home defense. You pull trigger, it goes bang. No fuss no Muss. And if I need more than 6 I'm probably dead anyway.

I am retired Military and it was my job to be willing to put my own ass in jeapordy if called upon just like 3 1/2 million other veterans. If you aren't willing then I hear Dairy Queen is hiring.

I carry multiple speedloaders. I'm in it for the long haul if necessary.

Thank you for your service. Many in my family have served as well. Unfortunately the US Army decided that my birth defects and bad right knee were sufficient to deny me any chance at a combat-related MOS and I was not interested in a noncombat or combat support MOS when I graduated high school in 1992 or after 9-11-2001.

Forum List

Back