Question for any army medic

AliceWriter

Rookie
Jul 3, 2016
A kind soul on another forum directed me here to see if anyone could help me.

I've written a short story with the protagonist as a former army medic, who has to deliver a baby. He has to tell a doctor on the phone about his qualifications in a few words, so the doctor understands what he already knows.

Here is what my protagonist says:
"I’ve got an EMT-B certification and four years of field experience as an Army medic.” He briefly and efficiently described Stephanie’s medical condition, dilation and time between contractions. “I didn’t deliver a lot of babies in Iraq. Do you have someone that can talk me through it?”

My question is, does that sound realistic? It seems a little off to me, but then I have no idea how a combat medic might talk to a civilian medical professional to explain his credentials in a quick way. I have no idea if they get an EMT-B certification, and maybe army medics are trained in delivering babies. I would appreciate any advice that would make it more realistic.

I do have the entire story on my website, if anyone would care to read it. Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alice
the story: Driven | Petting The Raven

A kind soul on another forum directed me here to see if anyone could help me.

I've written a short story with the protagonist as a former army medic, who has to deliver a baby. He has to tell a doctor on the phone about his qualifications in a few words, so the doctor understands what he already knows.

Here is what my protagonist says:
"I’ve got an EMT-B certification and four years of field experience as an Army medic.” He briefly and efficiently described Stephanie’s medical condition, dilation and time between contractions. “I didn’t deliver a lot of babies in Iraq. Do you have someone that can talk me through it?”

My question is, does that sound realistic? It seems a little off to me, but then I have no idea how a combat medic might talk to a civilian medical professional to explain his credentials in a quick way. I have no idea if they get an EMT-B certification, and maybe army medics are trained in delivering babies. I would appreciate any advice that would make it more realistic.

I do have the entire story on my website, if anyone would care to read it. Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alice
the story: Driven | Petting The Raven

yes---it sounds perfectly plausible-----I was a navy medic

LOL. The baby made it, but might have been in some serious trouble without my medic hero. You can read the entire story at the link in my first post, if you like. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, just a bit unsure about the two lines I included in my first post.

Glad you made it. Told you there was some pros over here. Your original post was in a fruitcake military retired area that has been hijacked by some fruitcakes. While I was never a Medic, it's a tough read over here since it hits way too close to home.

Kudos.

Hope you keep writing and expand on this into a book.

Forum List

Back