What no looting?

Again, it is an observation. And yes they are comparable. The Japanese have suffered a disaster of a greater magnitude then NO, and are still acting like civilized people.

I would take the Japaneese people over the people of watts, detroit and NO any day of the week.

OK fair enough. I would not. None of those places would be my choice to live. To me highly ordered and highly disorganized is about the same problem in the final analysis. It is a highly organized and complacent society like the Japanese that allow insane building of nuclear reactors directly on the most active fault lines on the planet. It is complacency like the Japanese that allow the building of communities directly in the most predictable tsunami paths. The true dynamics of the disasters of NO and Japan are not that unlike in that they are really the result of poor planning and the authorities disregard for the safety of it's people which above all else should be job number one. Reducing the events to who stole the most televisions is obscene.

I wouldn't mind visiting Japan, I have some friends in the Military stationed there and they love it. One of them married a Japanese woman and never wants to leave.

Why is it the only countries that learned anything from WW2 were the losers?

I don't see how you can separate the reaction of the Japanese people from the preparedness provided them by their authorities. I'm sure you would see a similar reaction in any highly oppressed society. I doubt there would be looting in North Korea either. So what?

What difference does it make anyway. I wouldn't want to live in Japan. I wouldn't want to live in NO. I don't want to live in Watts or Detroit. The cultures of all of those places are suffocating.

Are you saying blacks in New Orleans were or are oppressed?

Come on... really?

Is 36 hours enough notice? Nagin first called for voluntary evacuations 40 hours before landfall.

How about 24 hours? Nagin ORDERED MANDATORY evacuations 24 hours and 36 minutes before the storm made landfall.

Keep in mind that NOAA had been advising evacuation, and that the levees would fail, for at least 72 hours prior to landfall.

Japan had no notice of the earthquake, and 15 minutes notice of the tsunami.

It isn't notification. It IS preparedness. And that responsibility falls on each individual, not the government. The people were told to get the hell out in plenty of time for them to have complied. They chose not to.

L-9 was not Bangladesh. Yes, they were poor, but they weren't incapacitated. Their biggest problem wasn't their lack of resources, it was their lack of common sense and order. Had they heeded the voluntary, or MANDATORY evacuation orders, Katrina would have been just another hurricane.

Maybe in your world but certainly not in Japan. In my world doing what is prudent to prevent a disaster would make more sense than expecting unprepared and under funded individuals to react to suit you to the neglect of the authorities that are charged with a communities safety.

I don't see how you can separate the reaction of the Japanese people from the preparedness provided them by their authorities. I'm sure you would see a similar reaction in any highly oppressed society. I doubt there would be looting in North Korea either. So what?

What difference does it make anyway. I wouldn't want to live in Japan. I wouldn't want to live in NO. I don't want to live in Watts or Detroit. The cultures of all of those places are suffocating.

Come on... really?

Not oppressed per say, but that city had a high volume of poverty and violence, it was in the top 10 in crime, hell I think it still is. You can't expect a city with those kind of numbers to behave like gentlemen when disaster strikes.

Is 36 hours enough notice? Nagin first called for voluntary evacuations 40 hours before landfall.

How about 24 hours? Nagin ORDERED MANDATORY evacuations 24 hours and 36 minutes before the storm made landfall.

Keep in mind that NOAA had been advising evacuation, and that the levees would fail, for at least 72 hours prior to landfall.

It isn't notification. It IS preparedness. And that responsibility falls on each individual, not the government. The people were told to get the hell out in plenty of time for them to have complied. They chose not to.

L-9 was not Bangladesh. Yes, they were poor, but they weren't incapacitated. Their biggest problem wasn't their lack of resources, it was their lack of common sense and order. Had they heeded the voluntary, or MANDATORY evacuation orders, Katrina would have been just another hurricane.

Maybe in your world but certainly not in Japan. In my world doing what is prudent to prevent a disaster would make more sense than expecting unprepared and under funded individuals to react to suit you to the neglect of the authorities that are charged with a communities safety.

The Japanese have been trained how to behave should a disaster like this occur---
by the authorties. They also believe that doing so will help save them. They acted on what they believed and it worked to their benefit.

Last edited:
OK fair enough. I would not. None of those places would be my choice to live. To me highly ordered and highly disorganized is about the same problem in the final analysis. It is a highly organized and complacent society like the Japanese that allow insane building of nuclear reactors directly on the most active fault lines on the planet. It is complacency like the Japanese that allow the building of communities directly in the most predictable tsunami paths. The true dynamics of the disasters of NO and Japan are not that unlike in that they are really the result of poor planning and the authorities disregard for the safety of it's people which above all else should be job number one. Reducing the events to who stole the most televisions is obscene.

I wouldn't mind visiting Japan, I have some friends in the Military stationed there and they love it. One of them married a Japanese woman and never wants to leave.

Why is it the only countries that learned anything from WW2 were the losers?

What do you mean by that?

Again, it is an observation. And yes they are comparable. The Japanese have suffered a disaster of a greater magnitude then NO, and are still acting like civilized people.

I would take the Japaneese people over the people of watts, detroit and NO any day of the week.

You would take foreigners, over your own American brothers and sisters?:(

In terms of the people who live in the places he named...for the most part,yes. Also in a disaster situation....YOU BET.

You would take foreigners, over your own American brothers and sisters?:(

In terms of the people who live in the places he named...for the most part,yes. Also in a disaster situation....YOU BET.

:(

They were told to leave. They chose not to. It really IS that simple.

We get about 20 tornado warnings a year (not watches, but warnings, which means there is an actual tornado in the area). I continue to live here. If I am killed in a tornado, I don't expect anyone to blame whoever the current President is for killing me. I don't expect anyone to make excuses for me. It will be no one's responsibility but my own, and God's.

I guess that's just me.

Come on... really?

Not oppressed per say, but that city had a high volume of poverty and violence, it was in the top 10 in crime, hell I think it still is. You can't expect a city with those kind of numbers to behave like gentlemen when disaster strikes.

Should we therefor have expected them to act like coyotes?

The Japanese have been trained how to behave should a disaster like this occur---
by the authorties. They also believe that doing so will help save them. They acted on what they beleived and it worked to their benefit.

Right, and what is ordering an evacuation? You don't need training to leave.

I am talking about what the people are doing AFTER the disaster. They are not a mob looting everything in site that is left.

What no looting?

I am watching the aftermath of the earthquake in Japan, something that has effected the entire country. Reports are coming in that the shops are closed and that people are on the roads looking for food and water.

I am amazed at the how the Japanese are responding... in comparison to how the people involved in the katrina flood responded.

They are not looting businesses or turning into whining animals.

Amazing comparison don't you think?

Apples and oranges. Japan's government responded 5 days faster than the US government. In the seiously damage areas that I've seen, there was nothing left. And it depends on your definition of 'looting'.

by the authorties. They also believe that doing so will help save them. They acted on what they beleived and it worked to their benefit.

I am talking about what the people are doing AFTER the disaster. They are not a mob looting everything in site that is left.

I heard in Pakistan when they had their earthquake US Troops brought in food and aid and the people refused to accept it and told us to leave, they chose to rather get aid from the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

You take a racially homogenous people with a centuries-old civilization and IQ's high enough to produce some of the world's most advanced technology, and that's what you get.

Take a country filled with third-world garbage and blacks with IQ's just above "mentally retarded", and this is what you get:

images

So, before anyone flips out, I humbly ask:

Am I being racist or truthful?

Are you refering to our imported European citizens as 'third world garbage'?

Come on... really?

I really dont know how to answer that, is there a handbook on how to act during a crisis? if you lived in New Orleans during Katrina and you had no water and no food in your house, are you saying you would sit there and wait for help to arrive?

Come on... really?

Still waiting for that proof of what I said.... or an admission that you were wrong. Just so you know. You might run away, I don't.

Come on... really?

Not a Democrat utopia after all now was it?
That city has been run by Dems for decades and we see where it leads to.

no ---they have respect for other people and other people's property.
They know that things in are store are not free to take simple because no one is there to catch them at it.

no ---they have respect for other people and other people's property.
They know that things in are store are not free to take simple because no one is there to catch them at it.

are you missing a few words? ....

I agree...the Japanese have respect for others. Something lacking here.

I also agree.... they took advantage of the hurricane as and excuse and cover to loot the city. You do remember that it was to DANGEROUS because of the PEOPLE to send in first responders don't you?

Forum List

Back