what languages do you speak?

which?

• Total voters
They are not as fluent as, for example, the Dutch and Scandinavians.

But, when it comes to being notoriously atrocious at learning, speaking and understanding a second language, Americans take the gold medal.
Not true at all.
Only reason most Americans don't learn another language is their was no reason to.
First - America is a massive country. It could swallow nearly all of Europe, add in Alaska and it would take half of the Middle East with it.
Second - English is the standard dominate language of the whole world. It is, still today, considered to be the only "world language".

Not true at all.
Only reason most Americans don't learn another language is their was no reason to.
First - America is a massive country. It could swallow nearly all of Europe, add in Alaska and it would take half of the Middle East with it.
Second - English is the standard dominate language of the whole world. It is, still today, considered to be the only "world language".
Excuses. :)

Plus another of their choice. Or at my school two.
Yes, because Europe is a continent where dozens of languages are spoken, and each country is small - all interconnected.
That is the point.
America is massive. There is simply no need to learn another language for at least 90% of the population.
Today, you can say there is a need to learn Spanish, but in reality it is Mexicans living here that need to learn English.

Yes, because Europe is a continent where dozens of languages are spoken, and each country is small - all interconnected.
That is the point.
America is massive. There is simply no need to learn another language for at least 90% of the population.
Today, you can say there is a need to learn Spanish, but in reality it is Mexicans living here that need to learn English.
Whether there is a "need" to learn another language depends on context. A country's size has nothing to do eith anything.

Yes, English is the lingua franca of the world, but most Americans are monolingual despite taking a foreign language in school.

Whether there is a "need" to learn another language depends on context. A country's size has nothing to do eith anything.

Yes, English is the lingua franca of the world, but most Americans are monolingual despite taking a foreign language in school.
Of course a countries size has relevance! Jesus dude... really?
If America was 5 different countries speaking 5 different languages, then OBVIOUSLY way-way more Americans would speak a second language, and probably have some moderate abilities in a 3rd.
But it isn't. America's mass is double that of Europe, is all English, and the language is the language of the world.
And high school language classes are, and have always been, a complete joke. You learn nothing.
6 months with Rosetta Stone will teach you more than 4 years of high school language.

You are just typifying the European "holier than thou" attitude. But worse, because you are really a European wannabe.

Of course a countries size has relevance! Jesus dude... really?
If America was 5 different countries speaking 5 different languages, then OBVIOUSLY way-way more Americans would speak a second language, and probably have some moderate abilities in a 3rd.
But it isn't. America's mass is double that of Europe, is all English, and the language is the language of the world.
And high school language classes are, and have always been, a complete joke. You learn nothing.
6 months with Rosetta Stone will teach you more than 4 years of high school language.

You are just typifying the European "holier than thou" attitude. But worse, because you are really a European wannabe.
Wannabe? Bish please.

I speak four languages fluently and am decent in a fifth I took in school and learnt a sixth for fun (although I gave it up after a couple months), but still know enough to understand the context of a news/sports show.

Wannabe? Bish please.

I speak four languages fluently and am decent in a fifth I took in school and learnt a sixth for fun (although I gave it up after a couple months), but still know enough to understand the context of a news/sports show.
Well.. good for you I guess.. you spent enormous time doing something that has no value for 90% of the population.
"Yes... I can speak Portuguese!!"..... yeah?... so how many Portuguese do you know?
"Well... none...."

:rolleyes:

Well.. good for you I guess.. you spent enormous time doing something that has no value for 90% of the population.
"Yes... I can speak Portuguese!!"..... yeah?... so how many Portuguese do you know?
"Well... none...."

:rolleyes:
I do not speak Portuguese, but I have that in my family, so I do know people who speak it.

Additionally, I did not have to spend too much time learning since I got most of them from birth. :)

I do not speak Portuguese, but I have that in my family, so I do know people who speak it.

Additionally, I did not have to spend too much time learning since I got most of them from birth. :)
Then why make blanket judgements about other people who don't?
Is there a reason you feel the need to promote yourself?
I primarily speak one language, I know some Spanish as my first wife was full blooded Mexican, and I know some German because my brother married a German gal many years ago.
And I have done well for myself financially and life, I had no reason to learn more languages. None.
It would have done nothing for my career, or my personal life.
And it certainly isn't something I would use as a measure of someone in any way.
You should rethink that attitude.

Forum List

Back