what languages do you speak?

which?

• Total voters
No, they're famous for having amazing English, along with the Dutch, the Austrians and the Scandinavians.
Absolutely not true.

Germans, unlike the Dutch and Nordics, dub all the imported American TV shows and movies making them less exposed to the language.

I doubt they are even top 10 in English proficiency.

Absolutely not true.

Germans, unlike the Dutch and Nordics, dub all the imported American TV shows and movies making them less exposed to the language.

I doubt they are even top 10 in English proficiency.

Of the countries which do not speak English as a language, Germany will be in the top 10 easily.

Germany is 10th on this list.

Singapore is 2nd, which is cheating as it's an official language. Half of all people speak English at home, more than any other language (and the Dutch are better than them...)

South Africa... is 9th... I mean... it's an English speaking country. The Chinese put it down as one of the few countries that can work as "native speakers" in the English teaching trade there.

So, Germany is, essentially, 8th in the world.

Of the countries which do not speak English as a language, Germany will be in the top 10 easily.

Germany is 10th on this list.

Singapore is 2nd, which is cheating as it's an official language. Half of all people speak English at home, more than any other language (and the Dutch are better than them...)

South Africa... is 9th... I mean... it's an English speaking country. The Chinese put it down as one of the few countries that can work as "native speakers" in the English teaching trade there.

So, Germany is, essentially, 8th in the world.
So, I was right.

Thank you.

Germans suck at English and if you ask any German they would agree.

So, I was right.

Thank you.

Germans suck at English and if you ask any German they would agree.

"I doubt they are even top 10 in English proficiency."

They're in the top 10.

How are you right?

And no, Germans don't suck at English. The French suck at English, the Spanish, the Italians suck at English. The Germans are in the top 8 countries in the world and they're all from the same area, ie, Germanic and Scandinavian countries.

The Germans had East Germany, which had Russian as a second language until 1990, so anyone 50 or older from the East probably doesn't speak English that well....

The West Germans on the other hand will probably speak it quite well. And compared to America as a country for learning second languages that aren't the mother tongue of a parent or guardian or family member..... well.....

They're in the top 10.

How are you right?

And no, Germans don't suck at English. The French suck at English, the Spanish, the Italians suck at English. The Germans are in the top 8 countries in the world and they're all from the same area, ie, Germanic and Scandinavian countries.

The Germans had East Germany, which had Russian as a second language until 1990, so anyone 50 or older from the East probably doesn't speak English that well....

The West Germans on the other hand will probably speak it quite well. And compared to America as a country for learning second languages that aren't the mother tongue of a parent or guardian or family member..... well.....
i agree!

They're in the top 10.

How are you right?

It is still the case that Germany, compared to other countries in the same region, are bad at English.

Only Germans I have interacted with have been either university students or university graduates, so they of course spoke better English than most Americans, but even they would say Germans are bad at English emphasising the explanation I already gave; dubbed TV-shows and also that German English classes do not value oral aspects of learning as highly as reading and writing.

It is still the case that Germany, compared to other countries in the same region, are bad at English.

Only Germans I have interacted with have been either university students or university graduates, so they of course spoke better English than most Americans, but even they would say Germans are bad at English emphasising the explanation I already gave; dubbed TV-shows and also that German English classes do not value oral aspects of learning as highly as reading and writing.

So, you're saying 8th in the world is bad?

I'm saying it isn't. You go to Germany, you can speak English. Same as Scandinavia and Austria, the Netherlands and parts of Belgium.

No where else in this world can you do that, unless the country literally speaks English as an official language.

I know, I've been to a LOT of countries and I've lived in Germany, and a load of other countries.

So, you're saying 8th in the world is bad?

I'm saying it isn't. You go to Germany, you can speak English. Same as Scandinavia and Austria, the Netherlands and parts of Belgium.

No where else in this world can you do that, unless the country literally speaks English as an official language.

I know, I've been to a LOT of countries and I've lived in Germany, and a load of other countries.
They are not as fluent as, for example, the Dutch and Scandinavians.

But, when it comes to being notoriously atrocious at learning, speaking and understanding a second language, Americans take the gold medal.

I learned a good bit of conversational Spanish when I was younger but I don't use it anymore so I'm sure my proficiency is pretty low right now.

I used to know a fair amount of American sign language not enough to be really fluent but enough to communicate with but again I haven't used it in a long time since the person who I used to use it with died so I doubt my ability to use it anymore.

They are not as fluent as, for example, the Dutch and Scandinavians.

But, when it comes to being notoriously atrocious at learning, speaking and understanding a second language, Americans take the gold medal.

Well, like I said, the rest of the world isn't very good either. They're not as fluent as others, but they don't need to be, they understand enough for people to get by easily, and to go to university in an English speaking country.

Forum List

Back