what languages do you speak?

which?

• Total voters
American English, fluently.

I speak a little conversational French due to being required to take three years of a foreign language in school.

I kno a few words of Spanish due to living with a Puerto Rican family the last eight years.

1. American English.

2. Can understand Spanish IF you speak slowly and use standard Spanish WITHOUT local idioms. I can speak it a bit, enough to give you instructions on how to take a bus, for example.

3. Can read (Mandarin) Chinese-written personal letter IF you write large characters and give me 24 hours to check my Chinese-English dictionary. Can speak and write it IF you give me 24 hours to compose the reply. Of course, when you hear me speak or read my Chinese, you will laugh like mad. NO WAY that I can understand spoken Chinese on TV or from someone speaking Mandarin.

(Zebra: When you get time, go to YouTube and type in Xiaoma. He is a Caucasian New Yorker who has an ear for languages. In short, he is a genius. His videos show him in Chinese restaurants ordering food in various Chinese dialects. Of course, the servers (waiters) are astonished!!!)

1. American English.

2. Can understand Spanish IF you speak slowly and use standard Spanish WITHOUT local idioms. I can speak it a bit, enough to give you instructions on how to take a bus, for example.

3. Can read (Mandarin) Chinese-written personal letter IF you write large characters and give me 24 hours to check my Chinese-English dictionary. Can speak and write it IF you give me 24 hours to compose the reply. Of course, when you hear me speak or read my Chinese, you will laugh like mad. NO WAY that I can understand spoken Chinese on TV or from someone speaking Mandarin.

(Zebra: When you get time, go to YouTube and type in Xiaoma. He is a Caucasian New Yorker who has an ear for languages. In short, he is a genius. His videos show him in Chinese restaurants ordering food in various Chinese dialects. Of course, the servers (waiters) are astonished!!!)
good to know

do you understand also Schweizerdeutsch = Schwyzerdüüütsch = Swiss German?

A German and a Brit happen to meet not long after the war.

German: "I don't understand. Ve prayed to God for victory but vere defeated."
Brit: "Oh my, God doesn't understand German."

1. American English.

Nothing worse than talking Chinese and people assume you can't, so they don't listen, and then they don't understand what you're saying because you're not fluent....

Forum List

Back