What Is The Republican Alternative To ObamaCare

Not true...

Gingrich’s Health Care Group Supports a Mandate

The Gingrich Group's most prominent project is the Center for Health Transformation, a for-profit outfit Gingrich launched in 2003 that works with clients to "drive transformation" within the health care system. The center promotes numerous programs, including its "Insure All Americans" initiative, which is run by Vincent Frakes, who previously worked on behalf of pharmaceutical companies at the lobbying and PR firm Bonner & Associates.

Here's a screenshot of the website, with the relevant section highlighted:

newt-gingrich-individual-mandate.png

That's a mandate. That's the current position of Gingrich's Center for Health Transformation. There's no ambiguity. (The Gingrich campaign did not respond to a request for comment.)

Of late, Gingrich has had an ever-shifting position on mandates. This past spring, on Meet the Press, he noted that he has "consistently" supported "some requirement" where "you either have health insurance or you post a bond or in some way you indicate you're going to be held accountable." But quickly afterward, his campaign released a video in which the former House speaker proclaimed he was against mandates:

I am completely opposed to the Obamacare mandate on individuals. I fought it for two and half years at the Center for Health Transformation…I am against any effort to impose a federal mandate on anyone because it is fundamentally wrong and I believe unconstitutional.

Gingrich neglected to mention that his Center for Health Transformation supports a mandate for anyone making over $50,000 a year.

You are an idiot, you don't know what a bond is?

Is it FREE to post a bond? Isn't the going rate around 10%? What is 10% of $50,000?

“We believe that there should be a must-carry — that is, everybody should have health insurance. Or, if you’re an absolute libertarian, we would allow you to post a bond. But we would not allow people to be free-riders failing to insure themselves and then showing up at the emergency room with no means of payment.”

Gingrich also expressed similar sentiments as recently as May 2011 in an appearance on “Meet the Press.” On the show Gingrich said, “I’ve said consistently that we ought to have some requirement that you either have health insurance, or you post a bond, or in some way you indicate you’re going to be held accountable.”

Newt Gingrich proposed surety bonds as alternative to mandated health insurance

Is it FREE to post a bond? Isn't the going rate around 10%? What is 10% of $50,000?

“We believe that there should be a must-carry — that is, everybody should have health insurance. Or, if you’re an absolute libertarian, we would allow you to post a bond. But we would not allow people to be free-riders failing to insure themselves and then showing up at the emergency room with no means of payment.”

Gingrich also expressed similar sentiments as recently as May 2011 in an appearance on “Meet the Press.” On the show Gingrich said, “I’ve said consistently that we ought to have some requirement that you either have health insurance, or you post a bond, or in some way you indicate you’re going to be held accountable.”

LOL... and that's meaningfully different from the mandate how exactly??

You didn't answer my question. I posting a bond FREE?

The Facts

Gingrich and Romney engaged in a brief but heated spat during the Oct. 18 GOP debate after the former speaker criticized Massachusetts’s health-care reform program as a big-government, high-cost solution for covering the uninsured. Here’s how the exchange unfolded:

Romney: Actually, Newt, we got the idea of an individual mandate from you.

Gingrich: That’s not true. You got it from the Heritage Foundation.

Romney: Yes, we got it from you, and you got it from the Heritage Foundation and from you.

Gingrich: Wait a second. What you just said is not true. You did not get that from me. You got it from the Heritage Foundation.

Romney: And you never supported them?

Gingrich: I agree with them, but I’m just saying, what you said to this audience just now plain wasn’t true.

Romney: OK. Let me ask, have you supported in the past an individual mandate?

Gingrich: I absolutely did with the Heritage Foundation against Hillarycare.

Sounds like a gotcha moment. Gingrich unequivocally denies that he deserves any credit for mandates, then admits that he “absolutely did” support the idea in the past.

How is requiring people pay their health care bills different than mandating they buy insurance? Are you retarded?

The Facts

Gingrich and Romney engaged in a brief but heated spat during the Oct. 18 GOP debate after the former speaker criticized Massachusetts’s health-care reform program as a big-government, high-cost solution for covering the uninsured. Here’s how the exchange unfolded:

Romney: Yes, we got it from you, and you got it from the Heritage Foundation and from you.

Gingrich: Wait a second. What you just said is not true. You did not get that from me. You got it from the Heritage Foundation.

Gingrich: I agree with them, but I’m just saying, what you said to this audience just now plain wasn’t true.

Sounds like a gotcha moment. Gingrich unequivocally denies that he deserves any credit for mandates, then admits that he “absolutely did” support the idea in the past.

IOW.. you are mentally handicapped. So much so in fact that you don't know the difference between mandating people pay their bills and mandating people buy insurance. What a freaking retard.

How is requiring people pay their health care bills different than mandating they buy insurance? Are you retarded?

Jeezus.... this is why I don't think there's a dimes worth of difference between Democrats and Republicans these days. Please go on channeling PMZ ....

The Facts

IOW.. you are mentally handicapped. So much so in fact that you don't know the difference between mandating people pay their bills and mandating people buy insurance. What a freaking retard.

You are a REAL retard. Gingrich IS mandating people buy insurance OR post a bond. You CAN'T mandate people pay their bills you fucking MORON.

The Facts

You are a REAL retard. Gingrich IS mandating people buy insurance OR post a bond. You CAN'T mandate people pay their bills you fucking MORON.

HAVING TO PAY YOUR HEALTH CARE BILLS USED TO BE THE LAW MORON. What's next you can steal your house and car to?

HAVING TO PAY YOUR HEALTH CARE BILLS USED TO BE THE LAW MORON. What's next you can steal your house and car to?

And it should be the law again. No need for mandates - for insurance or bonds.

You folks really are authoritarians.

The United States eliminated the imprisonment of debtors under federal law in 1833

You folks really are authoritarians.

The United States eliminated the imprisonment of debtors under federal law in 1833

as long as it doesn't have any elements of Heritagecare..... errr..... O'care, they're alright w/ it :thup: :rolleyes:

Do Repubs have a bill ready to go yet dealing w/ Health care?

Newt Gingrich: Republicans Rip Obamacare, but Have ‘Zero Answer’ for Alternatives

“I would bet for most of you, you go home in the next two weeks while your members of Congress are home and you look at them in the eye and you say, ‘What is your positive replacement for Obamacare?’ and they will have zero answer,” Gingrich told state party chairs, activists, and operatives at the Republican National Committee summer meeting. “We are caught up right now in a culture – and you see it every single day – where as long as we are negative, as long as we are vicious, as long as we can tear down our opponent, we don’t have to worry, so we don’t.

“This is a very deep problem,” he added. “I’m being totally candid with you.”

He knows you can't win national elections without having positive ideas.
They have NO plan. Zip, zilch, zero, nada, none.

The Facts

If Republicans didn't lie, they'd have nothing to say.

And if you don't have Health Insurance...You're a Criminal, subject to fine and imprisonment. How could anyone be celebrating this stuff? Obama and our Government just created another Law to control & oppress the People. More good Citizens to fine and imprison. Just the way this Police/Prison State likes it. This is nothing to celebrate. What a travesty.

And if you don't have Health Insurance...You're a Criminal, subject to fine and imprisonment. How could anyone be celebrating this stuff? Obama and our Government just created another Law to control & oppress the People. More good Citizens to fine and imprison. Just the way this Police/Prison State likes it. This is nothing to celebrate. What a travesty.

Yeah... I don't get it either. They seem fixated on the single payer pipedream, apparently thinking that whatever misery they drag us through on the way is worth it.

Regardless of whether or not that is a laudable goal, it's not where ACA is headed. I think some of them are beginning to realize they've been duped.

Yeah... I don't get it either. They seem fixated on the single payer pipedream, apparently thinking that whatever misery they drag us through on the way is worth it.

Regardless of whether or not that is a laudable goal, it's not where ACA is headed. I think some of them are beginning to realize they've been duped.

Most people are all for providing access to affordable Health Care to everyone. But this is not the way to do it. This is force and punishment. It's not what our nation is about. Shame on all who are cheerleading for this.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Bill would have ever passed if these politicians actually read and understood the Bill before it passed?
I wonder if they're actually good with the government mandating what type of insurance everyone must have?
I wonder if they actually understood that Obamacare would go far beyond just insuring those without insurance?

I think that the democrats and the twits on this board are in damage control trying to defend the debacle.
Democrats running for re-election are now running away from Obamacare, this speaks volumes.

Pelosi...."We have to pass the Bill to see what's in the Bill."
I hope capital hill learned a lesson from the words of this bitch.

The Police/Prison State has just created Millions more 'Criminals' who are not criminals. I just don't get all the celebrations. Too many Americans are just so ignorant. "If Obama said it, it must be right." What a mess.

Forum List

Back