What is the Biblical definition of Love?

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
The best of each's knowledge, the Biblical definitions of: Love, God.

Thanks!!~​

"God is Love"

Any other definitions you'd like to share - definition of Love...It's in the Bible somewhere as well.

And anyone who wants to add special meaning/interpretation to what those two definitions say in the literal sense...is there a deeper sense you'd like to elucidate, etc

I'd appreciate all of that information.

What Does The Bible Really Say About Love? | HuffPost

"...So perhaps for now it’s enough to recognize that all the different kinds of love we have explored are part and parcel of our life in this world, that God created and blessed them for our nurture, and that behind and beyond all of our expressions of love is God’s love for each of us. That’s not everything we could say, of course, but I think that if we get that much straight we’ve probably gotten the heart of what the Bible has to say about love."

"...So perhaps for now it’s enough to recognize that all the different kinds of love we have explored are part and parcel of our life in this world, that God created and blessed them for our nurture, and that behind and beyond all of our expressions of love is God’s love for each of us. That’s not everything we could say, of course, but I think that if we get that much straight we’ve probably gotten the heart of what the Bible has to say about love."
The Bible actually defines Love somewhere - "love is patient, love is kind"...i think it starts with.

I'm wondering what that definition is, exactly, and how the person responding interprets it, if not literally....and if literally, thats cool too.

Shortly after He washed their feet, Jesus told his disciples to love one another as I have loved you. John 13:34-35.

The Jesus demonstrated His love by his teachings, healings etc. Soon after He told his disciples to love one another He showed His love by dying for our sins.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
Shortly after He washed their feet, Jesus told his disciples to love one another as I have loved you. John 13:34-35.

The Jesus demonstrated His love by his teachings, healings etc. Soon after He told his disciples to love one another He showed His love by dying for our sins.
Thanks for sharing - how does the Bible define "Love?"

Paul spells out the definition of love in 1 Corinthians 13

I answered that. Jesus showed what love is by what He did. Also see above.

Oh, I getya, but I think in Corinthians it's defined. That's what I was looking for, think I found it.

Does anyone have a problem with the literal translation here - - - is there another interpretation anyone should take aside from literal? . . . . . thanks!

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 New International Version (NIV)
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 - New International Version

Oh, I getya, but I think in Corinthians it's defined. That's what I was looking for, think I found it.

Does anyone have a problem with the literal translation here - - - is there another interpretation anyone should take aside from literal? . . . . . thanks!

You asked for a Biblical definition of love. You've been given more than one passage from scriptures. Have you actually read them? Do you know the context the passages come from? If so, you would be able to come up with your own definition of love based on those Biblical readings....then it would look like you genuinely wanted to discuss this.

Thanks!

You asked for a Biblical definition of love. You've been given more than one passage from scriptures. Have you actually read them? Do you know the context the passages come from? If so, you would be able to come up with your own definition of love based on Biblical readings....then it would look like you genuinely wanted to discuss this.

Thanks!
You didnt have to answer, it's all gunna be okay!

You asked for a Biblical definition of love. You've been given more than one passage from scriptures. Have you actually read them? Do you know the context the passages come from? If so, you would be able to come up with your own definition of love based on Biblical readings....then it would look like you genuinely wanted to discuss this.

Thanks!
I did answer though. You're welcome.

Thanks!
Are you seeking conflict or something?

There's a biblical definition of love in Corinthians that I was looking for - you gave me some trope about Jesus' actions define love.

Cool - that was your contribution - why are you post-hoc seeking conflict still? You did your thing, awesome! And you were also thanked, what seems to be the major malfunction here?

Thanks!

There's a biblical definition of love in Corinthians that I was looking for - you gave me some trope about Jesus' actions define love.

Cool - that was your contribution - why are you post-hoc seeking conflict still? You did your thing, awesome! And you were also thanked, what seems to be the major malfunction here?
You're the only one seeking conflict. I'll leave you to your condescension. Pearls to pigs.

Thanks!

You're the only one seeking conflict. I'll leave you to your condescension. Pearls to pigs.
sure

The Bible actually defines Love somewhere - "love is patient, love is kind"...i think it starts with.

I'm wondering what that definition is, exactly, and how the person responding interprets it, if not literally....and if literally, thats cool too.
The Bible has quite a bit to say about love. It discusses each kind of love. There are hundreds of verses on love.

It also teaches that God is love. The Bible teaches that God is more like a verb than a noun. God can be thought of as truth, love, logic, etc.

The quote you reference is discussing love as God.

The Bible has quite a bit to say about love. It discusses each kind of love. There are hundreds of verses on love.

It also teaches that God is love. The Bible teaches that God is more like a verb than a noun. God can be thought of as truth, love, logic, etc.

The quote you reference is discussing love as God.
So is that fact or allegorical? I'll have to make a score card.

38 Bible Verses About Marriage
There's a bunch of Bible quotes about love in here, starting with the one you asked about. They recite it at weddings a lot.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

Forum List

Back