What is the Biblical definition of Love?

This must be one of those interpretation things...where contradictions are the fault of the readers as opposed to the writers...

but the bible, from what I've seen today, defines love as "not jealous"

defines god as "love"

And describes God as jealous.

Weird stuff.

Well if you want to be clunky and overly-literal to play gotcha games we can do that. But here it's the difference in the English language between proud and proud. For example, "I'm proud of you" meaning "I'm really glad you're doing well and take appropriate pleasure in your accomplishments" and "I'm too proud", meaning I'm arrogant.

God is a jealous God meaning He wants His people not to go chasing after false idols in the same way your probably don't want your wife in some different man's bed every night. This is actually right, proper and good. If she is not actually in some different man's bed every night, and yet you are still consumed by jealousy every time she steps out of the house, you are probably insane and doing her ill.

I don't think I have to explain this and get tired of Stupid Internet Games.
If you are talking about the verse where God says his name is jealous, I agree.

When reading the Bible people need to understand that the Jews saw God as extremely loving and caring. All verses need to be read in this light to properly understand the intent of the author and the meaning of the passage.

Too often people read the Bible looking to confirm their bias rather than looking for the intended meaning of the author.

It’s almost as disingenuous as them arguing that everything in the Bible is God’s direct command. Which is disingenuous on multiple levels.
It's not disingenuous to scrutinize a piece of literature. That's insanity, speaking. The Bible goes in and out of directly proclaiming to be the word of God.
It is disingenuous to misrepresent it intentionally.

No. People claim it is the word of God. The reality is it that it is their interpretation of the word of God.

So what is really going on here is you interpreting their interpretation in the worst possible light.
That's your opinion, Ding. I told you that I don't care about your opinions, but do-you, buddy.
Yes, you have told me that almost as many times as Hobelim has told me I’m going to hell.

Well if you want to be clunky and overly-literal to play gotcha games we can do that. But here it's the difference in the English language between proud and proud. For example, "I'm proud of you" meaning "I'm really glad you're doing well and take appropriate pleasure in your accomplishments" and "I'm too proud", meaning I'm arrogant.

God is a jealous God meaning He wants His people not to go chasing after false idols in the same way your probably don't want your wife in some different man's bed every night. This is actually right, proper and good. If she is not actually in some different man's bed every night, and yet you are still consumed by jealousy every time she steps out of the house, you are probably insane and doing her ill.

I don't think I have to explain this and get tired of Stupid Internet Games.

When reading the Bible people need to understand that the Jews saw God as extremely loving and caring. All verses need to be read in this light to properly understand the intent of the author and the meaning of the passage.

Too often people read the Bible looking to confirm their bias rather than looking for the intended meaning of the author.

It’s almost as disingenuous as them arguing that everything in the Bible is God’s direct command. Which is disingenuous on multiple levels.
It's not disingenuous to scrutinize a piece of literature. That's insanity, speaking. The Bible goes in and out of directly proclaiming to be the word of God.

No. People claim it is the word of God. The reality is it that it is their interpretation of the word of God.

So what is really going on here is you interpreting their interpretation in the worst possible light.
That's your opinion, Ding. I told you that I don't care about your opinions, but do-you, buddy.
Yes, you have told me that almost as many times as Hobelim has told me I’m going to hell.
And I had the added courtesy of saying it clearly, as opposed to HoBilly's wizard-ebonics for kids.

And I had the added courtesy of saying it clearly, as opposed to HoBilly's wizard-ebonics for kids.
And I truly appreciate it too.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
The best of each's knowledge, the Biblical definitions of: Love, God.

Thanks!!~​

biblical love = loving your children so much that you'll torment them in hell for all eternity if they commit some idiotic "sin" or don't worship you.

Now THAT is LOVE!

I love conservatives....

That is why I come here to torment them.....

Thanks!!~​

biblical love = loving your children so much that you'll torment them in hell for all eternity if they commit some idiotic "sin" or don't worship you.

Now THAT is LOVE!

I love conservatives....

No one knows their fate and you never punished your child before?

Thanks!!~​

Now THAT is LOVE!

I love conservatives....

The punishment is to forge a behavior under the threat of duress. Coercion, the opposite of free will...which is another interesting incongruity.

Thanks!!~​

Now THAT is LOVE!

I love conservatives....

The punishment is to forge a behavior under the threat of duress. Coercion, the opposite of free will...which is another interesting incongruity.
Has God told you he’s going to punish you, GT?

Or is this you intentionally misrepresenting scripture again for the express purpose of confirming your bias.

You do realize that the Bible is overwhelmingly a book about life and not what happens to you when you die, right?

Thanks!!~​

Now THAT is LOVE!

I love conservatives....

Or is this you intentionally misrepresenting scripture again for the express purpose of confirming your bias.

You do realize that the Bible is overwhelmingly a book about life and not what happens to you when you die, right?
I don't EVEN care about your interpretation ENOUGH to CALL it intentional representation.

Thanks!!~​

Now THAT is LOVE!

I love conservatives....

I don't EVEN care about your interpretation ENOUGH to CALL it intentional representation.
Of course it was intentional.

You can’t argue that the Bible isn’t a how to book; how to live life and how not to live life.

So focusing on punishment is so far wide of the mark that it can only be intentional.

Thanks!!~​

Now THAT is LOVE!

I love conservatives....

You can’t argue that the Bible isn’t a how to book; how to live life and how not to live life.

So focusing on punishment is so far wide of the mark that it can only be intentional.
It's not up to you to determine any point in any book one is and isn't allowed to focus on. When punishments are within the book, it's appropriate to analyze and it's not dishonest merely because you don't like the scrutiny, Ding. I don't care if you don't like it, the threats are there...and also in EVERY interpreted version, too.

Now THAT is LOVE!

I love conservatives....

It's not up to you to determine any point in any book one is and isn't allowed to focus on. When punishments are within the book, it's appropriate to analyze and it's not dishonest merely because you don't like the scrutiny, Ding. I don't care if you don't like it, the threats are there...and also in EVERY interpreted version, too.
The book isn’t about what happens after death.

It’s about living life. Overwhelmingly so.

Forum List

Back