What is it like to be an Israeli?

Sderot and Oteff Aza (The Gaza civinity) are the soft stomach of Israel. We sometimes call them the transparent people. In a media that is filled with Gaza deaths and destruction and IDF 'aggression' we forget the transparent people of southern Israel.

Daniyel will agree with me or not, but there are certain things only southerners will understand (not to be offensive). We have an amazing district with amazing society and wonderful people, and their voice is hardly ever heard. Southerners are the true pioneers of this land. We're farmers and workers and the desert bloomers. People tend to forget we're here.

I remember that some people were reminded of the south only in 2009. One of my roomates laughed at me once, before the war, saying, "Say, you still ride camels in wherever is that you live"? and I was like "Ha-frickin'-ha, hilarious:doubt:" Then Cast Lead started and people started noticing we're part of this state, not only "on the way to Eilat".

Sderot is not there to tempt the missiles just like Eshkol, Ashkelon and Be'er Sheva are not there to tempt the missiles. Those places exist because of a vision. When Ben Gurion spoke of Israel he didn't speak of Herzeliya and Savion, he said- "In the south shall Zionism be tested", and added that Zionism is incomplete till the south is filled with people and blooming. His favorite sentence was taken from the Talmud- "Wealth belongs to the north, and wisdom to the south. Rabbi Isaac said In Baba Bathra- whoever seeks wisdom, south shall he go".

I am a small person, and I don't decide if there should be war or not. I'm southerner, we're watchers in our nature, hardly doers (which is our greatest fault, if you ask me). We just want peace and quiet in the area. And we don't believe empty words, we want something to guarentee the lives of future generations here. Hoping for the possibility, still

I'm sorry for you, having to live under such threats and stress and then having to deal with some of the people who are against you. I hope that your country can find a way to have at least some semblance of peace some day. Stay safe.

Forum List

Back